PDA

View Full Version : Advice on removing front engine mount on CRX B16 conversion?

JohnCRX
05-08-2004, 09:10 PM
The process of installing the B16 into the CRX which has been recommended involves using the 3 Hasport mounts, and removing the front mount from the front cross member.
What is the consensus on this method?
Are there likely to be any probs when I get the inspection to get the new engine number passed for change of rego?
Am I likely to get referred for an engineers report who will then condemn it because the mounts have compromised the stability of the donk????

dave_ed9
06-08-2004, 11:59 AM
depends what engineer you take it to, but the b16 only uses 3 mounts in the cars it comes standard in, so i wouldnt think you'd have any probs.

Setanta
06-08-2004, 08:03 PM
depends what engineer you take it to, but the b16 only uses 3 mounts in the cars it comes standard in, so i wouldnt think you'd have any probs.

At the risk of pointing out you are wrong... you're wrong.

I own a JDM EF9 which came from the factory with a B16A standard - it has 4 engine mounts. One each side, one front, one back. I re-iterate: You're wrong.

Dave_ed9: I'd guess no-one would know the doifference if you did a good job cutting off the mount and then respraying or powdercoating the crossmember. The Hasport mounts are pretty hard from what I've heard from others who have done the conversion in the US and they lack the gaps in the mount the factory ones had. This leads to reduced damping of engine vibration but may increase the 3 mount combo's ability to stabilise the motor. Personally, I'd see about having a 4th one custom made if you could, but that's just me.

Hmmm - I was under the impression that you used the 3 mounts and an existing mount - but I could be very well wrong here.

BTW: If you have original EF8/9 mounts handy from your engine purchase, sell them to me - I need spares :)

mr crex
07-08-2004, 07:47 PM
the HASport mounts are extremely hard for a 3mount engine position ... my engine has almost no movement at all...

we cut off my front mount bracket and repainted the crossmember ... looks like theres no mounting point at all there.

Setana a standard mount will not fit as the engine is more forward compared to the standard EF8/9 engine position.

if you want mounts I think I got mine lying around still... will speak to ya on msn about them if you like.

dave_ed9
08-08-2004, 06:19 PM
I own a JDM EF9 which came from the factory with a B16A standard - it has 4 engine mounts.

ef9's are 1st gen b16s, but i was under the impression that the later ones like you see in delsols and civic sirs only used 3, but i could be wrong again :)

Setanta
09-08-2004, 08:08 AM
Ok - first the EF9 is a SiR. I had a look, the front engine mount attaches to the gearbox. If he's using a Y1 or S1 gearbox then the mount will be there. All EF/ED/EE Civics and CRXs are cable clutch. The later EG and EKs are hydraulic clutch. I don't know about their mounting points though - never had to look at them so you might be right.

Horses for courses - personally - if Honda engineered the car with 4, they prolly had a reason - if Hasport have engineered it with 3 - they probably have a reason too :)

weezer
09-08-2004, 09:48 AM
Del Sols have 5 mounting points. One on the gearbox, one on the passanger side, one on the rear and two torque mounts on the front.

dave_ed9
09-08-2004, 12:22 PM
well there ya go, i'm gonna shut up now :)
i've since realised that my bseries half cut was missing torque mounts, but i don't need them so meh.
as for removing the front engine mount bracket, i'm gonna do the same thing and get the crossmember repainted.

mytoycivic
09-08-2004, 11:40 PM
where did you get your front cut from??? because i am looking for a b16a but i dont know exactly where to look. sss auto? jap moto? where abouts?

dave_ed9
10-08-2004, 09:24 AM
Name: Alljap Auto Parts
Phone: Ph (07) 3865 2221
Web: ---
Address: 1860 Sandgate Rd, Virginia, QLD

They said they were getting a load of B16 manual cuts in soon too