PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper Exhaust

B18cEG
30-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Hi people,

I have nearly finished doing my na build and was wondering if anyone has tips for the following question.

I am going to get a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust made up and was wondering what is the best way without using Y outlets or electronic control valves to make a super quiet yet high flowing exhaust, so it sounds like a new car (quiet) when cruising but obviously it will get louder with acceleration.

Car: eg hatch
Mods: super aggressive cams & valvetrain, hi comp pistons
Thanks

vteccoupe
30-09-2007, 11:12 PM
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1021_1031_1053_1110&osCsid=c7324d53fb14eb9c11ed77e21a941491

the above might b the kinda sleeper style muffler u r looking for...i just ordered one from them :thumbsup:

Zdster
30-09-2007, 11:33 PM
All of the ones shown in the above link are straight through so are not going to be quite.

For a quieter system look into a twin loop muffler.

B18cEG
30-09-2007, 11:36 PM
i was originally thinking of putting a few long resonators in line. anyone tried

xntrik
30-09-2007, 11:55 PM
Cant you just get a silencer?

B18cEG
01-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Cant you just get a silencer?

In my opinion ther should be a way to do it without ANY devices or anything, there must be a way to make a genuine quiet exhaust.

vteccoupe
01-10-2007, 12:55 AM
btw im going 2.5inch as well

2.5inch wif these mufflers wld b deep sounding and not loud..
go listen to some of it
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u172/ncz13/?action=view&current=DSCF1799.flv

the intake sound is louder than exhaust :thumbsup:

In my opinion ther should be a way to do it without ANY devices or anything, there must be a way to make a genuine quiet exhaust.

Limo
01-10-2007, 01:09 AM
use a nice and big muffler at the rear end, like magnaflow or lukey. im running a 3" and its abit louder than stock. muffler is like 21" oval one.

czy_sol87
01-10-2007, 01:56 AM
use a nice and big muffler at the rear end, like magnaflow or lukey. im running a 3" and its abit louder than stock. muffler is like 21" oval one.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:good info

DLO01
01-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Its a bit of a compromise somtimes between noise and performance.

To not compromise performance, but try to get it as quiet as possible.
Either get a Twin loop or a muffler with a large casing. You could look in to resonators as well.

B18cEG
01-10-2007, 09:06 AM
well i have a nice big muffler that i wanna use, i wanted to mount the muffler in the rear bumper, it fits ive tried, so i can get that extra metre of exhaust. thanks for the info but now i ask, if i put like 3 long resonators to make up the straight section of exhaust (even 3" in/out) will this hurt performance?

aimre
01-10-2007, 12:33 PM
i was originally thinking of putting a few long resonators in line. anyone tried

I was also thinking this... anyone tried?

bennjamin
01-10-2007, 01:06 PM
use as many resonators as possible and a offset ( not straight thru) muffler. Get a muffler off a big ford or holden ( like you see on new utes etc) and that will muffle out alot of the crappy noise.

Limbo
01-10-2007, 01:11 PM
i've had a few tries at this and i tried putting 2 reasonators on.
Yes it is quieter but you also feel a light resistance in the exhaust when at WOT. As someone stated its a compromise between quietness and performance.

So far i've been able to get the noise down by using a large body muffler and 1 reasonator. The quality of the muffler is where you can make the difference.

P.S if you get a Jasma rated one it will be quieter but it does restrict more

Kiz_EG6
01-10-2007, 01:26 PM
i've had a few tries at this and i tried putting 2 reasonators on.
Yes it is quieter but you also feel a light resistance in the exhaust when at WOT. As someone stated its a compromise between quietness and performance.

So far i've been able to get the noise down by using a large body muffler and 1 reasonator. The quality of the muffler is where you can make the difference.

P.S if you get a Jasma rated one it will be quieter but it does restrict more

Hey man, as said above the twin loops i've heard from x-force are pretty quiet and still allow a good healthy flow!

There is also the x-force varex system, which has a remote controlled silencer, i've seen (or more to the point, heard) a Wrx with one of these fitted and i'll tell you, the noise difference between max and min was VERY impressive!!

xqwzit
01-10-2007, 02:49 PM

magnaflow gets reallly loud when u floor it, but at low revs its jsut like stock..

ZeForce
01-10-2007, 03:08 PM
magnaflow gets reallly loud when u floor it, but at low revs its jsut like stock..

Anyone else had experience with magnaflow? Im shopping around for a relatively quiet muffler atm

DLO01
01-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I have Maganaflow 3 inch muffler, Oval casing on my turbo ITR. 3 inch from turbo all the way though, with only Metal cat in the middle.

Its quite quiet at idle and not too loud when you give it some. Yes the turbo keeps it quite as well, but for my setup its great. Not to loud at all.

I wanted to have as quiet car as possible without least amount of restrictions. Thats why I got a good brand large casing muffler and no resonators. Am very happy with the way it sounds.

ZeForce
01-10-2007, 03:23 PM
How would you say it compares to a twinloop?

DLO01
01-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Never used a twin loop.

Depends how the mufflers are made, they are all different.

Twin loops you would think would be quieter as they effectivly muffle on 2 passes, but then you would think that it would have slightly more resistance, more bends, 2 passes through the casing.

Or is it just much of a muchness?

ZeForce
01-10-2007, 04:20 PM
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopdisplaycategories.asp?zone=main&id=303

Whats ppl thoughts on this type of muffler?

xqwzit
01-10-2007, 05:08 PM
turbo with magnaflow is way way quieter than NA thru out the rev range...
and the engine is louder

bennjamin
01-10-2007, 08:36 PM
i have a fake twin loop on my civic - 2.5 cat back to a 2.5 xforce thing.
Sounds deep at idel and loud , them gets alittle quieter @ VTEC crossover lol.
Feels OK but you can get quieter

Limo
01-10-2007, 10:02 PM
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopdisplaycategories.asp?zone=main&id=303

Whats ppl thoughts on this type of muffler?

yeh mine is like the oval one on the left with the offset, set me back ~$330

kingyy
01-10-2007, 10:09 PM
i have a 2.5" system with a skyline hi flow cat and the OEM muffler and its quite as

NSPYRE
02-10-2007, 01:02 AM
i've used both the X-Force twin loop on my DA and magnaflow on my EH. both 2.25" inlet with 3" tip. both with hi-flo cats and after-market headers (DA hav megan and EH hav custom made ceramic coated).

twin-loop was really quiet on idle and every day driving. on WOT, it gets fairly loud but no where near a canon. intake noise can be heard over exhaust easily.

as for magnaflow, definately louder and deeper on idle and everyday but not by much. on WOT, it really begins to roar. intake noise however can still be heard so its not that ridiculous

conclusion: twin-loop was nice and quiet and still provided decent flow characteristics so if u want maximum sound restriction, go with this. however, i'd go for the magnaflow. better quality, straight-through design for better flow and sound is beautiful. nice deep tone. hope this helps :)

ZeForce
02-10-2007, 01:32 AM
i've used both the X-Force twin loop on my DA and magnaflow on my EH. both 2.25" inlet with 3" tip. both with hi-flo cats and after-market headers (DA hav megan and EH hav custom made ceramic coated).

twin-loop was really quiet on idle and every day driving. on WOT, it gets fairly loud but no where near a canon. intake noise can be heard over exhaust easily.

as for magnaflow, definately louder and deeper on idle and everyday but not by much. on WOT, it really begins to roar. intake noise however can still be heard so its not that ridiculous

conclusion: twin-loop was nice and quiet and still provided decent flow characteristics so if u want maximum sound restriction, go with this. however, i'd go for the magnaflow. better quality, straight-through design for better flow and sound is beautiful. nice deep tone. hope this helps :)

Thanks, I would give you +rep if i could

B18cEG
02-10-2007, 09:56 AM
thanks for the info, the more the better, i will also try and call some exhaust places and see what they reakon.

twing
02-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Have a read on this article:
http://autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0383&P=1
Very old one though... 1999 :P But it has good info about muffler design.

I try to look for genie muffler website. Anyone know?

90LAN
02-10-2007, 04:43 PM
forget doing custom
just save for mugen twin loop dead quiet on idle and on vtec u mostly hear the vtec induction 2.5 inch too
very good exhaust for quietness

ZeForce
02-10-2007, 07:05 PM
forget doing custom
just save for mugen twin loop dead quiet on idle and on vtec u mostly hear the vtec induction 2.5 inch too
very good exhaust for quietness

The mugen system are very pricey

90LAN
02-10-2007, 07:41 PM
what u were going to get is the same price that people are selling 2nd hand
u can get the dc2r one just have to shorten the axle piping by 10 cm to suit
eg chasis, perfect fitment and sound u are after
some times its better to save to get a better product than get a inferior one

EG30
02-10-2007, 09:09 PM
How different are the genuine Mugen twinloop vs the Xforce knockoffs in terms of noise and flow? Surely it can't be that hard to copy a rear muffler right ( ie much easier than copying 4-2-1 headers )?

We bought a mugen cat back from one of the traders in this forum for our dc2r, but can't justify the expense in my EG5 yet and I'm either going to use the left over dc2r OE rear muffler modified/fitted by an exhaust place or to fit the xforce twinloop. At the moment I'm leaning towards the dc2r muffler for the stealth factor.

bennjamin
02-10-2007, 11:41 PM
difference in knock off VS real = longevity and overall quality.
A X force twin loop will be exactly the same as a mugen in the short term.
But give it X amount of time and the X force has reports of collapsing internally

you get what you pay for

yourfather
03-10-2007, 12:31 AM
hi.

my suggestion

VISION Technica Street Muffler.

Not the N1. It will be quiet, and VISION make the mufflers for spoon but are a little cheaper.

http://www.technicasport.co.jp/image/dc2-r001.jpg

price online is 48,000 on their website.

http://www.technicasport.co.jp/image/muffl02.jpg

BlitZ
03-10-2007, 08:33 AM
difference in knock off VS real = longevity and overall quality.
A X force twin loop will be exactly the same as a mugen in the short term.
But give it X amount of time and the X force has reports of collapsing internally

you get what you pay for
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

BlitZ
03-10-2007, 08:34 AM
however mugen advertises their muffler as noise cancelling...

as waves travel in waves the waves cancel themselves out on the second loop.. not sure if its all a marketing campaign

Limbo
03-10-2007, 11:41 AM
The mugen twin loop is good no doubt about it. you get what you pay for.
i had the x-force twinloop and its was abit restrictive. I got a large body canon and its better on performance and still quiet.

Turbos don't count as their noise is cancelled out but the turbine.
N/A will always be louder. I've tried quite a few mufflers and different combos and they Largest possible straight thru muffler you can get, with one reasonator and a steel cat.

bennjamin
03-10-2007, 03:39 PM
somoe one find a similar design to a spoon/vision street muffler and ill get it lol. Can justify the $$$ on only a muffler , so a crappy X force i run.

omgzilla
03-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Here's a bit of info on how a resonator actually works:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler4.htm

Worth a read ;)

90LAN
03-10-2007, 06:10 PM
he is not only talking about the muffler but also doing the b pipe in 2.5 inch pipe im assuming stainless. he also wants to add sound quieting devices in the exhaust .......
so around 600 for 2.5" exhaust man bends,muffler 200+, hot dogs/resonators 60-100, sound quieting devices $????
shit same price u would pay for mugen twin loop quality and quietness
but why waste your money and get a CUSTOM QUIET exhaust made up

i just sold mine for 800 bucks 2nd hand perfect condition
my mate loves it in his teg

oem type r muffler wont fit in the hatch rear bar the barrel is too big

dsp26
03-10-2007, 06:28 PM
I posted about this before:
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=10&TopicID=33845&PageMsg=Viewing+Common+Topic

It's a spiral flow resonator.. specifically produced to reduce dB as opposed to the regular common hotdogs we can get here that change pitch (which is what a resonator is supposed to do, change resonance)... a hotdog is actually nothing more than a cannon muffler that sits mid pipe, whereas a spiral flow have baffles in a spiral pattern... but yeah after seeing the inside of them i'd say you'd lose SOME performance.

When i was getting my exhaust fixed, carline mufflers actually had one and stuck it at the end of my exhaust tip... note was consistent yet there was a massive reduction in actual dB volume... i didn't get it because it actually killed the sound a tad too much... defeated the point of me buying an awesome sounding muffler from a member here...

***EDIT***
also i know of a member here that had the oval ford muffler in his del sol a few years ago... damn that thing sounded sweet... deep yet quiet...

e240
06-10-2007, 12:23 AM
somoe one find a similar design to a spoon/vision street muffler and ill get it lol. Can justify the $$$ on only a muffler , so a crappy X force i run.

I run an Xforce N1 Copy (Cannon!!) and I like the sound.. :-p

Limbo
11-10-2007, 11:19 PM
I had a spiral reasonator before also. It is quieter, but as it gets older i think the holes get blocked by the carbon as it actually was worse than my normal larger body reasonator with standard holes, when i changed my exhuast setup. Just don't get the ones that look like a bullet, they are not as good at reducing noise.

I've had 6-7 different exhaust combos on my ek already, helps when you know someone who owns an exhuast shop.:p

I posted about this before:
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=10&TopicID=33845&PageMsg=Viewing+Common+Topic

It's a spiral flow resonator.. specifically produced to reduce dB as opposed to the regular common hotdogs we can get here that change pitch (which is what a resonator is supposed to do, change resonance)... a hotdog is actually nothing more than a cannon muffler that sits mid pipe, whereas a spiral flow have baffles in a spiral pattern... but yeah after seeing the inside of them i'd say you'd lose SOME performance.

When i was getting my exhaust fixed, carline mufflers actually had one and stuck it at the end of my exhaust tip... note was consistent yet there was a massive reduction in actual dB volume... i didn't get it because it actually killed the sound a tad too much... defeated the point of me buying an awesome sounding muffler from a member here...

***EDIT***
also i know of a member here that had the oval ford muffler in his del sol a few years ago... damn that thing sounded sweet... deep yet quiet...

dsp26
15-10-2007, 08:05 PM
i got done by the EPA for my cannon i was 22 deciables over.....

i had to take my exhaust back to stock other wise they would impound my car within 2 weeks.....

to be honnest not worth having an exhuast on ur car....

only if you actually consider a cannon as an exhaust then would i agree with that statement.

cannons only sound good on turbo cars as their not as loud due to natural muffling caused by the turbo. cannons also sound pretty hot on v8s....

a cannon on its own on any 4cyl is nothing more than a fart can or an annoying deafening note... trust me even 12yr olds don't think highly of these let alone "chicks"

dsp26
15-10-2007, 08:26 PM
well i had a 2 inch system with hi flow cat extractors and cannon tip..... i had to rip it out and place stock back on......

why not install a reso? would have cost only about double what you paid for the muffler welding? (assuming ~$50 for welding/fitting stock muffler)

also professional muffler places have dB measuring machines.

if you ever decide to get a muffler again, look through the bins of the muffler shop and find one of those oval ford ones.. they sound good

NSPYRE
15-10-2007, 08:59 PM
i got done by the EPA for my cannon i was 22 deciables over.....

i had to take my exhaust back to stock other wise they would impound my car within 2 weeks.....

to be honnest not worth having an exhuast on ur car....

i dont even know where to begin with this... as dsp26 says, a cannon isnt the only type of exhaust tip. u chose the loudest possible option and u suffered the consequences for it.

i dont see why u had to take everything out, its ur cannon thats making the ridiculous noise. just change to a quiter muffler.

and lastly, who are u to judge wats 'worth' having on a car and wats not? people are different and thus modifying ur car reflects ur personality. i could say putting on a massive body kit isn't 'worth it' because it costs a lot, wont add value to ur car, and weighs u down a bit. however, to that person its a reflection of their personality and their reward for their hard work

xqwzit
15-10-2007, 09:04 PM
i dont even know where to begin with this... as dsp26 says, a cannon isnt the only type of exhaust tip. u chose the loudest possible option and u suffered the consequences for it.

i dont see why u had to take everything out, its ur cannon thats making the ridiculous noise. just change to a quiter muffler.

and lastly, who are u to judge wats 'worth' having on a car and wats not? people are different and thus modifying ur car reflects ur personality. i could say putting on a massive body kit isn't 'worth it' because it costs a lot, wont add value to ur car, and weighs u down a bit. however, to that person its a reflection of their personality and their reward for their hard work

totally agree :thumbsup:

just change the muffler to oval ones like magnaflow bet it sounds 10x better :p

xqwzit
15-10-2007, 09:17 PM
tell your mates to stop using $50 ebay mufflers

NSPYRE
15-10-2007, 09:35 PM
nearly all my friends, including myself (excessive noise), hav defectable cars. simple way to greatly increase ur chances of not getting defected: dont draw attention to urself. in other words, dont hoon, dont drag, respect the road laws and respect other drivers. simple.

and what engine are u putting in exactly?

dsp26
15-10-2007, 09:36 PM
my exhaust system cost me 1600 bucks no ebay exhaust bud....

will be putting back on when new engine goes in

curious... what brand is it? coz i've never known of any custom jobs costing that much unless it was all stainless?

xqwzit
15-10-2007, 09:37 PM
well i had a 2 inch system with hi flow cat extractors and cannon tip..... i had to rip it out and place stock back on......

this costs 1600 bucks :confused:

NSPYRE
15-10-2007, 09:38 PM
curious... what brand is it? coz i've never known of any custom jobs costing that much unless it was all stainless?

for $1600, i'd hope it'd be mandrel bent too, haha :p

NSPYRE
15-10-2007, 09:44 PM
wat brand headers?

NSPYRE
15-10-2007, 09:56 PM
okay, ur an idiot, im sorry. first u say u have a high-flow cat and the headers u stated say they eliminate the need for a cat altogether. secondly, these headers have a 2.5" collector. u sed ur exhaust system was 2".

lastly, u have a CXI. i dont even kno if comptech make headers for D-series.

Malenic1981
15-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Lots of good info in these posts, here is my experience, I had DC2R, Xforce 4-1 headers, 2.5" metal cat, 2.5" med bend custom cat back with magnaflow cannon style muffler, very loud but performance wise was just top stuff, engine was so free revving, I had feeling it was willing to go well over 9Krpm hehe

some pictures

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/627000-627999/627498_188.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/627000-627999/627498_187.jpg

Vid from dyno (my car is second black DC2R)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBSCmtB2_h0

It was very loud inside the car as well so I decided to fit 2 long resonators which did help a bit but I recon they canceld out the gains that I got from metal cat, so pretty much I wasted money spend on cat and resonators.

90LAN
16-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Lots of good info in these posts, here is my experience, I had DC2R, Xforce 4-1 headers, 2.5" metal cat, 2.5" med bend custom cat back with magnaflow cannon style muffler, very loud but performance wise was just top stuff, engine was so free revving, I had feeling it was willing to go well over 9Krpm hehe

some pictures

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/627000-627999/627498_188.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/627000-627999/627498_187.jpg

Vid from dyno (my car is second black DC2R)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBSCmtB2_h0

It was very loud inside the car as well so I decided to fit 2 long resonators which did help a bit but I recon they canceld out the gains that I got from metal cat, so pretty much I wasted money spend on cat and resonators.

but what did u end up paying for the custom setup ????????

Malenic1981
16-10-2007, 07:08 PM
$500 for cat back with muffler + $250 for metal cat + $150 for 2 long resonators, bare in mind that metal cat was very good add on power wise but car got even louder (but I just loved that sound), than I had to put resonators due to my neighbors/parents complains, so they sort of canceled the power gain of metal cat, pretty much wasted $400 for nothing:-(

Bare in mind it was mild steel with S/S muffler and S/S metal cat, got told by guys from exhaust shop that there is no need for S/S if I'm not gonna keep the car for 4-5 years, even then it can still last over 5 years

ZeForce
16-10-2007, 07:18 PM
I just purchased a Magnaflow high flow cat, chambered style muffler and resonator for $370 shipped and a local exhaust shop quoted me $200 for 2.5" mandrel bent piping. So thats ~$600 all up with a tip... spending $1600 on a exhaust is just ridiculous IMO

Malenic1981
16-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Where did you order from because I'm thinking of getting new mufflers for my S2K and maybe a test pipe

ZeForce
16-10-2007, 10:22 PM
ebay ftw