PDA

View Full Version : Help, stalling auto?

xatomicvodka
30-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Hi, I joined up this site to hopefully find answer to what's going on with my Prelude
the model is an '89
and I received it for Christmas as my first car.
Blown away by how fast the little car can go, and how we could leave people behind for miles. But now it has a problem that is occurring, if I put my foot down too fast (or even just normally) after being stopped such as waiting for the lights to change, my car will stall (ITS AN AUTOMATIC!!!) it will jump and basically feels like its about to cut out and breakdown
It has also once turned off completely but come back on a few seconds later.

I'm devo that I can no longer leave off fast or just drive normally (daily the gears will shift violently causing it to shoot off violent and it sounds like the engine is revving, I don't do anything for this to happen I'm just simply driving)
If anyone could help me with this situation or even know whats going on so I could please get it fixed when I take it in (its due for a major servive soon)

Sorry for the lack of proper explanation, I'm new to cars and have not had much expierence : D

ECU-MAN
30-09-2007, 11:36 PM
check the ecu for fault codes. it may be a good starting point

also check the AT ecu.

paylo
02-10-2007, 01:14 AM
new auto gearboxes ain't cheap... hope u don't have to replace it mate... the mechs will be able to tell u if ur gearbox is rooted or not. then cover ur ears for the quote if thats the case.

Encor3
02-10-2007, 12:48 PM
my friend had a similar issue in his accord,
does this happen when you have a full tank of petrol?

xatomicvodka
02-10-2007, 03:31 PM
my friend had a similar issue in his accord,
does this happen when you have a full tank of petrol?

Umm pretty sure
and when it goes below half a tank it does that violent gear changing (almost like a Nos kicked in haha but last a few seconds)

xatomicvodka
02-10-2007, 03:32 PM
new auto gearboxes ain't cheap... hope u don't have to replace it mate... the mechs will be able to tell u if ur gearbox is rooted or not. then cover ur ears for the quote if thats the case.
I really hope it's not that aswell hahah
dreading that
saving my money now, we will book it in about November it'd due, and I will most deffienetly post what the heck is wrong with it

ECU-MAN
02-10-2007, 08:30 PM
check the engine and trand ECU for fault codes

xatomicvodka
04-10-2007, 01:02 AM
check the engine and trand ECU for fault codes

will do, ill let the mechs know about this and ask them :]
thanks for your help

calee
05-10-2007, 04:06 AM
i had the same problem on my 4th gen.

with the jerky transmission, i found it to be smoother after i changed the transmission fluid.

with the stalling though, the code my ecu pulled was the distributor sensor. i can't tell you right now if the stalling is due to that cause the car's in the workshop currently. but according to my mech, the distributor sensor isn't expensive. but i could update when i get my car back so you could start with the sensor first

layzie
25-12-2007, 12:14 PM
a friend had something similar happened also, check the spark plugs...it could be incorrect ones for the car.