PDA

View Full Version : My Euro is buckling!

Unkie
29-09-2007, 12:20 PM
About a year ago I noticed a slight buckle around one edge of my sunroof on my 04 Euro, and didn't pay too much attention to it.
Yesterday I had another look and not only has it buckled alot, the paints come of too!!

What could be causing this? A weak chassis or strength around the roofline? The car has never been in any accidents or impacts of any sort that could have caused this.

Not impressed

You can see from the reflection of the telegraph pole the degree of the buckle in the roof on the driver's side:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/Unkie73/DSC03662.jpg

This is the passengers side:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/Unkie73/DSC03661.jpg

And the paint thats come off on the passenger side from where the buckle has caused the paint to crack and peel off

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/Unkie73/DSC03663.jpg

straightR
29-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Damn that's bad, sorry to hear man.

traumatized
29-09-2007, 12:50 PM
damn that doesn't look good maybe something hit it while you were parked somewhere

i would suggest you get that fixed as soon as possible as rust is already forming on that which means the paint has peeled off for awhile now leaving the bare metal to rust which will only spread.

to fix that right they (spray painter) will need to paint the entire roof of your car.

yfin
29-09-2007, 12:55 PM
holy crap that is a serious problem and the sunroof doesn't look like it is sealing properly either. I hope your car is still under warranty.

SlobberGoat
29-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Are you running coilovers with a high spring rate?
Or are you doing lots of hard braking/cornering?

Unkie
29-09-2007, 01:14 PM
The car has just come off warrantly unfortunately, althought rust and paintwork warrantly was longer than the mechanical warrantly from memory? I need to look that up.

I've got lowering springs, but its not that much firmer.

EuroDude
29-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Damn it looks like something heavy may have fallen on it. Perhaps a large branch or rock.
I cant see how that could be caused by the chassis buckling or anything like that. Unless a spot weld has come apart.

Min988
29-09-2007, 05:35 PM
OMG! Im going to check my roof now!

xntrik
29-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Do termites eat metal now? D:

**** thats bad damage, especially on the roof panel.

T-onedc2
29-09-2007, 05:40 PM
looks a bit like someone has jumped up and down on your sunroof edges. Does the interior show any signs as well?

r-r-redEuro
29-09-2007, 07:17 PM
having sex through the sunroof ? =P lol

i joking i joking. but damn that looks bad.

bennjamin
29-09-2007, 07:22 PM
did you purchase new ?

that appears to be by previous repairs - middle section can sag.

Limbo
29-09-2007, 08:21 PM
yeah i agree with Ben. Looks like a bodgy repair and the rain has gotten in causing the area to rust and now buckle.

sodaz
29-09-2007, 10:31 PM
It has nothing to do with suspension setup. Even a race car setup wouldn't cause a car to buckle like that. Looks like a dodgy repair job to me.

Unkie
30-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Yeah it sucks balls.
I bought the car new in 2004; there was only a month or so between the build date and the delivery date, so not too much time for mistreatment by dealers or what not.

I guess I'll take it to the dealer on tuesday and have it looked at.

Does anyone know whether this might fall under the paint and rustproof warranty?

Unkie
30-09-2007, 08:51 AM
There's definitely been no trauma to the roof; these are the only two points with problems. No trees (or people :P) having a go at the roof

yfin
30-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Honda should help you even if your car is just out of warranty. Let us know how you go

Entity
30-09-2007, 12:21 PM
yeah please let us know, from my experience honda aren't very helpful with any kind of warranty claims... i have been out of pocket a fair bit fixing items which should very well have been covered under warranty (and my car still has one year of warranty left..)

DreadAngel
30-09-2007, 12:47 PM
FARK!!! Unkie man, I didn't notice your car ever had that problem, probably too busy lookin' at the rest of your baby lol. Last time I saw your Euro, didn't see a bump or anything...

Unkie
30-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks for your input guys.
Not impressed with the quality, but shit happens. I'll clean my car up tomorrow (so they don't think i've neglected it :P), take it to the dealer on tues and let u guys know how i go.

I just cant figure out what I've done with the car differently that may have caused this :confused:

Unkie
30-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks yoey, I feel your love :)

I didn't see anything wrong with the paintwork til a week ago and all of a sudden it was all peeling off! sheesh

Some anti-rust and a black texta - it'll buff right out :P

FARK!!! Unkie man, I didn't notice your car ever had that problem, probably too busy lookin' at the rest of your baby lol. Last time I saw your Euro, didn't see a bump or anything...

Pumped
30-09-2007, 06:07 PM
A mate of mine who works at a smash repairer told me of a few cases where he had seen euros come in with buckled boot lids apparently caused by heat.
Not exactly sure on what caused it

DreadAngel
30-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Hehehehe Unkie :p I hope you find out whats wrong la, looks bad :( LOL @ Anti-Rust and Black Texta, I'll provide the buffer! Bwahahaha

Called Thai quality lol... My Uncle's Euro has had trival problems including broken armrest clip (the storage behind the handbrake whatever its called lol), broken plastic strips on the roof that line the sides and a few other misc plastic cars perishing under his oh so powerful grasp...

Alpine
30-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Called Thai quality lol...

It was my understanding the Euro is from Japan...not Thailand. The larger Accord is from Thailand.

euro77
30-09-2007, 07:13 PM
It was my understanding the Euro is from Japan...not Thailand. The larger Accord is from Thailand.

I am with you, I'm 100% sure that Accord Euro is made in japan, the Accord V6 (and its 4 cylinder one) is the one made in thailand.

DreadAngel
30-09-2007, 07:29 PM
My bad fellas, that means its even worse... Could it be Japanese quality is falling? (My EG NEVER had problems like this) or they're using cheap cheap stuff? The parts maybe manufactured elsewhere then assembled in Japan?

akina
30-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Yes, some parts are manufactured in thailand and assembled in japan. I know that my wheels were. Also when they gave me the car (brand new) my tyres were running on 40! where it should have been 34/32 recommended.

DreadAngel
14-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Any news Unkie? :(

Unkie
14-10-2007, 11:09 AM
The dealer had a look and took some photos to send to headquarters. Now Honda Australia is sending someone out on tuesday coming for an assessment.

They better not try to blame things like "firmer suspension" or "non-standard wheels" as a cause of my roof going wonky!

Mr_will
14-10-2007, 11:10 AM
The dealer had a look and took some photos to send to headquarters. Now Honda Australia is sending someone out on tuesday coming for an assessment.

They better not try to blame things like "firmer suspension" or "non-standard wheels" as a cause of my roof going wonky!

why not pop your standard suspension back on?

DreadAngel
14-10-2007, 11:22 AM

I doubt they can la, you must be running damn stiff stuff for the roof to go wonky =| Last time I checked, I was running stiffer setup and my roof was intact and in good condition LOL

Guess they don't build cars like they use to

SiReal
14-10-2007, 11:46 AM
just put your stock wheels back on when they come arond i guess.

tron07
15-10-2007, 10:28 AM
I would try to make it look as stock as possible when bring in it back to the dealers...

Anway wheels should be quite all right, if its the same specs, 17" or even maybe slightly bigger at 18". Hope they can do something for your buckling problems.

tknova
15-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Bring your car in as it is, you have nothing to hide

Your body has a 7 yr warranty.
And there are 1982 gemini's with no springs driving around that are perfect
Just hope the roof hasn't been repaired/painted or anything.

big jim
31-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Any word on what honda plans to do about your roof unkie its been a while.

Unkie
31-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Hey guys, a honda rep came around and had a look, and claimed that the roof had been "subject to a downward force" of sorts e.g. someones gone stomping on the roof.
That was his final word and said it wasnt warrantable... end of story.

I'm not convinced that someone on the roof would have buckled the roofline or depressed both edges of the sunroof (esp without a spot depression where a shoe or palm may have stomped).

God knows what happens to my car when its parked on the street here and there, so I can't entirely rule out that someones been on the roof...

So from here, I'll take it to a paint shop to have it looked at, otherwise I'll just turn a blind eye to it :P

as001
31-10-2007, 07:05 PM
that would make sense i guess either way i reckon you should get it fixed that rust aint a good thing

Unkie
31-10-2007, 07:08 PM
To clarify, the Honda assessor noted that the roof on both sides of the sunroof is depressed, and may have been pushed down (by what he claims was someone 'skylarking' out of my sunroof by riding on the roof through the sunroof, which is outrageous. I initially laughed at the concept as I would never let anyone do that, but the assessor was quite adamant and suggested I was lying to him).

It's strange that both sides has been depressed evenly on both sides, and linearly for the whole length of the sunroof (i.e. not just a spot where a hand or foot has pressed), and that the potential weight of someone pressing on the roof can allegedly deform it like that.

Unkie
31-10-2007, 07:08 PM
yeah so it doesn't seem a warranty job, so i'll have a shop look at it and see what they can do

atleast cease the rust and touch up the paint defect

big jim
31-10-2007, 07:24 PM
bad luck mate was hopin for a better outcome for ya

traumatized
31-10-2007, 07:25 PM
if you are not entirely happy with what honda has stated you could alway call up honda australia directly and ask them to look into it again, state the reasons as you have stated above and they might come out again and take another look.

DreadAngel
31-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Man, that sucks Unkie :(

Basically the assessor reckons someone had a party on your roof that somehow caused a even depression along both edges =|

Mr_will
31-10-2007, 09:01 PM
dude dont take that shit.

if you didnt cause this damage then you shouldnt have to fork out for it.

dont give up. be polite but firm and escalate the case until you can go no further.

tknova
01-11-2007, 06:09 AM
That is crap.

Definatly get Honda Australia involved now

Is this Honda assesor even a panel beater? is he qualified to make this kind of a statement?

If honda knock you back i would be seeking legal advise with my own independent assesor.

Good luck!

thenozman
06-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Hi Guys,

Someone walked over my euro when she was six months old.

You could see the footprints (i.e. dents corresponding with footprints) going over the bonet, the roof and the boot. Ended up having to get a dent pulled from the back of the bonet near the "a" pillar, a new roof put on and several dents pulled out of the boot lid. The roof is pretty weak and it was bloody obvious that someone had walked on the car.

I would think that similar damage would have been sustained to unkie's car if that's what happened.

Unkie, i would definately get an independant assessment of the damage. If it turns out that someone did walk over the car, you may be able to recover against your insurance.

Good luck!

Unkie
06-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks guys for the messages and advice!

I agree it would be worthwhile getting an independent assessment of the damage, and will do that soon.

I'm just turning a blind eye to it for the time being :P (unitl i get some time off work)

I'll keep you all posted on how things pan out

Thanks again!

minircc
13-04-2008, 05:03 PM
don't bother with honda, from what i can see it's not their fault
it happened to me too
parked my car at chapel st and had someone run up from bonnet and jumped on sunroof..
i could see the foot prints and had exact/similar damage to sunroof as you did