PDA

View Full Version : couple of metal paint questions

nugget666
02-10-2007, 04:33 PM
ok so if i was to spray my wheels. paint out of a can would be fine correct?.

(1) When i paint things at work from spray cans i find it can flake off really easy.Is that due to no clear coat being using?. If clear coat was used im presuming it stops that flaking?.

(2) with the wheels being so close to the breaks im presuming they could heat up under heaving breaking. so is it necessary to use a heat resistant paint?.

(3) any other factors i should consider when choosing the right paint?.

EZZY
02-10-2007, 04:42 PM
on top of my head...
1. preparation - what are you going to do about it?
2. use etch primer - otherwise the paint will not stay on metal surfaces]
3. apply one layer at a time, and take your time.
4. obviously wear protective gears when you spray.

im sure someone will give more pointers.

nugget666
02-10-2007, 04:45 PM
i already have primer at home. ive been reading through some of the diy's.

to prepare the surface i was going to light sand for the etch primer to stick too. What about polished lip just light sand on that with primer will be fine?

ACTI0NMAN-1
02-10-2007, 04:53 PM
place the cans in warm water b4 you spray, it helps prevent spitting.

xtat1k
03-10-2007, 01:56 PM
lip = tape it up

nugget666
03-10-2007, 04:08 PM
im geting rid of the lip It sucks being on the coast it gets really spotty from the salt

EUR003act
03-10-2007, 10:24 PM
flaking is because the paint hasnt adhered to the surface correctly.. make sure you sand it back to the bare metal completely! then do multiple fine coats of primer, let them dry 110% (say overnight) then start doing the main paint job in very very light dustings... should take 6-8coats just to ge complete covering...

in regards to high temp paint... dont worry about it... most standard paint will withstand between 80-120 degrees C, and id being shiting myself if your wheels were getting that hot!

EUR003act
04-10-2007, 08:01 AM
if he is only sanding down to the primer, or just a light sanding, theres an extremely high chance he'll miss parts! im portant parts, like corners and edges, ive seen it happen oh so many times... also, only part sanding will give the final paint an uneven paint layer... because he cant control the thickness he is sanding back, or guess how much he's sanded off every lit spot... its much easier sanding back to bare metal. that way u can easily see youve missed no where, and you'll know that all layers are even... yes its true the factory primer would have adhered better, but all oven baking does is speed up the drying process, if he leaves it for 48hours itll have the same effect.

Zdster
04-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Also consider adding a coat of clear over the top once you are done.

nugget666
04-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Thanks alot for the info claymore +1 for you.( but appears cant do it in noob forum?)

zdster clear coat will definetly be added