PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil

vippy84
02-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Hey, I have just serviced my car recently.
Instead of having the car nicer to drive, the car seems heavier.
The car seems not spontaneous when I step on the accelerator.
I hear heavy sound on the engine itself, something like.. "trrrggggg" when i press the accelerator hard.
Does anyone know what happen? I use standard Honda Premium Engine Oil suggested by the Honda dealer. Can the problem be caused by the engine oil being too thick for my car?
Because I experience this before on my old car where the engine oil was too thick and it gives that kinda sound.
What do you think guys?

Cheers

Hullabaloo
02-10-2007, 12:24 PM
did you service your car yourself or by the dealer? is acceleration any different or just the sound?

vippy84
02-10-2007, 12:37 PM
did you service your car yourself or by the dealer? is acceleration any different or just the sound?

By the Honda dealer. I feel the acceleration decreased a lil, but the sound that annoys me more.....

iced
02-10-2007, 02:38 PM
please tell us the weight of the oil
that might help alot

Limbo
02-10-2007, 03:00 PM
If they used Honda Oil like they said its the 10w30, which should be fine.
The Problem could be they put too much oil like alot of mechanics do. See how much oil is in the car. You might need to let a little out if there is too much. That's the only thing i could think that would slow your car down other than using thick oil

vippy84
02-10-2007, 04:00 PM
please tell us the weight of the oil
that might help alot

How am I going to weight the oil?

vippy84
02-10-2007, 04:00 PM
If they used Honda Oil like they said its the 10w30, which should be fine.
The Problem could be they put too much oil like alot of mechanics do. See how much oil is in the car. You might need to let a little out if there is too much. That's the only thing i could think that would slow your car down other than using thick oil

So, the oil for DC5R is 10W30 yeah?
I will check it again with the dealer on thursday.

jamchen
02-10-2007, 04:03 PM
the easiest way is to call up the dealer and after them what weight of engine oil was poured into your car...
If anything you hear is more than 15W then that might be the reason... 10W should be used... 15W would simply to thick for a DC5R
Also ask then what does it mean by premium honda oil? Like FEO?
If you are still concerning about the performance... try motul...

vippy84
02-10-2007, 04:08 PM
the easiest way is to call up the dealer and after them what weight of engine oil was poured into your car...
If anything you hear is more than 15W then that might be the reason... 10W should be used... 15W would simply to thick for a DC5R
Also ask then what does it mean by premium honda oil? Like FEO?
If you are still concerning about the performance... try motul...

Thanks mate,
i thought that Honda dealer would know better than I do.. surprisingly, they make mistakes too.. *deep sigh* I will ask them asap :P

Jamchen - if I am using Motul, which thickness and specific type would you recommend? Do we have to buy it ourselves or we can just ask the Honda dealer to get it for us?

Dreams
02-10-2007, 04:23 PM
i gave a warning about that dealer didnt I vippy.

check the dipstick when the engine is cold. see the level.apart from that do what above have mentioned.

jamchen
02-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks mate,
i thought that Honda dealer would know better than I do.. surprisingly, they make mistakes too.. *deep sigh* I will ask them asap :P

Jamchen - if I am using Motul, which thickness and specific type would you recommend? Do we have to buy it ourselves or we can just ask the Honda dealer to get it for us?

Just go into autobarn or others... get yourself a bootle of motul x-cess... i think they are 5W-40 and they worked fantastic in my mum's euro and once owned MDX...

Just buy it yourself and bring it to dealer and ask them to change the oil for you... some dealers might refuse in doing so but normally they do accept "bring own oil"... remember ask for the near-empty bottle to show they did pour the right one in if i were you..lol.. just to be sure..

Or else just bring the engine oil to some mechanics you trust and ask them simply to change the oil only for you.. should charge you less than 35 and a half-an-hour job..:D

SeanGT
02-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks mate,
Dealers will use the cheapest, minimum quality to get you to the next service interval. My brother works for a Honda service centre in brisbane and wouldn't put that stuff in a kia... Do some research into other oil options (full synthetics), particularly if you drive hard. :thumbsup:

Limbo
03-10-2007, 11:35 AM
yeah i've heard of alot of dealers using just GTX 20w50 cos they buy it in bulk and its cheap.
If you've got an issue do a quick oil change yourself. Only $28

shadou
03-10-2007, 12:12 PM
... all honda dealerships should be using Honda FEO engine oil, I've never seen nor heard of a honda dealership using other oils as of yet, only time they use different branded oils is for the old cars that still wants to be serviced at a dealer then they will buy a thicker grade oil.

aaronng
03-10-2007, 12:17 PM
... all honda dealerships should be using Honda FEO engine oil, I've never seen nor heard of a honda dealership using other oils as of yet, only time they use different branded oils is for the old cars that still wants to be serviced at a dealer then they will buy a thicker grade oil.

My old dealer used Castrol Magnatec 10w-40 on all cars. It does happen, more often than not.

jamchen
03-10-2007, 12:24 PM

lol... it is highly impossible... it is the fact that Honda dealers do use engine oil other than Honda FEO... But saying it is a bad thing... but most of us take extra care of our Hondas and that is why almost all of us use our own-purchased engine oils for services,..:thumbsup:

TheGoodDeal
03-10-2007, 03:35 PM

My last service at Peter Warren (Warwick Farm). They used Shell (10w-30) on my Civic 97, It printed on the invoice

IEVAQ8
13-10-2007, 01:25 AM
i no that honda prarhan on high st ( i think).....
they use castrol for sure, coz they get a better deal and its cheaper for them, and they ,ake more money on customers......
i also no that westside honda in hoppers crossing only use feo..........

vtek
13-10-2007, 10:19 AM
At my work we use different thicker grades of oils for old cars as the FEO is too thin and the old buses just burns them like no tomorow.

V205
13-10-2007, 11:06 AM
I have never found a single honda dealer that uses honda FEO oil without the customer specifically asking for it.

omgzilla
13-10-2007, 12:42 PM
What else was carried out in the service other than oil replacement?

If you're certain that the noise has only started since the service i'd be taking it back and getting them to look at it.

Dealers will use the cheapest, minimum quality to get you to the next service interval.

That's a bit of a claim! I work at a dealership in brisbane and only the best oil is used - Mobil 1/Castrol Motorsport/Shell Ultra (all fully synthetics), even the older models get Mobil S or Shell Plus. It's good practice to use good quality products regardless as the costs are passed onto the customer anyway. I don't see why a poor quality or different product should be used by a dealer unless the customer requests.

Honda dealership's wouldn't use genuine oils if they weren't any good. Their reputation also rides on the quality of the products they use. Even if your claim is correct about the quality of oil used - i'd be confident that their oils are designed to perform well with the intended motor that the oil will be used in.

It would be just plain foolish on their behalf to cut costs on something as critical as engine oils!

vtek
13-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Im not sure where you are getting your facts from but everything you have just said is incorrect. Why wouldnt they use FEO??? what would they use then, water?? Dealers get their oils by the barrel and on tap and its the same shit thats in the bottle.

I have never found a single honda dealer that uses honda FEO oil without the customer specifically asking for it.

aaronng
13-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Dealer gets other oils cheaper than FEO. At my dealer in Sydney, they used Castrol Magnatec 10w-40 in drums rather than FEO.

Limbo
13-10-2007, 09:33 PM
easiest way to check you problem then do an oil change yourself and see if that's the prob

Edgeauto
13-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Your engine needs to be warm to check the oil level.

jamchen
14-10-2007, 12:41 AM
Im not sure where you are getting your facts from but everything you have just said is incorrect. Why wouldnt they use FEO??? what would they use then, water?? Dealers get their oils by the barrel and on tap and its the same shit thats in the bottle.

We are getting these facts from the dealers we've been too.. the fact that they do not use FEO as standard engine oil for service.. and that is why most of us on OH bring our own oil...
You can check by yourself next time when you bring your are in for a service.. or even just ask them what brand of engine oil do they pour in in standard service...

STTICH
14-10-2007, 01:20 AM
just curious.

how is an 'older engine' defined? by year? kms? or models?

and wat grade of oil is suiteable for those engine? 20w50?

aaronng
14-10-2007, 01:32 AM
just curious.

how is an 'older engine' defined? by year? kms? or models?

and wat grade of oil is suiteable for those engine? 20w50?

Defined by kms and also the condition (blowby, wear from poor warmup). Go 1 grade up. That's 10w-40 if your engine is specced for 10w-30.

STTICH
14-10-2007, 01:50 AM
i see, cheers arron. :)

btw, dont always assume my questions are related to my jazz, it could b for another car, or just to improve my knowledge. :thumbsup:

AsH_
14-10-2007, 02:04 AM
i change my own oil... on my EG...

used to use Mobil 1 Silver

then moved to Motul 10-40 and i started noticing leaks in my seals...
i was told it was because the oil is too thin and leaks through the old seals...

now im on FEO 10-30... see how it goes...

aaronng
14-10-2007, 02:13 AM
i see, cheers arron. :)

btw, dont always assume my questions are related to my jazz, it could b for another car, or just to improve my knowledge. :thumbsup:

Sure, the old F-series SOHC non-VTEC were specced for 10w-40. So you could go for a 10w-50 (or 20w-50 if you live in a place without cold winters). Otherwise, the Honda Insight takes 0w-20 when new.

silver_screen
14-10-2007, 08:32 AM
i change my own oil... on my EG...

used to use Mobil 1 Silver

then moved to Motul 10-40 and i started noticing leaks in my seals...
i was told it was because the oil is too thin and leaks through the old seals...

now im on FEO 10-30... see how it goes...

so u went from 10w-40 to 10w-30 because it was too thin and leaking???

u went thinner.. why would u do that.. not very clever

as for oil think/thinness, if a car says 10w and u got 15w, u wont notice shit. u wish u could.. on a dyno ud lose like .5kw if u went to 20w, it might be a lil noisier first thing in the morning.. again, u wouldnt feel shit in performance. i know i build engines every fkn day and oil grades dont have enough effect for u to "feel" anything. on a dyno ull losses/gains but only within around 2-5kw. and u wont be able to feel that. argue all u want. you cant feel it. its all in ur head.

any questions?

wlan-11g
18-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Hey mate,

Where did you get your car serviced from in Adelaide? Did they do anything else other than change the oil? First thing I would do is check the oil level.

stk-civic
29-10-2007, 02:14 AM
i no that honda prarhan on high st ( i think).....
they use castrol for sure, coz they get a better deal and its cheaper for them, and they ,ake more money on customers......
i also no that westside honda in hoppers crossing only use feo..........

is the honda in prarhan John Blair Honda?
Coz if it is, its true they use castrol but they only use it for the older cars.
All of the newer cars serviced like euros and new civics use the Honda oil.
My mate works there :p
And wat does FEO mean?

Dell99
29-10-2007, 04:03 AM
FEO = formulated Engine Oil

well thats my guess :p

either that or FActory ....

vippy84
29-10-2007, 04:34 AM
Hey mate,

Where did you get your car serviced from in Adelaide? Did they do anything else other than change the oil? First thing I would do is check the oil level.

Nordic Honda. pretty much change the oil, oil filter and stuff like that.. like a normal 5000kms or 10000kms service depending on your kms atm.

aaronng
29-10-2007, 05:22 AM
FEO = formulated Engine Oil

well thats my guess :p

either that or FActory ....

FEO = Fuel Efficient Oil.

Nodachi
02-11-2007, 02:25 PM
not sure if it helps.. but reset ECU?
i car runs sluggish after i did a service last month and after i resetting my ECU, it runs alot better, not to mention it burns a pit of petrol for a few weeks