PDA

View Full Version : HID shorting dash lights.

07-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Guys, I recently dropped in a set of H4 Hi/lo Xenon lights into my EG. They're very cool and light up real nice. But they blow the dash lights out. I've changed the instrument cluster fuses from the original 10A, to 15A which blew instantly, 20A which blew instantly then an unsafe 30A fuse which started smoking from the back of the dash.

The strange thing is the headlights are unaffected by the blowing fuses. I've checked the instructions and there's no mention of the problem. I think it's weird that the headlights work fine but the dash lights are shagged.

So I'm offering $20 cash money for someone to fix the problem definitively. If you're in Melbourne you can check it out during business hours at Autobarn in Sunshine.

As you could imagine the HID's are awesome but I can't see my instruments at night. Has anyone else done a HID conversion and had the same problem? I really do appreciate any help you guys have.

Thanks,
George.

sugz
07-10-2007, 09:03 PM
just bring it to auto electrician, it will prolly costing you 2hours labour - 50bucks max

Xceller8r
08-10-2007, 07:46 PM
something is shorting out for sure, most likely the wires that powers the parkers. dash lights are usually connected with parkers. Check em

note: by sticking a bigger than recommended fuse, u could very likely burn out your wires, so id check out the back of your dash where u stated smoke came out, cos u might have burnt out some wires back there.

09-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the replies dudes.

I put the normal 10A dash fuse back in, the dash lights went back to normal, so no damaged wires. It's a bit strange... I'll check the parker wires for any damages or shorts and get back to yaz.

Thanks.

09-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Also the HID loom is not connected to the parker loom/circuit so why is the fault crossing over from the HID system to the park/dash system?

bennjamin
09-10-2007, 08:48 PM
the HID wiring should not touch anything to do with the parkers , or the wiring . Apart from taking one sides bulb input , there should be no issue. You have crossed or cut some wires somewhere or a loose connection is grounding somewhere ~

IMO take it all out and start again from stock. You should place the ballasts and the relay somewhere firm and hidden and the wires should be held close together and keep all connections clear from any possible debris etc

10-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks Bennjamin, I've taken the kit out twice and I can't see any wires touching or earthing out anywhere. The ballasts are mounted firm and the wires are cable tied and wrapped in split loom/conduit. No change.

applio
12-10-2007, 11:44 PM
what type of H4 hid you got?

the both Hi/Lo hid or Lo with hid and hi with halogen?

it comes with relay cable?

B18cEG
17-10-2007, 11:02 AM
does your system connect directly to the battery in anyway through a relay or module, i have seen a couple of HID kits. One type uses a relay or module box with its own wiring that connects directly to the battery for +12v and earth and plugs into one of your existing headlight plugs just to switch the lights (just an input) the other type i have seen uses no relay or modules and connects directly to your existing headlight plugs, from there it takes its power and in most cases too much power for the factory system to handle. Please people dont buy the second type i just mentioned or it may cause damage. thankyou. so which type do you have "007"

applio
21-10-2007, 07:48 PM
does your system connect directly to the battery in anyway through a relay or module, i have seen a couple of HID kits. One type uses a relay or module box with its own wiring that connects directly to the battery for +12v and earth and plugs into one of your existing headlight plugs just to switch the lights (just an input) the other type i have seen uses no relay or modules and connects directly to your existing headlight plugs, from there it takes its power and in most cases too much power for the factory system to handle. Please people dont buy the second type i just mentioned or it may cause damage. thankyou. so which type do you have "007"

the first one you talking about "a system that connect directly to the battery" for H4 are the duel beam kit, both hi/lo with HID. the second type "no relay or modules" types are H4 single beam kit or lo with hid and hi with halogen.

i recommand do not buy the seond type, with will be useless.... go for the Hi/Lo both HID

B18cEG
21-10-2007, 08:36 PM
the first one you talking about "a system that connect directly to the battery" for H4 are the duel beam kit, both hi/lo with HID. the second type "no relay or modules" types are H4 single beam kit or lo with hid and hi with halogen.

i recommand do not buy the seond type, with will be useless.... go for the Hi/Lo both HID

I know what im talking about and thanks, but i have seen in the past single beam systems with relay modules, i would like to add

applio
21-10-2007, 10:01 PM
I know what im talking about and thanks, but i have seen in the past single beam systems with relay modules, i would like to add

just further explaination, no offence :D

B18cEG
21-10-2007, 11:52 PM
just further explaination, no offence :D

nah, all good bro

23-10-2007, 11:13 AM
B18cEG- Thanks for your input.

I have the kit that conects to the battery via a small sealed box with wires running around the engine bay. There is a fuse on the power wire, and everything has been earthed nicely.

Since i first posted with dash light problems, I have had other issues. I said i put in a big fuse and the dash started smoking. I put the original fuse value back in and now the dash lights never turn off. Problem solved? No!

Now the left light flickers rapidly like a strobe sometimes. Turn it off and on again; no change. The other night the left light simply turned off. I left the car off for 30 mins and the light went back on.

The rest of the time the lights turn on fine, the dash lights stay on fine and there's no problems- sometimes.

In short, I am NOT enjoying my HID experience. I strongly urge people considering the swap to buy an expensive kit as you may avoid these problems.

applio
23-10-2007, 07:08 PM
In short, I am NOT enjoying my HID experience. I strongly urge people considering the swap to buy an expensive kit as you may avoid these problems.

expensive kit wont help, there are same, you need to look for projector style headlight.

B18cEG
24-10-2007, 12:30 AM
seems like you damaged some wiring 007, not good, Can u take it to an auto electrician? or maybe its just your light switch that has problem but they can find that out. Sorry bro

24-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Guys I found the problem to be a faulty ballast. It was hard to find because it only happens on and off but that's what it was.

Thanks guys.

aaronng
24-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Problem solved. Closed.