PDA

View Full Version : Powering an AMP in your stereo setup

kingyy
10-10-2007, 08:30 PM
For those who do not know, a ground loop is a problem where you hear that annoying buzz from the amps, where it changes pitch and tone with the revs of the engine.

The cause of a ground loop is where the ground voltage is not exactly 0 volts, usually due to impedence and resistance through the chassis, and if the stereo and amp are both powered from the same +ve point (usually the batter), but the grounding points are different, then you will get a ground loop almost 90% of the time.

Easiest way to avoid this is either grounding the amp directly back to the battery (although resistence in the cable run will cause other more annoying issues), or you ground the grounding points to a common spot.

This is more advanced audio install, but the best wiring is to have the amp as mentioned in my previous post, have the headunit constant also coming form the battery, or the jumpered somehow into the 4 gauge wire along the way.

With the grounding, use a 4 guage ground, which grounds directly to the chassis (yep, the chassis), then continues off to the chassis near the head unit (same ground style, with a u-clamp to ground it), then from there to the chassis next to the battery's 1st grounding point, and then meet up with the engine grounding point from the battery.

This way, your AMP grounds to the chassis, BUT you have now also grounded the chassis to the chassis next to the head unit (where you can then re-ground the headunit to), and then grounded that section (and the other section of the chassis) to the same ground as the battery.

Doing this will equalise the voltage throughout the length of the car, and therefore 99.9% eliminate the possibility of a ground loop.

Also, you use a larger grounding cable than the power cable, giving the Amplifier a much better ground.

Also, the reason I went a 4 guage from positive to distro, and then 8 guage from distro to AMP was because if you want to run a 2nd or 3rd, or 4th or more amps, you can run them from this distro (I tend to only run 2 amps from a 4 gauge feed).

The reason for grounding the AMP as early as possible, because the cable length will create resistance, which will alter the voltage value, thus causing ground loop.

IF you ground an AMP directly to the battery, it tends to spike and cut in and out when under large amounts of BASS (I did this with my first AMP install, and it was so bad I had to have the engine running to power the amp, but as soon as I limited the ground to 1 meter, and straight to the chassis, it stopped cutting in and out).

With grounding, make sure it's a GOOD GROUND, no point going "here's a bolt, it's got some paint, but it powers up, just stick it here", get the sandpaper out, scrub the paint away, bolt the cable to the chassis, and then get some clear-coat, or likewise colours paint, and paint OVER the wires, to protect the metal, that way the cable is grounded cleanly, but the metal is also protected.

With car audio installs, it gets very technical, and unless you install the entire thing properly, you will always have a bottle-neck in the system, for a nice sounding audio system, you cant have any compromise, otherwise dont bother doing it to begin with.

With my install, I have custom eathing kits that earth in 22 different points. I have double earthed head unit, double earthed AMPS, 3 amps installed (front, read, and subwoofer), boxed front split speakers (box for the midrange, box for the tweeters), boxed rear speakers, sound proofing in all doors, floors, and boot, rubber gromets between everything that bolts together to stop rattles, every sire soldered, shirnk-wrapped, and then tapped, all wires and looms in plastic cable wrapps, RCA and power cables run on seperate sides of the car to stop induction of noise, the only weak point in the entire installation is the stock as a rock rear speakers (the only mod to the rear speakers are Toyota Soarer front speaker boxes fitted to the rear speakers, this is to stop the boot-boxed free-air subwoofer from altering the air volume around the rear speakers

EuroDude
11-10-2007, 10:46 PM
"this is to stop the boot-boxed free-air subwoofer from altering the air volume around the rear speakers"

Interesting, didnt think of that.

"With my install, I have custom eathing kits that earth in 22 different points"

Do all the multiple earth points for one Amp need to be connected from the Amp side? Or can you chain the earth cables? for example, one cable coming from the Amp -> Into the chassis -> Another cable from that chassis point to another point -> etc..

ps. Do you connect the power and speaker cables to your amp by simply inserting the bare wires into the Amp and screw them down?
Or do you solder ring connectors to the wire ends?

I use bare wires since sending voltage over a fat 4 gauge cable then through a thin piece of metal (the ring connector), would create resistance.
But then again, using a ring connector would enable more surface area contact.

EuroDude
11-10-2007, 10:54 PM
ps, heaps of amplifier info can be found here
http://www.crutchfield.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/amplifiers_faq.html

cutchorama
12-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Please tell me you are in brisbane

sitta
14-10-2007, 10:43 AM
I might as well post a question here since im a noob. I have a 400w soundstream amp installed with 2 ch running my front split and a bridged for the sub. Im planning to get another amp so i can run my rear speakers off the soundstream and the new amp for the sub. Do i have to run a power wire again from the battery or can i use the existing power line and run the 2 amp in parallel

aaronng
14-10-2007, 07:37 PM
You shouldn't plagarise DIYs and posts from other sites.

EuroDude
14-10-2007, 11:54 PM
I might as well post a question here since im a noob. I have a 400w soundstream amp installed with 2 ch running my front split and a bridged for the sub. Im planning to get another amp so i can run my rear speakers off the soundstream and the new amp for the sub. Do i have to run a power wire again from the battery or can i use the existing power line and run the 2 amp in parallel

You must*run a separate power cable for each Amp.

Multiple Amps sharing the same cable can be dangerous.

sik-vic
17-10-2007, 07:53 PM

hey mate, when you run two amps there is no problem with running a distribution block to split the signal, saves you running two seperate cables. the way to do it is to run 4awg cable from the battery to the block and then 8awg from the block to each amp......youll be sweet then, then you dont have to fuse off two cables, its totally safe

sik-vic
17-10-2007, 07:54 PM
You must*run a separate power cable for each Amp.

Multiple Amps sharing the same cable can be dangerous.

sorry but i disagree totally, i have woked in a couple of car audio workshops and have never seen this done, only by noobs

cutchorama
18-10-2007, 08:59 AM
I am runnung a 2g power cable into a capacitor then 2 8g running from the same capacitor hole into 2 amps.

Also, is your negative from your amps meant to go through the cap or bypass the cap straight to the earth?

narchi
18-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Just run a rear battery. Either get a marine or drycell battery.
The massive benefits.

Works better than capacitors. Capacitors take longer to charge and dont hold charge aslong as batteries. Run batteries parallel and they drop charge at the same rate.

Then u ground ur amps to the batteries then batteris to chassis.
So much simpler than whatever was said. All u got to make sure is u use same size ground as ur power. Also use short lengths of ground.

U can have all grounds to a common spot. there is no problem with that. I had 12000wrms all grounded to one spot. No Engine noise. But like i said make sure short lenghts of cable and same size.

Also u should run power for each amp if u are running of the front battery. This stops volatage drop.
My systems are always designed for the least amount of voltage drop because it is a spl system and runs at alot of draw for 3 seconds. Every .1v counts in power.
Distributors cause extra resistance so its better not to use it as its jsut another place u can lose voltage. u can lose up to 1 volt front to back (seen it in some cars) Ground maybe important but all ur wiring is. Engine noise is generally when u have bad earth connections. Not that theres not enough provided u have done what i have said
Generally ground all the batteries and amps to the batteries is suffcient. and always run power cables down one side of the car and rcas down the opposite side