PDA

View Full Version : Lsd

SLOWEGG
01-10-2007, 09:39 PM
What is the best type of LSD specifically for drag racing? Some say 1way others 1.5way.

Is there any difference between brands such as Spoon, kaaz, etc. I believe theres different types aswell ie. clutch, helical or something?

mqt55s
01-10-2007, 10:03 PM
1 way - only locks when going forward
2 way - locks both ways(accel and decel)
1.5 way - locks up going forward, doesnt lock up as much when decel.

clutch type for motor sports.

intacivic16v
08-10-2007, 11:51 AM
definatly go clutch type for any motor sports.

there are a few options depending on what car and gear box you have. If its a b series engine with a hydrolic gear box, then you will have the option of getting a type R gear box out of japan with a factory LSD in it. I believe most of the factory type r diffs are helical style diffs. I have been warned of helical diffs for circuit racing, i was told that when cornering hard and you lift a front wheel it greatly reduces the power that is transferred to the other wheel that is on the ground. Although a mate of mine with around 400hp atw's in his civic is using one of them for drag and its been perfect.

I've been using Cusco 1.5way diffs in my cars for around 3 years now, very good on the circuit.

wuism
18-10-2007, 09:05 PM
difference in brand of plate type lsd concludes to different initial torque.
KAAZ and CUSCO RS have very low initial torque (~4-6kgm) while spoon mugen have about 8-10kgm. the highest i've seen is ATS which is around 11-13kgm.

aaronng
18-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Helical LSDs work to PREVENT wheelspin. If you have conditions or power that cause spin by overwhelming the helical LSD, it then works like an open diff. For serious track/motorsport, go clutch type. The advantage of a helical LSD is that it is low maintenance.

wuism
18-10-2007, 10:46 PM
low maintenance + it's quiet operation.

most clutch plate type LSDs are noisy