PDA

View Full Version : Vtec Engagement + Turbo

kerim
11-10-2007, 10:41 PM
i recently turboed my b16/b20 civic, currently untuned, but ever since its been turboed, vtec doesnt kick in, like i rev out to like 7k RPM but no vtec is engaged, is that normal or is it supposed to kick in, or is this just due to the fact that its untuned and will changed once tuned

thanks
kerim

tRipitaka
11-10-2007, 10:42 PM
why would u rev out to 7k untuned ? :confused:

kerim
11-10-2007, 10:42 PM
testing it out

dc2dc2dc2
11-10-2007, 10:44 PM
bad idea.

kerim
11-10-2007, 10:48 PM
ive been driving for about a month untuned so far, kepping in vaccum most times, but boosting occasionally, seems fine so far

anyway back on topic

fatboyz39
11-10-2007, 11:05 PM
seems fine then next thnig kaboomm....

But vtec should be working regardless, vtec works on throttle i.e >50%?

kerim
11-10-2007, 11:05 PM
wat would be the cause of it not engaging?

IEVAQ8
11-10-2007, 11:53 PM
are you using any sort of cmputer???
maybe it isnt vtec compatible?????

kerim
11-10-2007, 11:55 PM
are you using any sort of cmputer???
maybe it isnt vtec compatible?????

unichip, i dont think that is the problem, as vtec was engaging before the turbo conversion

Limbo
12-10-2007, 01:20 AM
i know what it is. You have to rem that you've prob took the pickup of the engine oil to feed the turbo. You've prob dropped the oil pressure of the engine, and maybe its too low to engage the vtec.

Limo
12-10-2007, 01:49 AM
have you checked out your vtec solenoid?

andiiso
12-10-2007, 02:33 AM
maybe you just cant feel your vtec due to your turbo ?

Sexc86
12-10-2007, 07:54 AM
yeh cmon man why thrash you untuned and im guessing quite expensive setup? keep in mine a Forced induction Vtec is usually quite different (softer/ quieter) then your NA Vtec noise. maybe thats your problem?

DLO01
12-10-2007, 08:47 AM
yeh cmon man why thrash you untuned and im guessing quite expensive setup? keep in mine a Forced induction Vtec is usually quite different (softer/ quieter) then your NA Vtec noise. maybe thats your problem?

Agree with comments ^^^ :thumbsup:

Much quieter with all the piping, intercooler etc.

kerim
12-10-2007, 09:58 AM
i know what it is. You have to rem that you've prob took the pickup of the engine oil to feed the turbo. You've prob dropped the oil pressure of the engine, and maybe its too low to engage the vtec.

that could be the problem hey, coz its teed off to attach the turbo feed to it aswell, hence the lower pressure, that could be it, how can i raise the oil pressure for it to be enuf to engage.

have you checked out your vtec solenoid?

how do i do that?

kerim
12-10-2007, 10:01 AM

dont worry man, i keep it in vaccum most time, that could be it or also as limbo said not enuf oil pressure for it to engage

Agree with comments ^^^ :thumbsup:

Much quieter with all the piping, intercooler etc.

hows yours sound man, is your vtec engagement loud or is it bearly hearable or...?

DLO01
12-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Wheres your turbo oil feed? from the back of the block? Best place to feed oil to your turbo is via a sandwich plate under your filter. But thats another subject.

What is your turbo? line sizes? Have you a restrictor? Restrictor in turbo. If you have not got a restrictive path, the oil will take the easiest route, that being through the turbo straight to your sump. And your engine will not be getting much oil. If your not hearing Vtec then its quite possible your pressure is not enough and you could be risking your motor.

Of course Vtec is going to sound less. NA you have an arm and a filter on the end. Vtec induction noise ftw.

Boosting you have piping, piping, more piping, intercooler, piping, turbo, piping, filter. Of course its not going to sound as loud. You can still hear the crossover, its just less of an induction noise and more of an engine noise.

Oh yeh, and don't boost her untunned. ping ping boom. :p

barefootbonzai
12-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Just be carefull bro, you dont' wanna go blowing your motor. Try disconnect the intake arm, so your car is running in NA form. See if vtec is still engaging.

kerim
12-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Wheres your turbo oil feed? from the back of the block? Best place to feed oil to your turbo is via a sandwich plate under your filter. But thats another subject.

What is your turbo? line sizes? Have you a restrictor? Restrictor in turbo. If you have not got a restrictive path, the oil will take the easiest route, that being through the turbo straight to your sump. And your engine will not be getting much oil. If your not hearing Vtec then its quite possible your pressure is not enough and you could be risking your motor.

Of course Vtec is going to sound less. NA you have an arm and a filter on the end. Vtec induction noise ftw.

Boosting you have piping, piping, more piping, intercooler, piping, turbo, piping, filter. Of course its not going to sound as loud. You can still hear the crossover, its just less of an induction noise and more of an engine noise.

Oh yeh, and don't boost her untunned. ping ping boom. :p

Oil feed line is from back of block, using a 3/8 oil feed line and 5/8 oil return line, not too sure about the restrictive part

Just be carefull bro, you dont' wanna go blowing your motor. Try disconnect the intake arm, so your car is running in NA form. See if vtec is still engaging.

should do that, sounds logical, will give it a try

DLO01
12-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Oil feed line is from back of block, using a 3/8 oil feed line and 5/8 oil return line, not too sure about the restrictive part

I would trying to figure out what the problem is before you start Vtec-ing.

What turbo?

If it is not a GT turbo you may need to run a restrictor. Like I said the pressure will take the easiest path to your sump and you will have bugger all pressure for the motor. This could be why your not hearing Vtec.

kerim
12-10-2007, 11:39 AM
nah not GT turbo, so wont have restrictor then

So is this what i need
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo-Oil-Restrictor-T3-T4-T-series-NPT-Honda-VW-Nissan_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ004QQi temZ140167268564QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V

And as you said before, if not enough oil pressure it can risk the motor, so i should get one of these then hey

DLO01
12-10-2007, 11:52 AM
So its not a GT turbo. These come with and inbuilt restrictor.

Is it some other ball bearing? This may need a restrictor if it does not have one.

Is it a Journal type? Most people don't use restrictors as they are not usually required unless your blowing smoke out the back.

kerim
12-10-2007, 12:00 PM
its blowing smoke so ill get a restrictor, i think i might have one lying around or can always DIY like this, lol
http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=765490

DLO01
12-10-2007, 12:07 PM
I wish you would have said its blowing smoke in your 1st post. :confused:

This could possibly be your problem, or could be contributing to the problem. Your turbo could be frked and your just band aiding the problem. Or it could be something else as well.

Just be carefull with restrictor size. Journal turbos require more oil than ball bearing.

Get a oil pressure gauge so you can see and monitor.

RedVTi
12-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Damn. I just bought a turbo kit from Kerim for my SOHC VTEC D16Y6 motor. I hope that I won't have to encounter the same problem. Should i buy the D16 forged pistons & conrods as well as the metal gaskets now before the kit installation?

DLO01
12-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Should I put on the black shirt and cream pants before I put my runners on?

Sorry, bit of an open question man.

You can do anything you wan't. :thumbsup:

RedVTi
12-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Sorry. Just realised it is an open question, probably just thinking out loud.

Limbo
13-10-2007, 09:14 PM
You need the restricter as it can damage the turbo somehow. Can't rem why again.

If you need to raise your oil pressure have a look at the DIY SCREMA did a write up some time ago.

But try the restricter, it might fix the prob. Also i'd install a oil pressure guage it might help to diagnoise the prob. ALso check that your Vtec is working. There is something in the DIY also on how to check the soloid.

tekung89
15-10-2007, 08:42 PM
yeh u need a restrictor or else ur oil will overflow ur turbo lol. thats wat happen to me, and it jus went out the rear housing and flood/burns up in the downpipe

BALIW
19-10-2007, 08:21 AM
i recently turboed my b16/b20 civic, currently untuned, but ever since its been turboed, vtec doesnt kick in, like i rev out to like 7k RPM but no vtec is engaged, is that normal or is it supposed to kick in, or is this just due to the fact that its untuned and will changed once tuned

thanks
kerim

Bro,

Vtec should engage if it was working last tym.

Nways get the car tuned and check the wiring and other tings that links with the Vtec. now when u get it tuned set the Vtec to kick in aroung 4500rpm. with boost u want the vtec to kick in early. Get the car tuned as u might hurt ur engine:)

BALIW
19-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Damn. I just bought a turbo kit from Kerim for my SOHC VTEC D16Y6 motor. I hope that I won't have to encounter the same problem. Should i buy the D16 forged pistons & conrods as well as the metal gaskets now before the kit installation?

If ur planning to run more than 8psi with ur stock internals, well i suggest u do ur bottom end. Atleast by putting rods and pistons u can run more boost and u wont hurt the engine even if ur running stock head. Other things u should do before u put the kit is get a tunable ECU, maybe change the injectors and fuel pump to gain power. With that set up engine will be safe and should go well:)

RedVTi
19-10-2007, 12:52 PM
If ur planning to run more than 8psi with ur stock internals, well i suggest u do ur bottom end. Atleast by putting rods and pistons u can run more boost and u wont hurt the engine even if ur running stock head. Other things u should do before u put the kit is get a tunable ECU, maybe change the injectors and fuel pump to gain power. With that set up engine will be safe and should go well:)

The kit which i have bought from Kerim looks impressive. I am very happy with it.

I have also purchased Apexi AFC Neo, hi-flow cat and fuel regulator for this set up.

Will get it running first then proceed with the appropriate upgrade.

I will take pics for future posting. Thanks for the advise.

Lukezen27
22-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Anyone what jumpers to set to enable VTec on E-management?

I pic of which one would be great...

Thanks

aimre
22-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Anyone what jumpers to set to enable VTec on E-management?

I pic of which one would be great...

Thanks

I did it for you....

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/289/emngjumpers9hy.png

aimre
22-10-2007, 11:22 PM

its the power that will hurt ur rods (provided its tuned right) not the boost.

d16 can put down very decent number without being built

tRipitaka
22-10-2007, 11:41 PM
The kit which i have bought from Kerim looks impressive. I am very happy with it.

hope it wasn't the ssac kit

RedVTi
23-10-2007, 12:32 AM
hope it wasn't the ssac kit

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75050&page=4

i have already posted what i have receved in the above thread.

Lukezen27
23-10-2007, 07:35 AM
I did it for you....

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/289/emngjumpers9hy.png

Yeah I know bro

Thanks Alex

Just reading up on this stuff :thumbsup:

The more I learn the better..

Lukezen27
11-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Well guys I now know why I was not feeling VTec.

NO VTec due to broken Lost Motion Assembly Holder :thumbdwn:

Now its been replaced VTec is working :thumbsup:

I've got a pic of the crack if anyways interested lol

Anyone know that the hell could break the Lost Motion Assembly Holder?

Rob from Hannys has never seem one do that:(

Limbo
11-11-2007, 09:50 PM
misfire?

Lukezen27
12-11-2007, 09:47 AM
misfire?

Not sure how that would affect Lost Motion Assembly Holder

Weq
20-11-2007, 04:43 PM
ive cracked em. but due to improper assembly of cam :)

Lukezen27
20-11-2007, 06:11 PM
ive cracked em. but due to improper assembly of cam :)

Ouch

I doubt that's what happened to mine?