PDA

View Full Version : bleeding brakes, air only at the front?

vinnY
09-10-2007, 12:22 PM
bled my brakes last night, rears were fine
got up to the front passenger and i kept getting little bubbles which kept coming out of the nipple, pumped about 1/4 of a bottle of brake fluid through but they kept coming up
i used the down-open, close-up method of bleeding with someone at the pedal and myself running around releasing the fluid and topping up the cylinder
it sounded like something was leaking somewhere but i couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from, same story with the front passenger brake too

i have a suspicion that my brake master cylinder seals have gone but my brake pedal still feels solid and doesn't sink at all(though i do have a cusco brake cylinder brace) and braking performance is still great
would it have made a difference having my car jacked up at the front while bleeding the brakes as the cylinder would be on a tilting backwards angle?

anyone able to shed light on this for me? would prefer it if there were no bubbles at all :)

aaronng
09-10-2007, 12:33 PM
You should leave the nipple open and keep pumping the pedal til all the airbubbles come out. But yeah, sounds like a leak somewhere.

riruiz_88
09-10-2007, 12:56 PM
to make things simple for you, should go pick up a bleeder kit from super cheap. makes the job much easier, as it has a one way valve in it so it dosnt suck any air back in. and as Aaronng said, leave the nipple open dont need to "open, close, open, close".

Kiki
09-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Will not help jacking it up backwards on a slant while bleeding

Might help to jack it up to see if you can get a better look for a leak (though u probably done that already)....used to take ages to bleed some break systems when at honda...to get rid of all the bubbles..

Try leaving the nipple open....the bubble will find there own way out....they dont always need a push!!

aaronng
09-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Try leaving the nipple open....the bubble will find there own way out....they dont always need a push!!

The lines are narrow, so the bubbles will stay where they are.

Kiki
09-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Some bubbles will come out

aaronng
09-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Haven't had that. I always found the bubbles in my clear tube being sucked back in when I left the nipple open without pressing the pedal.

Kiki
09-10-2007, 09:38 PM
oh ok

Maybe im wrong....but usually i bleed the brakes down-open, close-up method

but when i started my apprenticeship at toyota they made me just open the nipple and the bubbles would just seep out/pop out!!! and somtimes even suck the fluid out of the reserviour...I think they were just lazy tho!! There methods were different to Honda!!

When i went honda they always did down-open, close-up method....but i thought id seen them pop out when u open the nipple....have to look into that!

aaronng
09-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Sucking the fluid out of the resevoir is good practice, especially when the fluid in the resevoir is already black or looking crap (from the cover not being put back properly). Don't want the crap to get the full tour through your brake system. I usually suck it out and then top it back up with fresh fluid before starting to bleed.

Kiki
09-10-2007, 10:07 PM
yeh thats what we did...and at honda

But sometimes at toyota especially at the start of my apprentceiship....all they said was too loosen the nipple and let the bubble seep out and the tighten it back up haha....i know not to do that anymore (well not that alone anyway)

I should have explained more in my answer

aaronng
09-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Wow, no wonder Toyota can offer $150 servicing! http://image-cache.ozhonda.com/forum/images/smilies/omg.gif

Kiki
09-10-2007, 10:12 PM
HAhahahaha lol

Yeh i noticed a massive change from moving from toyota workshop to Honda workshop

EG5[KRT]
09-10-2007, 10:21 PM
yeh thats what we did...and at honda

But sometimes at toyota especially at the start of my apprentceiship....all they said was too loosen the nipple and let the bubble seep out and the tighten it back up haha....i know not to do that anymore (well not that alone anyway)

I should have explained more in my answer

gravity bleed ftw :P

i do the down open up close method.. it doesnt allow the air to get sucked bak in... or u use a brake bleeder sucker tool and just leave the nipple open afta sucking it.. so any other bubbles caused by the sucker will come out

tinkerbell
09-10-2007, 11:15 PM
only losers leave the nipple open and just pump... :thumbdwn:

"down open/close up" rox0rs! :thumbsup:

vinny: to answer your question, you might be getting air coming in via the thread - you can remove the nipple entirely, then wrap it with PTFE tape (plumbing tape) and re-install - this will ensure that no air can get in via the thread...