PDA

View Full Version : My badge is not sticky enough!

Euro858
11-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Does anyone know what to use to keep my badge stuck onto the car? Theres a small gap between the car and the badge. I've heard that there is some double sided 3M tape from autobarn that you can use especially for badges. True? anyone tried it before? Any other solutions?

omgzilla
11-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Anything made by 3M is usually awesome! I've never had a product from them that hasn't worked.

You can use a Body Attachment Tape such as this:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard-PPF/Home/For/the_Pro/Product_Info/PPF/?PC_7_0_A9O_nid=CNH6ZK57MRgsDTH403RKDTglXPHQ158LR5 bl

I'd be using a tape such as this or similar, rather than gluing the badge on.

You'd be surprised how well the 3M body tape is! Held my sideskirt on my old car! :P

Just a tip: Clean both surfaces that are to be 'mated' thoroughly. I'd advise against polishing the panel surface where the badge will be placed as the slick finish of the polished panel won't provide as good of a 'grip' for the tape to stick to.

Have fun!

Euro858
11-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Anything made by 3M is usually awesome! I've never had a product from them that hasn't worked.

You can use a Body Attachment Tape such as this:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard-PPF/Home/For/the_Pro/Product_Info/PPF/?PC_7_0_A9O_nid=CNH6ZK57MRgsDTH403RKDTglXPHQ158LR5 bl

I'd be using a tape such as this or similar, rather than gluing the badge on.

You'd be surprised how well the 3M body tape is! Held my sideskirt on my old car! :P

Just a tip: Clean both surfaces that are to be 'mated' thoroughly. I'd advise against polishing the panel surface where the badge will be placed as the slick finish of the polished panel won't provide as good of a 'grip' for the tape to stick to.

Have fun!

Its actually only a small section at the top of the badge that seems to be showing the gap. The rest holds.... You reckin slip in a 3M at the top or pop the entire badge off...clean off any remaining glue, and cover the back with 3M?

traumatized
11-10-2007, 08:18 PM
i would probably take of the entire badge off, as you will have alot of trouble sliding double sided tape in a small gap.

take it off clean the badge up, clean the tape on the badge and replace the tape then apply it to the paint

oh another thing is that there a many varients of 3M tapes as stated try the 3M automotive tape can be purchased from autobarn, bunnings and so forth.

the 3M exterior mounting tape it is very good but might be too strong to stick onto your paint surface as you will find it very hard to get the badge off in the future if you ever wanted to. but it is great very strong stuff.

EuroDude
11-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Its going to be very hard to slip double sided tape into a small gap. So you may want to remove the whole thing and apply some high strength weather-proof 3M tape (you can buy it from hardware stores).

Heat the badge up using a hair dryer, and pull some thin fishing wire down through the gap to pop it off. Remove the existing adhesive and clean the surfaces with some methylated spirits, apply the new adhesive and slowly apply the badge and apply pressure.

omgzilla
11-10-2007, 09:19 PM
EuroDude is on the money with the hairdryer and fishing line trick, but just be careful with the hair dryer - don't get too close to the badge when heating and don't let it get too hot.

Too close and the badge facing will most probably bubble up and or start to peel up.
Too hot and you could risk warping and when prying it off you could bend it out of shape.

Remember: You're just using enough heat to loosen the glue, not turn it into liquid. Just be careful with it and use your common sense and you should be fine ;)