PDA

View Full Version : CVT broken in 2 months w00t

condomsakti
12-10-2007, 12:25 AM
I bought a brand new 2007 Jazz VTiS and it's only done 2000kms and the CVT farked up already. Took it back to Honda dealer and they said it's gonna take at least 1 week (up to 3 weeks they said). WTF?!?! :confused:They have to order the whole CVT brand new from Japan. Sounds fishy don't you think? :?: The service guy said he'll give me a rental car for free while my car getting fixed plus no charge for the repair and stuff. Btw they also flush and upgrade the cvt oil and still no improvement. My question is do you guys have this kinda CVT problem? It's pissed me off big time, i just got my bodykits installed and this problem came up. Maybe im gonna trashed the rental car for revenge. hehehe :cool:

shadou
12-10-2007, 12:27 AM
LOL hahahaha poor you.

12-10-2007, 07:49 AM
Not good news man.

Speaking of CVT's....I think mine is giving problems too.

Ive got a jazz VTi-S aswell, and on take off, under load, or on a hill, there is a slight shudder from 10km/h for about 1 second. I'm going to get the CVT oil flushed.

According to the dealer, Honda brought in a new CVT oil about 6 months ago to curb the growing issues with the tranmission.

Makes me think that the standard automatic used in the American Jazz might have been the better way to go for Honda Australia..

HondaTechy
12-10-2007, 08:34 AM
whats wrong with it?

12-10-2007, 09:23 AM
whats wrong with it?

The oil or the CVT?

lilwilliam
12-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Not good news man.

Speaking of CVT's....I think mine is giving problems too.

Ive got a jazz VTi-S aswell, and on take off, under load, or on a hill, there is a slight shudder from 10km/h for about 1 second. I'm going to get the CVT oil flushed.

According to the dealer, Honda brought in a new CVT oil about 6 months ago to curb the growing issues with the tranmission.

Makes me think that the standard automatic used in the American Jazz might have been the better way to go for Honda Australia..

hmm i think this is a common issue with the Honda Jazz my sisters o3 jazz does the same thing hers is the gli one, so i dont think it would be the cvt.. unless the gli came with cvt???

shadou
12-10-2007, 11:45 AM
jazz shudders has been covered numerous times, I just cbf'd finding the link.

condomsakti
12-10-2007, 12:21 PM
95331140: My Honda dealer already flushed my cvt oil and upgraded with the new cvt oil and checked the start clutch aswell, but still shudder. They said its not the star clutch, they found that the cvt gearbox is a defect and they just going to replace it with a new one ordered from Japan. So if flushing doesnt make a diffrence ask ur honda dealer to replace it with the new one (if under warranty), and u should get a free rental car too.

condomsakti
12-10-2007, 12:23 PM
hmm i think this is a common issue with the Honda Jazz my sisters o3 jazz does the same thing hers is the gli one, so i dont think it would be the cvt.. unless the gli came with cvt???

Yes, GLi come with cvt but without the 7 speed mode.

12-10-2007, 12:27 PM
95331140: My Honda dealer already flushed my cvt oil and upgraded with the new cvt oil and checked the start clutch aswell, but still shudder. They said its not the star clutch, they found that the cvt gearbox is a defect and they just going to replace it with a new one ordered from Japan. So if flushing doesnt make a diffrence ask ur honda dealer to replace it with the new one (if under warranty), and u should get a free rental car too.

Damn it. Honda are going to charge me $180 to flush and replace the CVT oil.
I wonder if they will refund me if that doesnt fix the issue?
My car isnt under warranty anymore...so I aint forking out thousands to replace the box. Might be time to sell it off to some sucker!!

12-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Can anyone find the links/threads for the Jazz CVT shudder issues?

panda[cRx]
12-10-2007, 01:10 PM
I bought a brand new 2007 Jazz VTiS and it's only done 2000kms and the CVT farked up already. Took it back to Honda dealer and they said it's gonna take at least 1 week (up to 3 weeks they said). WTF?!?! :confused:They have to order the whole CVT brand new from Japan. Sounds fishy don't you think? :?:

it's not fishy, if you did your research you would know the honda cvt's are a known issue.

Maybe im gonna trashed the rental car for revenge. hehehe :cool:
what good is that gonna do you?

condomsakti
12-10-2007, 01:34 PM
It's pissed me off man, 3 weeks to fix the car? Come on. I just bought the car like end of august. and now i have to drive their crappi rental car. blah..

shadou
12-10-2007, 02:04 PM
isn't their crappy rental car a jazz as well?

condomsakti
12-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Yes Gli 1.3 bahahaha

12-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Dont a lot of Honda bikes/scooter run CVT's??

They must be good at making them to some degree!

shadou
12-10-2007, 03:09 PM
don't know about honda bikes and scooters but the CVT's in Jazz's and HRV's are gay

panda[cRx]
12-10-2007, 05:25 PM
It's pissed me off man, 3 weeks to fix the car? Come on. I just bought the car like end of august. and now i have to drive their crappi rental car. blah..

parts on back order from japan take 2-3 weeks average, so most of that 3 weeks will be waiting for the trans assy. the actual fitment of the trans won't take long at all.

they're fixing your car at no charge and providing you with wheels in the meantime.

consider yourself lucky, i've known of a HRV owner having to wait about 6 weeks for a trans assembly to arrive from japan as they were even short of stock in japan

condomsakti
12-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Panda dude...u dont understand...I left my car at Honda for 3 weeks. or untill the parts arrive. Meaning i dont get to drive my own car. and i just got my body kit fitted. The already took the gearbox out. U dig bro?

destrukshn
12-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Panda dude...u dont understand...I left my car at Honda for 3 weeks. or untill the parts arrive. Meaning i dont get to drive my own car. and i just got my body kit fitted. The already took the gearbox out. U dig bro?
up to 3 weeks, they could have the gearbox there in 1 week, depending what time honda bring box in.
shit happens, they're still fixing it, IF you do have a problem with quality of honda cars, don't take it up with your service, it's not they're fault, they didn't build your car, they're just their to help you, and do their job.
if you want to complain about it, take it straight up to honda australia.

panda[cRx]
12-10-2007, 06:17 PM
lol i work at a dealer, i know the process so YES I DO DIG BRO.

yes it's a pain the ass that u cant enjoy your new kit for a few weeks and ur pissed off etc. but didn't you do some research before you bought the car? if you ask anyone YES the jazz cvt's are a known problem, pretty much the only thing letting what is otherwise a good car down.

i'd buy one for my gf to get around in but she can't drive manual and i don't trust the cvt's

up to 3 weeks, they could have the gearbox there in 1 week, depending what time honda bring box in.
shit happens, they're still fixing it, IF you do have a problem with quality of honda cars, don't take it up with your service, it's not they're fault, they didn't build your car, they're just their to help you, and do their job.
if you want to complain about it, take it straight up to honda australia.

just like shrek says, there is no point taking it out on the dealer or the service dept (or trashing the courtesy car)
take it up with honda aust :wave:

fundies
13-10-2007, 06:54 PM
don't know about honda bikes and scooters but the CVT's in Jazz's and HRV's are gay

Not that there's anything wrong with that!!!!!!:p

omgzilla
13-10-2007, 07:09 PM
condomsatki: If the car is under warranty and the transmission gets replaced, you should get an extended warranty on the transmission (beyond normal warranty period).

95331140: Depending how far out of warranty period you car is, it might be worth enquiring about 'good-will' warranty on the transmission. At my dealership they offer this to customers if its not far out of normal warranty period, if the issue is a known/common fault and/or if the car has been kept up to date with servicing history.

panda[cRx] may be able to clear this up?

Ive got a jazz VTi-S aswell, and on take off, under load, or on a hill, there is a slight shudder from 10km/h for about 1 second.

CVT's in the R50 Mini Coopers all do the 'delayed response'/shudder on take off. From the info i've gathered at work on our information boards, this issue or 'operation' is pretty much just the band gear coming into tension and loading up once torque is applied.

Just a shame that car manufacturers (as far as i've seen) cant seem to be getting the CVT perfect, just yet.

Sherweeeny
13-10-2007, 07:14 PM
lol mate, id be shitted off too! after everyone here has said that the cvts are known to have issues... to who!? who knows this? a bunch of guys on a honda forum?
seriously, the average joe would have NFI! when i went to buy the civic, my dad was all for a honda because he trusts the brand. if the CVT's are screwing up, then honda should get off their ass and do something about it, the jazz has been facelifted already, so if there was an issue, they shouldve addressed this with a new transmission, or maybe a downgrade to the trusty 4 speed auto?

years back, my mate had a cvt, and he would do EVERYTHING to it, floor it in neutral then shift into D, shift like an idiot, always have the thing working, and there have not been any issues with it at all!, shows you that hondas work better under pressure :p

anyways so hondas given you a loan car, and thats really all you can do... you can contact honda australia, or go to the department of fair trading, but in the end, i guess its a new car, with a warranty, soemthing has screwed up, and you are covered by the warranty and are being taken care of, so what would you complain about?

16-10-2007, 05:53 PM
CVT's in the R50 Mini Coopers all do the 'delayed response'/shudder on take off. From the info i've gathered at work on our information boards, this issue or 'operation' is pretty much just the band gear coming into tension and loading up once torque is applied.

The Honda postie bikes (which run CVT's) are nothing short of indestructible. Just a shame that car manufacturers (as far as i've seen) cant seem to be getting the CVT perfect, just yet.

Ok, regarding the shudder issue. Got it fixed! Honda service did a double flush on the CVT oil and also performed a CVT memory reset. All good now. Thank god it wasnt the start-clutch. That would not have been a cheap fix. The best part is, they didnt charge me for this as I had the oil flushed only 6000km's ago! Hoooray.

But I did have to cough up some cash, as I had to replace a rear left bearing assembly. That cost $350...ahhwell...Jazz is back to normal now.

Syd0rxl
16-10-2007, 08:42 PM
sorry guys, this may sound stupid, but how do you know if the CVT is screwing up? i just bought mine 2 months ago, its a vti auto with 7 speed mode.... so far so good

omgzilla
16-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Ok, regarding the shudder issue. Got it fixed! Honda service did a double flush on the CVT oil and also performed a CVT memory reset.

Great! Good to see they did it at no charge.

I think we may have been thinking about a different sort of 'shudder'.

shadou
16-10-2007, 09:44 PM
sorry guys, this may sound stupid, but how do you know if the CVT is screwing up? i just bought mine 2 months ago, its a vti auto with 7 speed mode.... so far so good

shudders, shudders and more shudders.

17-10-2007, 07:14 AM
Just some further details regarding the shudder fix for my car:

I had one of the Honda tech's come with me for a drive so I could demonstrate the issue. He said, the first step would be to do a double flush. His reasoning for this is, when they perform the first flush, not all the oil drains from the transmission, so there will be dirty oil still present. The double flush obviously ensures all old/dirty oil is drained.

The tech also performed a CVT memory reset. They then performed a test drive and said its all good.

The dealer I went to was Trivett Honda in Parramatta. Note, the service department is a separate building from the Honda showroom. The service department is approx 2-3km's from the showroom.

bennjamin
17-10-2007, 02:12 PM
do the cars with shudders , use teh manual mode alot ?
I drive my gf's jazz all over the place in D and never a hitch.
But i guess constant abuse of the manual mode might make it begin to slip

17-10-2007, 03:38 PM
I use manual mode like once a week. And even then, its only for 5-10min stretches. So thats not the cause..

panda[cRx]
17-10-2007, 05:12 PM

it's nothing to do with the manual mode. gli's have cvt problems too

(not to mention hrv's and the ek civics which had cvt's too - neither had a 'manual mode')

avexdevil
17-10-2007, 09:38 PM
where do u feel this 'shuddering'? the whole car??

does my jazz cvt gli have this 'manual mode' also? wanna try :P (even tho i only haf auto license :P).

shadou
18-10-2007, 12:40 AM
... did you read panda's post above? Your Jazz GLI has no 'manual mode' which is just a 'sporty' feel, by letting the driver manually change gears via 2 paddle shifters on the wheel. It's pretty gay the design

yakuza
18-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Damn it. Honda are going to charge me $180 to flush and replace the CVT oil.
I wonder if they will refund me if that doesnt fix the issue?
My car isnt under warranty anymore...so I aint forking out thousands to replace the box. Might be time to sell it off to some sucker!!

That's interesting, Formula Honda charge me just $120 flush and replace the CVT oil, also included computer reset... after that, our Jazz runs perfectly.

By the way, did u shop around in your city? I found out Nordic Honda in Adelaide always charge 20% to 25% more than Formula Honda, also their staff always with shxt manner.
Good Luck!

lammyg
25-10-2007, 01:29 PM
I bought a brand new 2007 Jazz VTiS and it's only done 2000kms and the CVT farked up already. Took it back to Honda dealer and they said it's gonna take at least 1 week (up to 3 weeks they said). WTF?!?! :confused:They have to order the whole CVT brand new from Japan. Sounds fishy don't you think? :?: The service guy said he'll give me a rental car for free while my car getting fixed plus no charge for the repair and stuff. Btw they also flush and upgrade the cvt oil and still no improvement. My question is do you guys have this kinda CVT problem? It's pissed me off big time, i just got my bodykits installed and this problem came up. Maybe im gonna trashed the rental car for revenge. hehehe :cool:

How much did the cvt cost you?

panda[cRx]
25-10-2007, 03:08 PM
do you guys read?
his is a warranty repair (FREE!)
they gave him a loan car to use in the meantime too

condomsakti
25-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Yes, it's FOC they give me a brand new car for replacement, only 50km on the clock. It's been 2 weeks now and still waiting.

lammyg
25-10-2007, 10:41 PM
;1402659']do you guys read?
his is a warranty repair (FREE!)
they gave him a loan car to use in the meantime too

Sorry mate...ill rephrase that!!

How much does a CVT cost?:thumbsup:

condomsakti
07-07-2011, 04:30 PM
around $6000 i heard. to replace a new one at Honda dealer.

BlitZ
21-10-2011, 11:37 AM
might as well write the car off.. damn!

fillit
21-10-2011, 06:32 PM
$6000 for a gearbox is a ridiculous amount, if it came to that i would put in 4k more and have a kseries conversion...

zealot42
21-10-2011, 08:51 PM
LOL agree, at least insurance pays it off :P

GU357
21-10-2011, 11:15 PM
wow thread revived.

l.ho
22-10-2011, 06:34 PM
$6000 for a gearbox is a ridiculous amount, if it came to that i would put in 4k more and have a kseries conversion...

i'd also do that XD

or alternatively, get a used cvt from the wreckers for less than 6k...

condomsakti
23-10-2011, 03:27 PM
it was under warranty foc with free rental car. so it's all good :)

catfish
25-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Just a quick one guys,
Still don't get it, by flushing CVT oil. I've read a lot about this big mechanical fault issue, and I still couldn't see how's that be solved just by replacing oil. What is the new oil do?... is the new one thicker enough to "hide" the problem?

GU357
25-10-2011, 07:46 PM
no its just the oil gets dirty quickly because its in the CVT and in the clutch, so if the clutch gets burnt or particles fly through the oil its going to cause wear and damage which then damages the start clutch.

so by changing the oil u eliminate dirt thats in it, and by doing a flush it washes out any that maybe stuck to the mechanical components

catfish
26-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Aha, logical.
Still this sound like a serious issue, happening after 20000km or so... never had a problem with my previous auto Mazda for example, but I suppose in some case the old technology is better.

BTW, where should I look/what sign should I read... to determine the type of gear box for my brand new Jazz VTI MY12 auto? CVT or just a classic one?

GU357
26-10-2011, 07:12 PM
i dont think they put the CVT in the new jazz's but on the offchance, just drive and watch the tacho whilst u accelerate and see if it goes up then drops down as the auto shifts through the gears for u if it does that then u have an auto, if it increases in revs but the revs kinda lock at 4000rpm without dropping into another gear and ur speed goes up smoothly then its CVT