PDA

View Full Version : Suspension rubbing issues, CB Accord

Kaji-FMP742
07-10-2007, 08:40 PM
My old Honda wagon is costing me money again. Pulled 4 tyres off it recently to fit mags, noticed SEVERE tyre wear on the inner rears, figured maybe it needed an alignment. Now I know the truth

Cruising along on the Ring Road, from Laverton toward B'go via Calder, got to the "dips" with four people in the car, and got a sound like zipties. Quickly stopped the car (with copious amounts of tyresmoke despite not locking up, woo cheapies!) and got under the back to find the weird suspension arm that sits in the top of the wheelarch was <1cm from the inside of the back tyre!

The new wheels sit out a bit compared to the originals so the extra width hasn't done it. WTF can I do to stop this from happening? A 1" raise? Perhaps I should install REALLYREALLYREALLY stiff springs? Does this mean certain bushes are tired? I'm really quite confused, this is my first IRS car where the maintenance is my responsibility so I could use a bit of assistance.

Eclipsor
07-10-2007, 10:42 PM
If that arm has clearance at all then it shouldn't change. It is fixed in relation to the wheel. Unless the tyre was bulging or something like that. It's not very common for the rear to have issues with clearance. How low is your car? Are you sure the smoke was coming from the rear wheels?

Kaji-FMP742
08-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Smoke was from braking hard, nothing else. Difference of friction and such.

So the arm doesn't explain anything, guh, well... anyway, there's weird rubbing noises coming from the back... I'll try and test it today. I have to move stuff, this time...

SiReal
08-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Cam is right above re the arm sitting static in relation to the wheel.

Sure ur not rubbing the guards in any way? Has your car's suspension been modified? If not, then its odd how you are facing these issues.

aaronng
08-10-2007, 03:28 PM
What were the original tyre/rim size and offset and what are the size and offset for the new ones? Is your car lowered? By how much? Do you have a rear camber kit? You can't adjust rear alignment by much without the kit.

Since you had 4 people in your car, it would have lowered your car even more because of the weight and could possibly increase the negative on the camber in the rear (common to many models of Accords), causing the tyre to rub against spring/damper.

Kaji-FMP742
08-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Just checked everything thoroughly. And I'm rubbing the guard -- found evidence on the guard (but not the tyre, unusual for new softish rubber).

What're my options? I think perhaps my car has been lowered, it seems a little low in relation to other accords. It may also just need new springs to stop it dipping? or perhaps somehow I could stop it reaching the guards (there's normally ~2" clearance). The tyresize has changed very little both in inward protrusion (measured from inside edge to a marked point with a straightedge).

aaronng
08-10-2007, 08:44 PM
So what are the size and offset of the rims and tyres before and after?
With regards to the wear on the inner rears, that's probably a camber and toe issue arising from the lowering.

Kaji-FMP742
08-10-2007, 09:11 PM
hah, um. Well, it didn't go more than 2-3mm inward with the new tyres but it went -at least- 2.5cm outward if not three -- they don't 'clear' the guards whatsoever, but the car slammed a rather large bump shortly after I had the tyres fitted and they didn't buzz (or touch, there was a chalkstripe there) -- which is why it's weirded me out a bit to find they're touching a little now.

I know it's dumb to suggest but I think that stopping suspension movement before tyres hit guards might be my best option. ... or flaring the guards. Is that possible? o_O

Kaji-FMP742
08-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Possibly I could buy two new wheels for the rear, but that'd be -rather- expensive...

aaronng
08-10-2007, 09:34 PM
hah, um. Well, it didn't go more than 2-3mm inward with the new tyres but it went -at least- 2.5cm outward if not three -- they don't 'clear' the guards whatsoever, but the car slammed a rather large bump shortly after I had the tyres fitted and they didn't buzz (or touch, there was a chalkstripe there) -- which is why it's weirded me out a bit to find they're touching a little now.

I know it's dumb to suggest but I think that stopping suspension movement before tyres hit guards might be my best option. ... or flaring the guards. Is that possible? o_O

Yeah, 2.5 cm outwards is heaps. So the offset is not really right since it went inwards by only 2-3mm. On the inside, there should be at least 1cm of space, so you can avoid the rubbing if you had rims of higher offset. For now, your choice would be to stiffen the rear and make it uncomfortable, raise it up, or putting in more negative camber and accelerating tyre wear.

Kaji-FMP742
08-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Raising it up seems the most logical option. As it is the rear looks too low compared to the front (there's an inch difference between front and rear arches -- rear is lower) so I'll go with that. Any recommended courses of action?

aaronng
08-10-2007, 09:51 PM
To raise it up, you need new springs if your shocks don't have adjustable mounts.

Kaji-FMP742
08-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Figured as much! But hey, that's fine, springs aren't -too- much. Cheaper than two new wheels and 16" tyres.