PDA

View Full Version : Flutter or BOV ?

1996ek1
06-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Hey guys, i know about flutter and all but...

Why do S14/15 always seem to have a really loud, and long flutter sound ? Is it something to do with their setup because im really wondering about this...

Flutter often seems to be quieter, and short, but all S14/15 i see seem to have it really loud and prolonged....

tekung89
06-10-2007, 07:27 PM
maybe their bov is tighten? not sure =) good question lol

technify
06-10-2007, 08:18 PM
Think you should ask a nissan driver or on NS. no joke bro.

180sx
06-10-2007, 08:19 PM
it depends on the size of the turbo, induction pipe, length of the cooler pipping and size of the cooler

1996ek1
06-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Think you should ask a nissan driver or on NS. no joke bro.

I don't know any nissan drivers, and all the s14/15's are often driving past me :p

I dunno what NS is, and i don't know any nissan forums. I just thought i would ask here because its the easiest way....

1996ek1
06-10-2007, 08:30 PM
it depends on the size of the turbo, induction pipe, length of the cooler pipping and size of the cooler

So is it flutter or bov?

And that would mean.... all nissan have the same setup? Even after purchasing different size FMIC's, with custom piping, and different intakes etc. (all the variables of custom intakes/charge piping) they all still have the same sound.... ?

Sexc86
06-10-2007, 09:10 PM
what i have found is the turbo sizes are usually alot smaller compared to the engine size... also may have something todo with the way the head flows... as it has been designed from factory boosted. maybe something to do with the camshafts... more duration possibly

1996ek1
06-10-2007, 09:22 PM
what i have found is the turbo sizes are usually alot smaller compared to the engine size... also may have something todo with the way the head flows... as it has been designed from factory boosted. maybe something to do with the camshafts... more duration possibly

So do you think its acctually flutter, or BOV?
Because i'd think its flutter, but im sure, being a huge jap car that most of the owners would have BOVS on them....

Which is where i get confused :)

aimre
06-10-2007, 09:52 PM
There not using BOVs, thats why it flutters

Sexc86
06-10-2007, 11:22 PM
not necesselary...

a hks ssqv does sound like a flutter... also sometimes, depending on how hard you have your bov screwed (if its adjustable that is) it can flutter if there isnt enough pressure to open the bov, or open the bov with more boost / pressure

that way you could sometimes have the "tu tu tuu" (flutter) or "ptshh" (bov) sound.

Regards Lyle

Geekstar
07-10-2007, 12:05 AM
SR20 ftw. me mates got no bov on his s15 it flutters like hell.

Geekstar
07-10-2007, 12:07 AM
nissansilvia.com <<<------go there.

SLOWEGG
07-10-2007, 12:37 AM
They run stock plumback bov..

180sx
07-10-2007, 03:14 AM
i might know what u want to know now lol, it's flutter and not a bov

nigs
07-10-2007, 03:39 AM
It's f00ly sik ulleh.

Give us a dose.

1996ek1
07-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Ah k thanks guys.

Before i heard the HKS SSQL sounds like flutter so i wasnt sure about that..

So anyone have an idea about why its only s14/15 that flutter like that? Is it just due to their setup. Eg turbo compared to engine size, pipe lengths & widths etc. ?

aimre
07-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Seriously. Anyone that said a BOV makes it. Dont talk in this topic, cos u got no idea. There is no if or but about it. The noise is compressor surge. Often called a dose. Bovs DONT make this noise. If ur car make this noise with a BOV fitted, your a stooge and dont know how to adjust ur bov.

Pipe length has everything to do with the acoustics, so does what turbo u use. A main contributer is the pipe coming off ur turbo (with the airfilter on but preferbaly off for louder doses) also comenly referred to as a dose pipe.

If you want to know more about the subject, goto calaisturbo.com and search "dose pipe". There tutorials there where [VL2DY4] used diff length pipe to achieve different sounds, all with vids.

AusS2000
07-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Hmmm, I'm confused. Flutter is a description of a sound right? And BOV is a physical device. How do you compare a sound with a device?

I guess we're talking about the sound of compressor surge vs. the sound of a BOV releasing air.

Most factory turbo cars have a bypass valve. It is effectively a BOV but plumbed back into the intake pipe (or 'dose pipe' as per previous post).

I use a Turbonetics Godzilla BOV but I converted it to plumb back by connecting it to the intake pipe for legal and sound reasons. But now that I'm running 14psi it sounds pretty loud and I hate to think what it will sound like at 20psi.

SO I assume we are really just comparing various BOV and plumb back sounds. Surely no factory or well set up car has compressor surge.

mrwillz
07-10-2007, 12:44 PM
i remmeber vl2dy4 seen it in the past at holmesglen maccas .. ftw

i dont seem to hear many cars wif BOV's these days
mostly flutter

aimre
07-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Hmmm, I'm confused. Flutter is a description of a sound right? And BOV is a physical device. How do you compare a sound with a device?

I guess we're talking about the sound of compressor surge vs. the sound of a BOV releasing air.

Most factory turbo cars have a bypass valve. It is effectively a BOV but plumbed back into the intake pipe (or 'dose pipe' as per previous post).

I use a Turbonetics Godzilla BOV but I converted it to plumb back by connecting it to the intake pipe for legal and sound reasons. But now that I'm running 14psi it sounds pretty loud and I hate to think what it will sound like at 20psi.

SO I assume we are really just comparing various BOV and plumb back sounds. Surely no factory or well set up car has compressor surge.

He wants to know what BOV make a flutter noise. Cos most people on this site are stooges, they told him diffrent BOVs.

I tried to clear things up by telling him the noise he is hearing is simply compressor surge. And they way to acheive this surrge is through not running a bov

I can understand why your confused, alot of people on this site try to be helpful, but dont know what there on about. This just adds to other people confusion

aimre
07-10-2007, 04:22 PM
i remmeber vl2dy4 seen it in the past at holmesglen maccas .. ftw

i dont seem to hear many cars wif BOV's these days
mostly flutter

Just like 8 years ago u never heard a car without an atmo BOV. ecspecially all the rexies.

Vrooooooom PSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHTT

Its just the current fad

1996ek1
07-10-2007, 05:53 PM
He wants to know what BOV make a flutter noise. Cos most people on this site are stooges, they told him diffrent BOVs.

No i was wondering if it was flutter, or a BOV, just because it was really loud and long flutter. But thanks for your previous post, pretty much gave me my answer there.:thumbsup: Ill also look at the site you posted, sounds interesting