PDA

View Full Version : Rattling shifter

scyt7e
07-10-2007, 07:06 PM
hmm i have a shifter that rattles im not sure what the problem is but i know its a dc2r shift linkage and i got the energy suspension kit with the linkage well previous owner did, its in a ek though and it seems to rattle all the time if i hold it then it stops rattling any one know why this is the case? i think i might be missing some bushings? :( anyway its annoying me to death

hyrpm
07-10-2007, 08:04 PM
its rattling on the exhaust

scyt7e
07-10-2007, 08:31 PM
hmm but then my shifter has a lot of play... i can move it right and left like an inch when its in gear is thatt normal?? :thumbdwn: mah i shoulda checked before i got it bolted in....

DLO01
07-10-2007, 08:36 PM
hmm but then my shifter has a lot of play... i can move it right and left like an inch when its in gear is thatt normal?? :thumbdwn: mayb i need that o ring things... bah i shoulda checked before i got it bolted in....

Movement is normal.

As said its probably hitting your exhaust as mine used to do this too.

scyt7e
07-10-2007, 08:50 PM
so i cant fix this problem? :( thats gotta suck

kingyy
07-10-2007, 08:58 PM
i fixed mine last week it was hitting on my exhaust all i did was tighen the linkage back up took to an exhaust joint and they made a bracket so the exhaust sat a little bit lower to the ground

|N|
07-10-2007, 10:48 PM
wat about ur bushing?

Limbo
08-10-2007, 12:25 AM
might be missing the little metal O rings on each side of the shifter.
i know mine had that problem.

scyt7e
08-10-2007, 03:13 AM
i'll look at the exhaust but thing is the sound definately is coming from the inside not the outside of the car... and i doubt i need o rings its a stock shifter.. :( shouldnt need orings and nick what bushings are we talking about here? thanks guys

dudeling7
09-10-2007, 12:09 AM
yeh could be metal rings on ither side of the shifter. mine did this. i jsut added a few rings and tightened the shift linkage up and its stopped vibrating now :)

technify
09-10-2007, 10:19 AM
I don't think it would be the t-bar bushings .

the plate that covers the ball on the shifter, see if that is tighten.

or leave the car on and see what it can be hitting, as you rckn it's the exhaust.

cheers.

Limbo
10-10-2007, 10:02 PM
dc2r shift linkage + energy suspension <--- that is not stock on an EM1. All depends on what they did when they put the shifter on.

Also the Dc2r shifter is shorter than the EM1/Ek4 shifter. That means it sits lower at the bottom. Again can be causing problems from the exhuast.

Other thing it could be is that did not use loctite on the bolt and its coming off. Have a look underneath you should be able to see what's wrong

barefootbonzai
10-10-2007, 10:46 PM
did your mechanic use the proper pin to put your selector in? it's a common problem when mechanics try to be lazy and use a nut and bolt.