PDA

View Full Version : Tiptronic stuck in 2nd gear

badthing
11-10-2007, 12:35 PM
As the title says, my Accord Euro was stuck in second gear. I stopped at a red light & shifted into 2nd. The lights turned green, I reached ~50kph and found it wasn't possible to shift up. Anyone know why this would occur? It hasn't happened since that one incident.

jamchen
11-10-2007, 12:38 PM
um... so did you mean you tried to shift-up the gear but it would just stay in 2nd gear? is it just a once-off incident? Did you trash your car?:P

badthing
11-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Yea, it was stuck. I couldn't shift up or down. Tried switching back to auto mode but still stuck in 2nd. The gear display was blanked out and wouldn't indicate which gear I was in. It only happened once.

aaronng
11-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Looks like the transmission's ECU got confused... Could also be an intermittant VSS problem.

badthing
11-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Restarting the car at a red light solved the problem. It was confusing at the time. Almost as confusing as the right-hand hook turns when I was in Melbourne earlier this week.

aaronng
11-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Hook turns are easy. It's only confusing if you don't know what you are supposed to do. I just moved here from Sydney 7 months ago.

dc2dc2dc2
11-10-2007, 04:02 PM
hook turns are cool.

aaronng
11-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Where else in the world can you legally stop your car perpendicular to the flow of traffic and still be legal. :)
Anyway, back on topic.

LXRY
11-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Restarting the car at a red light solved the problem. It was confusing at the time. Almost as confusing as the right-hand hook turns when I was in Melbourne earlier this week.

Stuck huh......doesn't sound nice, good too see it fixed itself if you could say it like that...how do you use the triptronic ? I mean do you cruise in it, do you use it for the feel of the car winding up and winding down while gearing, do you use it when you want to get somewhere fast ?

What i've gathered from driving my car in triptronic it loves too be revd out in between 5,000 rpm to redline any less than that it doesn't feel right to me anyway, any less than that feels funny.

As for the hook turn lol.......sure does keep you on your toes while waiting for the lights to turn green, lol ;)

jamchen
11-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Stuck huh......doesn't sound nice, good too see it fixed itself if you could say it like that...how do you use the triptronic ? I mean do you cruise in it, do you use it for the feel of the car winding up and winding down while gearing, do you use it when you want to get somewhere fast ?

What i've gathered from driving my car in triptronic it loves too be revd out in between 5,000 rpm to redline any less than that it doesn't feel right to me anyway, any less than that feels funny.

As for the hook turn lol.......sure does keep you on your toes while waiting for the lights to turn green, lol ;)

i think you meant tiptronic right?
and the fact you are driving a Honda and Vtec Yo!

tron07
12-10-2007, 09:03 AM
lol at people who dont know hook turns..... [:D]

tony1234
12-10-2007, 09:46 AM
I don't.:o

15-10-2007, 03:42 PM
triptonic can get confused sometimes, when i first had my car i used to down shift to second, twice when coming to a stop it has stayed in 2nd and allowed me to take off in second then held second for a lot longer then normal, its good but can get confused, i dont down shift to a stop anymore, it is programmed to do this automatically anyway, if u let it do its job it wont get confused. you case seems abit more serious then mine but atleast it was able to be reset.

badthing
15-10-2007, 10:07 PM
triptonic can get confused sometimes, when i first had my car i used to down shift to second, twice when coming to a stop it has stayed in 2nd and allowed me to take off in second then held second for a lot longer then normal, its good but can get confused, i dont down shift to a stop anymore, it is programmed to do this automatically anyway, if u let it do its job it wont get confused. you case seems abit more serious then mine but atleast it was able to be reset.

Are you sure you didn't upshift into 2nd? Because..
If you manually shift into 2nd from 1st whilst under 20kph, it will stay in 2nd gear even after you come to a complete stop as long you've stayed in the same gear all the time. (In heavy traffic, I leave it in 2nd and just roll along.)

To cancel it, just shift it into 3rd when you're over 20kph. Then it will automatically downshift into 2nd and 1st at the pre-programmed speeds. You're supposed to use this 2nd gear feature in slippery/icy road conditions to minimise wheelspin on takeoff.

16-10-2007, 09:34 AM
i was only downshifting, never up shifting,

i only down shift now when i really want to compression brake, not when rolling to a stop as it will do it for you.

it only happened in the first 2 months of getting my euro

aaronng
16-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Compression braking in an auto is much weaker than in a manual because of the torque convertor. What you save in brake pads, you spend in clutch pack wear and more frequent ATF changes to keep the box happy.