PDA

View Full Version : minime + turbo

honda_zivic
05-10-2007, 09:26 PM
how would this work out to be , bad or good?
thinking of doing mini me conversion on my d15b7 and then turbo charged it.
just curious any1 ere has done this b4?

1996ek1
06-10-2007, 10:26 AM
how would this work out to be , bad or good?
thinking of doing mini me conversion on my d15b7 and then turbo charged it.
just curious any1 ere has done this b4?

For that money your better off going b-series, which would most likely have same results. Just my opinion...

kazam
06-10-2007, 10:47 AM
so y duz he have 2 go b-series if his gunna get same results?

d15z1SUX
06-10-2007, 10:57 AM
u could just turbo your d without doing a mini me conversion. i think the mini me conversion will not have that much of a difference on hp. so unless u could get it done for cheap dont bother doing a mini me?

1996ek1
06-10-2007, 11:26 AM
so y duz he have 2 go b-series if his gunna get same results?

Because turbo requires engineering certificate, insurance cost fair bit more, higher fuel consumption, and depends what engine management he chooses, that can cost a fair bit.

Where as if he gets b-series, im sure it would be cheaper, + comes with vtec, so no mucking around with mini-me etc. Also DOHC so greater modding potential.

Anyway, thats why i said ' Thats my opinion '

cristian
07-10-2007, 03:40 AM
Because turbo requires engineering certificate, insurance cost fair bit more, higher fuel consumption, and depends what engine management he chooses, that can cost a fair bit.

Where as if he gets b-series, im sure it would be cheaper, + comes with vtec, so no mucking around with mini-me etc. Also DOHC so greater modding potential.

^x2

reliability wise its better off to run a motor with that level of power instead of applying turbo to a motor that wasn't built for it to begin with...

SeverAMV
07-10-2007, 09:42 PM

swapping motors may also require engineer's cert depending on which state you're in, insurance is also generally higher, i think b16a's also consume more fuel, altho with the increase in air you get from a turbo, as well as the improved combustion from the increase in air, a turbo will net you better fuel economy (my boss' turbo lancer uses less petrol than my atmo even tho he thrashes his car more). swapping to a b series will also require a different ecu too. that and b series aint too cheap nowadays. its hard to find a front cut in good condition for less than 3k, let alone afford the labour for one.

he could always get the ebay d series turbo kit for 750, and then deal with the rest of the kit, reinforce the weak parts of the ebay-ness, and produce more power. just my 2 cents tho. but technically, if he runs 1 bar of boost with the turbo, his power will increase by 70-100%, which is more than you could probably get from sticking in a b series.

i'd probably steer clear of the minime conversion if you're following the path of the turbo, as the pre-vtec cam profile is a little on the light side and may bump up the turbo lag a bit.

locote
07-10-2007, 10:21 PM
PM Beastcivic, he done a SOHC turbo build at the drags was pulling 120+mph.
HE will tell u pros and cons of such a build..
I drive a pretty much stock B18c in my EG, with just exhaust and intake i ran 96mph..
Goin tomorow for another go.. different exhaust and 4-1 header hoping for 98mph and high 13s

honda_zivic
08-10-2007, 05:27 PM
i just wanna make at least 100kw atw so yeah. and abit more power at low revs.

SeverAMV
08-10-2007, 06:06 PM
head to ebay and type in 'd series turbo' and theres a full kit going for $600US, with a turbo rated at 400hp. its cheap enough for you to be able to afford to reinforce any weakpoints, and leaves you enough for a piggyback system.

kazam
08-10-2007, 06:11 PM
head to ebay and type in 'd series turbo' and theres a full kit going for $600US, with a turbo rated at 400hp. its cheap enough for you to be able to afford to reinforce any weakpoints, and leaves you enough for a piggyback system.

prepare 2 be flamed

SeverAMV
08-10-2007, 06:12 PM
well i realise its probably not the best kit to buy, and will probably be highly unstable at the rated boost. but i cant see anything wrong with running it on only 9psi or less. it also leaves more than enough change for a better turbo, manifold, etc.

1996ek1
09-10-2007, 10:05 AM
but technically, if he runs 1 bar of boost with the turbo, his power will increase by 70-100%, which is more than you could probably get from sticking in a b series.

Your an idiot if you think you can run 1 bar on stock D16. It would be unreliable and wouldnt last long (so i think).

SeverAMV
09-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Your an idiot if you think you can run 1 bar on stock D16. It would be unreliable and wouldnt last long (so i think).

i didnt say he could, i was just stating the facts. 1 bar of boost will generate an power increase of 70-100%. he'd still have enough money to change the internals, and would still end up spending less than sticking in a b series.

1996ek1
09-10-2007, 04:14 PM
i didnt say he could, i was just stating the facts. 1 bar of boost will generate an power increase of 70-100%. he'd still have enough money to change the internals, and would still end up spending less than sticking in a b series.

Oh depends tho. Maybe if he wants XSPOWER, but for a decent, reliable turbo/setup, like Garrett, he wont have money left over. But I'd do it right the first time if i went turbo, and i'd get a well-known brand and parts.

honda_zivic
10-10-2007, 11:57 PM
wat's da max psi i can run on this motor?

SeverAMV
11-10-2007, 01:45 AM
with stock internals, wouldnt go past 6psi.