PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a CD5 Accord. Tech Q's.

Gards
04-10-2007, 12:08 AM
Now yes I'm new here but not new to forums so I did use the search function.;)

I am in the market for a CD5 accord VTI. I took one for sale for a test drive this afternoon. It has low ks 98,000 and service history but I have some concerns.

There was an inconsistent yet audible but not loud clicking noise from the front right area around the wheel. My guess was a CV joint however the clicking didn't seem to increase with engine revs and it wasn't consistent or repetitive. Sometimes it would click a few times then a break then maybe come back. And this was in a straight line not turning as well! I did the full lock turns in a colder sack to test the cvs and I got some clicks but again not consistently or quickly. I should have thought to look at the condition of the CV boot but it slipped my mind but I didn't see any grease in the rim. However I am sure a CV can wear without the boot necessarily being worn.

Could it possibly be drivetrain or bearing related. I also heard someone mention the swaybar bush but this was all at low speeds under 50kmh.

Secondly there was this strange audible rattle/rustling from the engine bay at times when accelerating like something was vibrating or maybe a bit loose. I'm almost certain it wasn't from within the engine which otherwise sounded not too bad. A previous car of mine did the same noise but I never tracked down what it was. Any thoughts?

Also the clutch take up point seemed very far out but this is hopefully as simple as adjusting the clutch and not wear related. Shifting the box seemed okay and didn't feel like there was any slippage.

I drove a 97 Accord a few weeks back which didn't seem to have any of the reported symptons.

The price is negoitable so I can have the price dropped considering any needed repairs but need to get an idea what I might be in for and if I should walk away. The car is clean inside and out and seems to drive well.

Thanks for your input.

sugz
04-10-2007, 10:13 PM
driveshaft?! idk
i got the same inconsistent sound as well...and its coming from my busted shaft lol

and as for the rattling noise
i had problem with them due to the torned end link sway bushes
it rattles everytime i travel over bumps and that

hope that helps

Eclipsor
04-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Possibly the click could be as simple as a rock in the tyre. Not trying to insult your intelligence or anything lol. I know I've stopped the car before at least once because I thought something was seriously wrong only to hear a clang a couple of hundred metres later as it came loose.

Give the wheel a solid wiggle around while its stopped. Shouldn't be any free play if all the control arms/bushings/ball joints are in good condition and its all done up properly. Even if it is a drive shaft issue its not a huge job. But still would be a good bargaining point.

You should be able to check the swaybar bushings fairly easily. But unless it is happening in relation to bumps like sugz said, I doubt it's that.

Possibly the engine bay noise was something like the exhaust manifold heat shield a bit loose, or one of the other exhaust heat shields underneath. Maybe a bit of pinging? Maybe the intake a bit loose.

You can't really adjust the clutch like a cable one. There is some adjustment in the pedal but it won't really make a huge difference. Give it a go before you commit to anything. It's not hard to do. Just need 2 10mm spanners I think. It's where the clutch master cylinder attaches to the clutch pedal.

anyway. Just a few thoughts. hope it helps.

Gards
08-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Lol yea one of my first thoughts was there was possibly a rock or something in the tire but upon quick inspection I didn't see anything.

I also considered the rattle may have been the intake as it had a cold air pipe running down to the filter behind the mud gaurd which may not have been secured properly. The rattle occured even on a flat road with no bumps.

Yea well if there is little room for adjustment the clutch is possibly worn as it felt like another accord I drove where the guy said the clutch was on the way out but worse as it seemed to slip a bit.

Thanks for the help but regardless I am not pursuing this car anymore, I don't want to take the chance. I drove another accord a few days later and the engine felt just so much better acceleration wise and no uprupt noises (with anything) which reinforces my concerns with the original accord in question.

Xplodin
10-10-2007, 09:53 AM
It all depends on which model you are looking at. CD5 S1 or S2? Generaly the Facelift model will have all the bugs ironed out of the first series. IMO i'd be going for a 2nd gen rather than the first. 96K sounds a bit low for that year. I'd get it checked out. By the sounds of things 96k the car sounds like its been abused. I got my car at 81K about 2 years ago. Picture perfect condition nothing wrong with the car what so ever. My Mechanic couldn't even pick out any faults.

If you look after a honda right, It should last you almost for ever. Look after it wrong then your in trouble. Hondas are more reliable than a wood burning stove!

luzn it
10-10-2007, 02:21 PM
I have a 96 Accord Vti-s i bought it A year ago immac with just under 100,000k's on it and i didn't have to spend anything on it yet in over a year.

12-10-2007, 01:20 PM
what year is this car?
what is the service history :)

Gards
26-10-2007, 05:50 PM
I didn't end up buying the car as it just didn't feel or sound right compared to others. But seem someone else snapped it up. It was a 95 I think btw.