PDA

View Full Version : Which Intake Should I Get?

fjear
08-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Hi Guys,

Before asking me to search the forums just wanted to let ya know i've spent the last 3 hours going through as many threads as I can find on Intake both CAI and SRI and now am going to ask the big question...

I want an Intake that will have good low end response ( so i guess this rules the injen out? ) but I also want a Loud Intake (louder the better) that will only start when I hit the pedal to the floor.. so otherwise below 2500/3000rpms will drive like stock..

Does this mean only the K&N typhoon will fit the bill? and also does anyone know where I can get one from in Australia preferably.. i've look at ebay and no ones selling one atm.. any traders on the ozhonda forums? or if I need to look overseas can anyone recommend a good site that they've dealt with before and what kinda ETA am i looking at before receiving it?

Cheers

r-r-redEuro
08-10-2007, 05:32 PM
J racing on special at $750.

fjear
08-10-2007, 05:42 PM
$750.. isn't that expensive for an intake? considering k&n and the injen are like $320 delivered?

Where abouts do you get your hands on the J Racing system and is there a link to more info on it?

Cheers

DreadAngel
08-10-2007, 05:44 PM
You could search on Youtube and hear different Intakes...

Or DIY ---> http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53595

Catman style, I LOVE IT!!! Sat inside Chloe and heard her scream ;)

DreadAngel
08-10-2007, 05:45 PM
r-r-redEuro referring to this I believe ---> http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62499

Leo @ JDMConcept will fix you up ;)

akina
08-10-2007, 05:46 PM
If money isn't a problem. Mugen airbox.
U won't lose ur power down low coz it ain't CAI.
It also has pretty good sound to go with it.
looking for over $1k unless u buy second hand which is around $700

aaronng
08-10-2007, 05:47 PM
The J's racing one will be good. Their design is similar to mine (I suspect their copied me) and with mine, I can go up to 4000-5000rpm with light throttle and still sound similar to stock.

aaronng
08-10-2007, 05:48 PM
If money isn't a problem. Mugen airbox.
U won't lose ur power down low coz it ain't CAI.
It also has pretty good sound to go with it.
looking for over $1k unless u buy second hand which is around $700

Mugen airbox is expensive and you don't get a good sound. For that price, the GruppeM or J's racing would be better in terms of sound.

akina
08-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Mugen airbox is expensive and you don't get a good sound. For that price, the GruppeM or J's racing would be better in terms of sound.

Sat in my cuz's euro with mugen airbox sounded pretty nice :confused:

DreadAngel
08-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Hehehe, did it give you the sound of a $1K Intake should and feel like what a $1K Intake should? ;)

akina
08-10-2007, 05:55 PM
LOL, hmmm all that CF probably is what did it for me :p

aaronng
08-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Sat in my cuz's euro with mugen airbox sounded pretty nice :confused:

As nice as this?
Outside: http://youtube.com/watch?v=WbJiFuYCnLA
Inside: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZM4RMAW9zjI

sodaz
08-10-2007, 07:05 PM
This is the sound i recorded from my friend's Euro with the Mugen airbox, which he sold to me when he sold his Euro. It can sound pretty aggressive when you want it to imo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxstqcORhyw

r-r-redEuro
08-10-2007, 07:28 PM
mugen is just a name thats why its so expensive :( but id go for the J racing or gruppeM and do some ghetto piping like aaronng did. so much better.
that set up like aaronng did is what im going to do.

aaronng
08-10-2007, 07:34 PM
If you want just sound, an SRI alone will work. He'll lose power though.

sodaz
08-10-2007, 07:45 PM
You definitely pay more for the Mugen brand, no doubt about that. However, I've driven Euro's with the K&N SRI, Injen CAI and Comptech Icebox and none of them have the responsiveness that the Mugen airbox has. The quality of the intake is also second to none.

Sound wise a pod style filter will always been louder than an airbox setup and most of the power will always arrive on the high end of the rev range. Keep in mind that peak power might look good on a dyno but for everyday driving you might never get the chance to use that power. Airbox setups on the other hand are better for low to mid power and response so you get more useable power imo.

If you want to get a pod style setup, a shielded SRI (e.g J's racing, Gruppe M) is the way to go.

aaronng
08-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Take a vid of the Mugen on your manual Euro. I want to hear that.

sodaz
08-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Take a vid of the Mugen on your manual Euro. I want to hear that.

My Euro's an auto (wife can't drive stick) and I've got Toda headers so it will sound different. I'll see if i can make a vid this weekend.

Suntzu
08-10-2007, 08:18 PM
My Euro's an auto (wife can't drive stick) and I've got Toda headers so it will sound different. I'll see if i can make a vid this weekend.

My wife cant drive stick either, cause she cant get the branches through the front door :D

I got the fujita intake on order. Its almost the same as the injen but a little cheaper. It doesnt have any low down losses apparently. Ill do a review when I get it fitted. Im landing it for $320 AUD.Not bad. Its reasonably loud im told.

aaronng
08-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Ah... ok.. Then just the intake should be the same as in the vid. But them sweet Toda headers probably make your car have more power than mine!

sodaz
08-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Ah... ok.. Then just the intake should be the same as in the vid. But them sweet Toda headers probably make your car have more power than mine!

No probs. Yeah the Toda headers are very nice indeed.

SRVTIR
08-10-2007, 09:20 PM
guys,

i bought a supercheap pod, took the box out and it sounds just as hectick as that! it cost me 20 bucks lol

have a listen..

http://bebo.com/watch/3963779545

fjear
08-10-2007, 10:18 PM
aaronng: what kinda intake setup did the guy have in the blue accord you posted from the youtube links you know?

my god that sounded mighty fine..

DreadAngel
08-10-2007, 10:31 PM
fjear, thats his own CL9 ;)

I posted the DIY for his setup on the page before, he made his own Box and piping? with a A'Pexi Power Intake as the filter.

aaronng
08-10-2007, 10:36 PM
aaronng: what kinda intake setup did the guy have in the blue accord you posted from the youtube links you know?

my god that sounded mighty fine..

Yup, like what Dreadangel said. It's an Apexi intake. The problem with it is if you don't make an enclosure, you don't gain any power since the filter sits in the engine bay. But if all you are after is sound, then it is great without breaking the bank. Part number that you need for the pod and adapter (which fits on to the stock intake arm) is 508-H015 (for the CM2 Accord wagon)

akina
09-10-2007, 10:19 AM
As nice as this?
Outside: http://youtube.com/watch?v=WbJiFuYCnLA
Inside: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZM4RMAW9zjI

haha, i'll let u decide :p

As sodaz has said. Thats really the difference of a pod setup and an airbox.

But a CAI does it for me more, because i dont want it to be faster down low when im just cruising anyway... i wanted to be faster when im actually wanting it to go faster when im gunning it.

tony1234
09-10-2007, 12:27 PM
I think i'll wait for the JTUNE one and see what it sounds like.it's based on a K&N i believe so it shouldn't lose any low down power and it should be reasonably quiet.

aaronng
09-10-2007, 12:27 PM
But a CAI does it for me more, because i dont want it to be faster down low when im just cruising anyway... i wanted to be faster when im actually wanting it to go faster when im gunning it.
It won't be faster if you don't floor the accelerator. :) With all these intakes, they are all the same when you use part throttle. The difference is only when you are flooring it.

I like the best of both worlds. CAI+SRI ftw!

r-r-redEuro
09-10-2007, 12:32 PM
yep thats what im after aaronng, do my own piping with a SRI, in the middle of both worlds and its easier to clean the pod this way then CAI.

akina
09-10-2007, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=aaronng;1379072]It won't be faster if you don't floor the accelerator. :)QUOTE]

Yes, and thats what i meant ;)

aaronng
09-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Ooh yup, my bad. :)

Suntzu
09-10-2007, 03:39 PM
I think i'll wait for the JTUNE one and see what it sounds like.it's based on a K&N i believe so it shouldn't lose any low down power and it should be reasonably quiet.

I was gunna wait , but with the awesome aussie dollar and the fact that the Jtune, Injen and Fujita all look/perform basically the same I figured I'd save myself the $120 and get it in a week to boot. My logic anyways.

sodaz
09-10-2007, 06:47 PM
It won't be faster if you don't floor the accelerator. :) With all these intakes, they are all the same when you use part throttle. The difference is only when you are flooring it.

I like the best of both worlds. CAI+SRI ftw!

There's definitely a difference between the intakes in part throttle applications from my experience. The Mugen and Comptech icebox are much better than the Injen CAI in stop-start traffic and cruising due to better throttle response and low to mid range power. The Injen on the other hand, feels even weaker than stock down low but you get a lump of power towards the top end.

aaronng
09-10-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm not denying the better low end of the Mugen and Comptech (some dynos even show better top end!). But I'm saying that in normal driving at low RPM and partial throttle, just use more throttle if you have a CAI to compensate for the lower torque. :)