PDA

View Full Version : Things to do before a dyno tune

dc2-forshizzle
05-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Hey guys,

I'm going in for a tune next week. To make the most of it, what are some of the things to do/change to make sure my car is running in peak condition? Some things that come to mind are oil spark plugs, anything else?

Cheers

TODA AU
05-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Hey guys,

I'm going in for a tune next week. To make the most of it, what are some of the things to do/change to make sure my car is running in peak condition? Some things that come to mind are oil spark plugs, anything else?

Cheers
Oil, oil filter, check coolant, new spark plugs (ask your tuner which heat range to use), clean throttle body, clean idle speed motor & check valve clearances.
That's about it.

dc2-forshizzle
05-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Cheers:thumbsup:

omgzilla
06-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Make sure you've got plenty of fuel and it also might be worth replacing or cleaning your air filter.

Use the fuel that you would normally use every day, for the tune. Don't use any octane boosters etc in your fuel as this could be detrimental to your vehicle afterwards.

If the vehicle is tuned using a fuel with a higher octane rating (than the fuel that will normally be used in the vehicle) the vehicle may be tuned with too much advance timing.

Once the 'octane boosted' fuel runs out and you fill it up with your normal fuel it may suffer from detonation - caused by too much advanced timing.

Hope this helps!

aaronng
06-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Full tank of fuel and use fuel from the station that you usually use. If you plan to drive using 95 RON only, then fill with 95 RON. Don't tune using 98 RON and then drive daiily with 95 RON.

Int3gra-T
06-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Give it a wash for a few extra kw.

tinkerbell
06-10-2007, 10:45 PM
if you are getting V-AFC (or similar piggyback/interceptor add-on) tuned,

make sure you reset the vehicles ecu BEFORE the tune...

IEVAQ8
07-10-2007, 01:13 AM
i would also change the fuel filter, plugs, and oil, also check the coolant and, it also depends on the tuner as well, give him a buz and ask him what he recomends...........also it may pay to have a spare set of plugs with you, incase they foul up during the tune, that way you have your own, unles your willing to pay for new ones on the spot at the tune.....

dc2-forshizzle
07-10-2007, 05:23 PM
some good tips guys...this is the first time i'll be doing a dyno tune so i want to make sure everything is running 100%....what are the chances of plugs fouling up?? I got some platiunum plugs in there at the moment...about 10,000km's old and some iridium spares sitting on my desk. SHould I put these in before sending it to the tuner or should I just give it to him and tell him to use it if necessary??

omgzilla
07-10-2007, 06:51 PM
I'd leave the ones in there for now and just take the spares along with you as a precaution.

There's no point replacing good plugs just for the sake of it.

IEVAQ8
07-10-2007, 10:56 PM
thats right, leave thim in the platinums, and if they happen to foul up let the tuner know you got spares in the gloe box or what eva...........

good luck

beeza
08-10-2007, 09:22 AM
For $40 an injector,I would get them cleaned too.They check/fix the flow rate and spray pattern.

shebangs
08-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Full tank of fuel and use fuel from the station that you usually use. If you plan to drive using 95 RON only, then fill with 95 RON. Don't tune using 98 RON and then drive daiily with 95 RON.

Or change to 98RON for daily :)

aaronng
08-10-2007, 03:52 PM
some good tips guys...this is the first time i'll be doing a dyno tune so i want to make sure everything is running 100%....what are the chances of plugs fouling up?? I got some platiunum plugs in there at the moment...about 10,000km's old and some iridium spares sitting on my desk. SHould I put these in before sending it to the tuner or should I just give it to him and tell him to use it if necessary??

Use the one that you plan to use on the street. :)

dc2-forshizzle
12-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Hey guys,
For those that have done a tune, what are your thoughts on a fuel pressure regulator to fine tune the fuel map on a fairly stock motor? i.e. intake, header, exhaust? Recommended or not??

SPEEDCORE
12-10-2007, 11:37 AM
In your I/H/E situation.....Don't waste your money on an adjustable FPR.

IEVAQ8
12-10-2007, 01:47 PM
fuel pressure reg not required.............
my tuner, even claims he dont use after market for hondas untill he sees over 250kw at the wheels

tinkerbell
12-10-2007, 01:56 PM
fuel pressure reg not required.............
my tuner, even claims he dont use after market for hondas untill he sees over 250kw at the wheels

250kW ATW would require approx 400cc/min fuel injectors at 100% duty cycle using stock Honda FPR...

http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx

AFAIK - a adjustable FPR is usually cheaper than new injectors...

Bowzer
12-10-2007, 01:56 PM
This is what i would suggest before putting the car on the Dyno:

Compression Test (cold & warm) - Give you an idea of the compression numbers in all 4. This way after the tune you can check them to see if its consistent. It also gives you a indication of how healthy your engine is.

Change the Engine Oil - Use what ever oil you think is best for your motor
Oil Filter
(check your oil levels before and after a few runs, if the oil levels have dropped be a good sign to stop and determine what is wrong here. Could be that your rings are badly worn (worse case) or your crankcase pressures are so high your blowing oil back into your intake so you need to think about a catch can /engine breather setup.
Spark Plugs
(Ask your tuner but use the same plugs your going to use if you were to race/street) B series BKR7E 1 colder from stock if you have a few mods. If something thats running high compression with big cams BKR8E gapped at about 0.8mm is a good start

On boosted cars if your running stock ignition (internal ignitor) its alright for low boost applications, if you haven't got a external spark delivery setup, your wasting your time on the dyno.

Check static timing making sure its set at 15deg-16deg BTDC if your static timing is off your ignition tables are not going to reflect the numbers in the ecu your using.

Coolant levels are good and thermostat is working and over fill bottle is at attached with the correct level, hose clamps are nice and tight.

Electrical wiring and plugs - ensure they are all nicely plugged in and not in the way of moving and hot objects

Tyre Pressures - consistent tyre pressure will help with tyre contact with the rollers while its spinning on the dyno. I personally use 40psi if you experience a funny torque curve at high rpms, maybe a indication your wheels are slipping try a lower pressure setting.

Petrol - full tank of gas would be good as doing 5-10 runs you will already start to see the needle close to half way. Not a good idea to starve the fuel pump at high rpms!

Fuel Pressure - if stock the factory fuel pressure is set to be around 40-50psi fuel pressure. If after market FPR good idea to have a gauge hooked up and to have the FPR set to around 40-45psi at idle or set at what the fuel injector manufacturer specifies.

Standby Person - While the car is being ramped, it is wise to have a person on the lookout (at a safe distance) who has a visual of the engine bay. Any early problematic signs can be seen and notify the operator to stop.

Remember your putting the car on the dyno at your own risk, the tuner will not be liable for things beyond their control to a certain extent. However you minimise the risks by knowing you've taken some extra precautions prior to try limit the damage if things occur.

I think thats it most of it is just common sense :D

IEVAQ8
12-10-2007, 02:05 PM
i wasnt saying use stock injectors, at least 550cc with stock fuel pressure reg and decent pump and ecu that can fully control the injectors will be fine

tinkerbell
12-10-2007, 02:06 PM
yes, well you DID say what you said... i am glad you have clarified it.

IEVAQ8
12-10-2007, 02:23 PM
sorri^^^^^^
i was in a rush and just wrote it...lol
next time i will take more care..............

hondavti25
12-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Whats a good set of plugs to use guys ? notice every one is sayin replace them ?

beeza
12-10-2007, 04:22 PM
NGK Iridium IX

aaronng
12-10-2007, 05:12 PM
^^ Not if his ignitor can't deliver the higher voltage needed for iridiums. I'd say go for copper. At $16 for a set of 4, just change them every 12 months.

silver_screen
12-10-2007, 07:09 PM
and only change them if theyre ****ed... if theyre not, then swappin for new wont do shit.

btw.. aaron. when we gonna go takin photos of melb?? i forgot all about it lol

mugen24
17-10-2007, 12:15 AM
I used to use Shell V-power or BP ultimate 98 octance fuel.....
but i add some 100 octance V-power racing today for the dyno use this week before i read this threat.
did i do the wrong thing? and do i need to run them out and put v-power in? thanks

tinkerbell
17-10-2007, 09:56 AM
ask your tuner how close the the edge he tuned it - he might not have pushed it right to the limit?

you could also adjust static timing if it starts pinging...

EDIT: sorry - if you havent been there, it mightbe best to run it out if it is a full tank, or dilute it down...

but consult your tuner id best idea...

mugen24
17-10-2007, 04:47 PM
can i use it asap as i can and use v-power 98 octance to fill the rest of tank b4 dyno. thx

mugen24
17-10-2007, 06:18 PM
PS: Just want a VAFC tune this time, not aftermarket ECUs like Honda....so is the fuel very matter?

dc2-forshizzle
18-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Car is getting tuned today finally! Thanks for suggestion guys, I didn't do all of em, but most. Throttle body cleaner! Sh*t couldn't believe how dirty it gets in there after a while.

With the VAFC q, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the VAFC correct the air/fuel ratio?? It would make sense to use the fuel you use everyday. It'd be plain silly to switch octane only for dyno tune.

Muzz
24-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Yep, use the fuel you plan to use everyday, then dont run it with anything less than what octane it was tuned for.