just wordening if anyone can help me answer my question

any reply would be great

i got a set of the RE55s

after reading some post about semis

i came up with this question

how long does it take to get hard after you used them for track or anything

i mean, i saw someone post

after you used the semis, and just keep them in the garage or something

then tend to get harder and harder.. but how long does it takes?

they are expensive tires, so i wouldn't wanna see this kind of mistake happens.

so just wanna know how long does it normally takes for them to get harder and harder after them been used?

thanks

ONE600
10-10-2007, 01:34 AM
The best way to car for them is to treat it like food. If kept in storage put each tyre in a big air tight garbage bag. Some race teams do it which the tyre is still hot so the plastic sticks on to the tyre and this is for over night storage lol

skyfrank85
10-10-2007, 01:38 AM
The best way to car for them is to treat it like food. If kept in storage put each tyre in a big air tight garbage bag. Some race teams do it which the tyre is still hot so the plastic sticks on to the tyre and this is for over night storage lol

wow

seen like i did it quite badly

i just keep them open in the garage and stay them for about 3+ months be4 the next time i use them

so i think my semis are tend to get harder now right

haha

wuism
18-10-2007, 08:58 PM
i think the rubber only gets hard once you get a lot of heat get to them, and let them cool really fast. A048 i heard is the best known to get hard very fast after cooling down quickly.

Best just to garage them in a cool area, out of the sun while not using them and finish them before the use by date.

350G
27-10-2007, 06:56 PM
ask somewhere else

nd55
27-10-2007, 08:07 PM
> i think the rubber only gets hard once you get a lot of heat get to them,

No, each heating cycle will make the rubber progressively harder.

soft rubber is especially susceptible to this.

No idea of relative numbers to quote, I don't go below UTQG 250 and usually replace at wear indicators regardless of performance.

There is a 'best practice' philosophy, whereby new tyres are heat cycled once
(easy drive 100km) then immediately removed from vehicle and stored for at least 48hrs.

Supposedly makes the tyre last a bit longer and be less susceptible to heat cycle hardening.

Nick.

nd55
27-10-2007, 08:11 PM
> i mean, i saw someone post
> after you used the semis, and just keep them in the garage or something

Unused tyres deteriorate because of exposure to ozone, hence the recommendation to store in plastic bags.

Nick.