PDA

View Full Version : Squeeking rear suspension AND whistling noise on startup

JeremyCivic
27-09-2007, 07:00 PM
So I took the ek4 on a trip the other day. Unfortunately, part of the trip involved driving on country roads (dusty, muddy, dirt everywhere AND VERY bumpy)

PROBLEM 1:
Straight after i got back onto normal roads, i notice that my rear suspension is squeeking. And it still is to this day (2 days now). I'm hoping it is due to all the dust, rocks etc thats all covering the suspension as there are heaps! I can see small rocks, and heaps of dust in between the springs, between the top of the shock and the car itself, just EVERYWHERE. Could that be a possibility? Or are my shocks gone from the road being soo bumpy. My shocks never showed any sign of wear at all prior to this event.

PROBLEM 2:
So after this country drive, i noticed that EVERY single time i start the car up now, it makes a whistling sound for a few seconds then stops. This NEVER happened before either. Is it possible that the dust and dirt also got into something under the engine back (where its not meant to be) that is responsible for starting up the car quietly?!

I've been busting my balls thinking about this..any help is greatly appreciated.

bennjamin
27-09-2007, 09:37 PM
1. dirt / grease / rocks can flick up into your springs and shocks etc , and can make all sorts of noises. Its sealed ( the shocks) so if you want you can get a hi pressure hose and give a good clean up inside teh wheel arches.

2. You air filter might be clogged ?! Check it out...

blk_shadow
28-09-2007, 12:06 AM
PROBLEM 1:
Straight after i got back onto normal roads, i notice that my rear suspension is squeeking. And it still is to this day (2 days now). I'm hoping it is due to all the dust, rocks etc thats all covering the suspension as there are heaps! I can see small rocks, and heaps of dust in between the springs, between the top of the shock and the car itself, just EVERYWHERE. Could that be a possibility? Or are my shocks gone from the road being soo bumpy. My shocks never showed any sign of wear at all prior to this event.

when your shocks worn out, they won't squeek no more. its more like a knocking sound on a bumpy road. and its rougher (cos the absorber is gone and only the springs are doing the job).

Professional
28-09-2007, 01:46 AM
For the Problem 1:

Are you sure the squeek sound from your suspenion? It maybe some small stones between the brake disc and disc guard. Or, due to bumpy road, some bolts got loosen. It is not sure. Have to check it step by step by yourself or right person.

For the Problem 2:

Check your air filter. It should have many dust. After you clean it up, the happen is still on. You need to clean up the sensor that relative to you intake. Maybe some dust cover the sensor seriously.

Just my opinions. Hope it may help !!

So I took the ek4 on a trip the other day. Unfortunately, part of the trip involved driving on country roads (dusty, muddy, dirt everywhere AND VERY bumpy)

PROBLEM 1:

PROBLEM 2:
So after this country drive, i noticed that EVERY single time i start the car up now, it makes a whistling sound for a few seconds then stops. This NEVER happened before either. Is it possible that the dust and dirt also got into something under the engine back (where its not meant to be) that is responsible for starting up the car quietly?!

I've been busting my balls thinking about this..any help is greatly appreciated.

JeremyCivic
28-09-2007, 09:27 AM
UPDATE:

Problem 2 has been rectified. I simply sprayed some wd40 onto the alternator belt and seems to have remove the startup squeel. Good ol' wd40.

dupac->
28-09-2007, 09:53 AM
yeah i had the same problem on my ek4 coming from the left side of the motor. mainly only very cold starts. but yeah it fixed itself
lol
the whistle sound..

possum piss works well
lol

AsH_
29-09-2007, 08:45 PM
my rear right suspension squeaked very loud like metal hitting each other, like something was loose... wen i drove over bumps... after a week or two it disappeared...

but it feels harder on the rear right side when i go over bumps... or if i drive over the reflectors on the road...

cornering feels the same... real good...

i've got coilovers...

does it sound like the shock is gone???

1996ek1
29-09-2007, 10:44 PM
It should have many dust. After you clean it up, the happen is still on. You need to clean up the sensor that relative to you intake. Maybe some dust cover the sensor seriously.

Lol what the hell are you talking about. I can JUST understand it, but thats very poor english....

thaaznboi
30-09-2007, 01:47 AM
could it be possibly ur bushes? as my EG made a simaliar noise when goin over humps and going down driveways in reverse. then i got performance bushes all around n it's all gud