PDA

View Full Version : 4WS Installation

L-U-R-C-H
02-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Hey guys I picked up an entire 4WS system from a local junkyard for pretty cheap and this past summer installed everything on my car. I got everything working except I am getting a code 20 whenever I turn the steering wheel in one direction. I have tried everything in the book to try and fix this thing and cannot figure out the problem. I have double checked my wiring and I know it's right. I took it to the Honda Dealership and they tried to fix it and they couldn't figure it out. I was charged $200 on top of that too. They tried telling me I had a bad 4WS ECU and I know I don't because I have tested this system out with 2 other ECU's. I have the shop manual which helped me install this whole thing. After running down the list on code 20 in the manual, I got to the bottom where it asks me to perform the neutral check. Problem is, when I pull the e-brake and try to run the check, I get code 20 which blocks me from even getting into diagnostic mode.

If anyone has ever done this install or might know where my problem might be, your help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks
Matt

ECU-MAN
02-10-2007, 08:31 PM
are you getting code 20 in the PGMFI ECU or the 4WS ECU ???

L-U-R-C-H
02-10-2007, 11:38 PM
When I connect the jumper with a piece of wire to get the code, the 4WS light blinks 2 long blinks and then nothing after that. This leads me to believe it's a code 20 from the 4WS ECU.

preludacris
03-10-2007, 03:12 AM
have you tried getting a 4ws alignment?

that cured my faulty 4ws, and i was getting a code 20 also.

a few others have also experienced the same thing. 4ws sensors misaligned.

L-U-R-C-H
03-10-2007, 03:54 AM
I took my car to the Honda Dealership and they couldn't figure out the problem. After 3 1/2 hours of working on it, I concluded that they don't know what they're doing there. So now that they cannot fix it, I dunno who can....

preludacris
04-10-2007, 04:14 AM
do you know what kinda work they were doing on it ?

find out if they did a 4ws alignment. if not, look for a honda dealership who can do it well. Might help to check the forums first like Honda-tech as i noticed ur in USA.

I was lucky that other ppl experienced the same problems, and i have been given good feedback about certain dealerships. coz not all dealerships can do it, let alone to a GOOD JOB of a 4ws sensor alignment. as not many honda's have 4ws, and an electronic 4ws system at that!

L-U-R-C-H
04-10-2007, 04:24 AM
Yeah no kidding. I am gonna have to do a search and find out who will do the 4WS alignment. I got an alignment at the dealership but I don't think they did the 4WS alignment. I don't think the guys at the dealership knew what they were doing.

Thanks man

ECU-MAN
04-10-2007, 09:03 AM
have you tried manually aligning the front and rear sub stearing angle sensors as mentioned in the shop manual.

is the rear actuator mechanicly in neutral position as well. thats very important. ( special tool required to tell )

L-U-R-C-H
09-10-2007, 10:56 PM
I have messed with the front and rear sub sensors for hours with no luck. I also have the special tool (center lock pin) and it says to insert that in the actuator and turn the rear wheel by hand. Thing is, I have tried to turn the rear wheel with the center lock pin in place and the thing won't budge. For some reason power is being drawn to the rear actuator and not allowing the rear wheel to turn. Seems like I have bad luck all over the place!

ECU-MAN
10-10-2007, 09:04 AM
I dont think you understand how that procedure works

your ment to fit the lock pin, then you turn the wheel. the wheel wont turn, but the pressure you put on it is ment to be enough to make the 4ws ligh blink during the alighnment procedure. you do this for sides of the axis.

bigteethygrin
12-10-2007, 11:17 AM
error code 20 is a buggar... very confusing error code.

I hear some ppl have fixed it by resoldering the dry solder points in the ecu board.

Others have realigned the rear sensors.

Its like the one error code that doesnt decisively point to the source of error.

good luck with it hey