PDA

View Full Version : Extractors on VTEC engine?

fusion_VTi
19-10-2003, 06:44 PM
does anyone know if it's a good idea putting extractors on a VTEC motor? ive heard from a number of people that it actually decreases performance. is this true? :shock:

Rowie
19-10-2003, 06:50 PM
it wouldnt surprise me. Im not sure about performace on a VTEC motor. But with my motor, after i fitted the extractors, the cars power has evened out (i wouldnt say decresed), and it no longer has the same wind in power at high revs, but the power has evened out throughout the rev range.

torque at low revs has increased over what it used to be though, but like i said, its all evened out now.

Hope this helps, and will be interesting to hear someone who has done it on a VTEC motor :D

ALLMTR
19-10-2003, 09:28 PM
Off the shelf extractors will not gain you ANY power, they will however save you 10kg in weight.

Custom stepped headers are a different matter. Mine picked up 12 whp with proper headers

wynode
19-10-2003, 10:09 PM
Off the shelf extractors will not gain you ANY power, they will however save you 10kg in weight.

Custom stepped headers are a different matter. Mine picked up 12 whp with proper headers

What headers are they? :)

Rowie
19-10-2003, 10:46 PM

yeh, thats true. the standard extractors are really heavy (cast iron) compared to steel ones. easily half the weight. i was surprised when i took them off :D

Setanta
20-10-2003, 12:16 AM
yeh, thats true. the standard extractors are really heavy (cast iron) compared to steel ones. easily half the weight. i was surprised when i took them off :D

The B16A header is much better quality than the D15B don't forget. They flow quite well with cat-back mods. Unless you want to fork out for a Mugen copy or a DC Sports header it's best to leve it on :)

ALLMTR
20-10-2003, 08:23 PM

What headers are they? :)

ALLMTR RACING headers hehehe I made them

Setanta
20-10-2003, 11:54 PM
Hmmm... and what would you charge for fabricating up a set of B16A ones ;)

ALLMTR
21-10-2003, 01:01 AM
Mine might be for sale if the combo doesnt sell.

Couldnt justify the work for the cost to sell a set

joyride
21-10-2003, 08:21 AM
has anyone tried putting on ITR headers onto any other B-series engine?
would it even make a difference?

wil
21-10-2003, 09:22 AM
that is for vtec how about non vtec same?

Civic Type R
21-10-2003, 02:28 PM
im buying a replica mild steel mugen 4-1 extractors for my B16A.
I believe there will be some very nice gains to be had with them ! :P

VTEChnique
21-10-2003, 07:31 PM
a decent set of headders will improve your top-end power because exhaust gasses can 'escape' eassier. This can have slight reduction in low-RPM power though but who drives a honda in low RPM ?

For SOHC VTEC engines especially they love headders because they do NOT have VTEC on the exhaust valves ( only on intake ) so when VTEC kicks in, it's getting more air into the cyllinder but it cant necessarilly get those gasses OUT so fast..

Weight is a BIG issue here too.. but $500-$1000 for a few KG's ? i dont think so. Basically I'd have to say that a headder that makes you slower would have to be poor quality - and you should be able to tell THAT before you buy it...

wil
21-10-2003, 08:22 PM
how do u tell?