PDA

View Full Version : Water in OIL

eLs6uep
12-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Hey guys i was wondering if water could get into your Cold air intake and into your oil? because i was driving and it started piss raining, drove in the rain for like 5mins in the rain the notice that i was blow tons of smoke out my exhaust..pulled over into the servo checked out my car to find that my oil was milky..so i check the coolant and it was fine all green looking...so i went too get my car serviced that night found shit loads of water in my oil wen draining it out...so i replaced my oil and everything and drove like fine...soo was wondering if any know what the problem is.. thanks ps motor is a b18cR

silver_screen
12-10-2007, 07:06 PM
it maybe the problem, it may not.. my civic doesnt even have filters lol

my 180 ran a CAI under the front bumper, and i didnt have any problems with water.. hopefully ur headgasket is still sweet. im sure they wouldve found something thou when it got serviced..but thing is.. air enterin the intake wont see ur oil...
too water in ur intake = hydraulic lock.
water in oil = headgasket

i doubt its ur intake

eLs6uep
12-10-2007, 07:13 PM
True but its i dont seem too be losing any coolant...but i was told that i was blowing blue smoke out my exhaust.....and wen i checked my oil before i drove in the rain it was fine only till it started raining it got milky..

silver_screen
12-10-2007, 07:17 PM
losing coolant means nothing. i build engines for a living. i see this shit every single day of my life.

U dont have to lots lose coolant for problems. My boss recently hydra locked his car.. he went 4wdriving without a snorkel and filled the motor with water.

next day i had a look @ it.. almost no water in the oil. and thats with the engine FULL of water, unlike urs which wouldnt have had much water in the intake if any at all.

u might be losing coolant and u just dont know it ;) dont forget the rad will draw water from the resivoir if it gets too low ( it creates a vacuum inside the radiator which then causes the radiator cap to open allowing water to enter via resivoir)

omgzilla
13-10-2007, 12:12 PM
The only way you would be able to get water in your oil is if you get water in through your oil cap (if left off or loose - even still you'd have to be very unlucky to get water into the filler location with the bonnet down... you'd also hear the crankcase venting if the cap was left off or loose) or if your head gasket is damaged.

Water getting into the intake will only cause hydraulic lock as silver_screen mentioned. The water won't make it into your oil sump etc.

I'd get it looked at as soon as possible. You don't want to keep driving it with a busted head gasket! Not only will you be causing damage the motors' internals you risk overheating and warping/cracking the head.

Any reputable mechanic should have a combustion gas tester. The car is run breifly then shut off, the radiator cap is opened and the tester is used to test the vapour coming out of the radiator for signs of combustion gases (Carbon Dioxide etc). If combustion gas is present - time to take off the head and inspect damages!

aaronng
13-10-2007, 05:43 PM
If you sucked in water through the CAI, the water would be in the combustion chamber and not in the sump. If it did get from the combustion chamber into the sump, your piston rings must have been having parties all night long and are very loose by now.

DLO01
13-10-2007, 07:38 PM
What about water getting up the intake and in the PCV system (intake arm to Rocker cover) ?

It is possible, but I would not think that much water would enter.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Temp/accord_pcv_657b.gif

omgzilla
13-10-2007, 07:53 PM
I highly doubt that water wouldn't get in through the PCV system. If you look closely the air is being drawn out of the sump via inlet vacuum. As air is being drawn up the crankcase vent pipe, I couldn't see how water could overcome the vacuum and pass down the vent pipe.

Even if the water somehow managed to get in there it would take forever to get the amount of water into the sump, needed to turn the oil to the milky colour.

Not a bad point though DLO01. Good thinking!

aaronng
13-10-2007, 08:16 PM
DL001 meant that the water was sucked in through the intake of the PCV system. But, the intake of the PCV system shouldn't suck in that much water in 1 go.

nigs
13-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Rings.....
What rings?!

omgzilla
14-10-2007, 09:14 AM
DL001 meant that the water was sucked in through the intake of the PCV system. But, the intake of the PCV system shouldn't suck in that much water in 1 go.

Ahh, silly me. Even still - the positioning of the breather line 'nipple' is near the top of the intake pipe. The water would have to be splashed/sucked in pretty hard to almost 'defy gravity' to manage to make it up and into the breather line hole.

Still - there's every possibility of this actually occurring.

eLs6uep: Any updates?

eLs6uep
14-10-2007, 07:53 PM
I got a compression test done today and it was all sweet all 4 cylinders read 200psi..
notice that im burning alot of oil as well and blowing white/blue smoke..which from what i know is oil and coolant. never had an overheating problem though.
checked my oil catch can today and it was filled with milky water/oil..soo im a bit stumped atm dunno whats wrong..
thinking of changing headgasket but was told it was not it so yea any other ideas what it could be?
thanks els6uep

aaronng
14-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Your PCV valve might be worn. Change that as it is cheap and simple.

Do a leakdown test to confirm 100% that the headgasket has failed before you change it.

bennjamin
14-10-2007, 09:40 PM
a common thing on pretty much all hondas is the PCV - its in the book to change /test it every 40k but ive never seen anyone replace it. A working/new one prevents excess oil consumption by stopping oil vapour blowby into the inlet manifold

DLO01
14-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Exactly. Making sure you have a properly working PCV system is always overlooked by people.

yah mum
15-10-2007, 10:10 PM
or just get a new car :)

aaronng
15-10-2007, 10:22 PM
or just get a new car :)

PCV < new car.

Oh and your new car will eventually have the same problem.

yah mum
17-10-2007, 06:53 PM
lol then buy another new car after

aaronng
17-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Stop posting rubbish up when people are asking for help. I'll have to delete them if you keep doing it. ;)

Limbo
21-10-2007, 12:39 PM
I agree the PCV system would have nominal water getting into the system to make you have water in you sump. Any nominal water would be evaporated and released thru the PCV system, not enough to collect in the sump. The only way i see you getting water in your sump is a leak in head gasket leaking coolant to the oil. As you noted that you are burning coolant than it would tend to suggest that you have a headgasket leak. But since you got it pressure tested i'm alittle confused.

aaronng
21-10-2007, 12:45 PM
I agree the PCV system would have nominal water getting into the system to make you have water in you sump. Any nominal water would be evaporated and released thru the PCV system, not enough to collect in the sump. The only way i see you getting water in your sump is a leak in head gasket leaking coolant to the oil. As you noted that you are burning coolant than it would tend to suggest that you have a headgasket leak. But since you got it pressure tested i'm alittle confused.

Read his first post.

Limbo
21-10-2007, 11:49 PM
I did, it says he was wondering where he might get water from. If you look at post #12 he says he's had a compression test also and that has been fine. THat's why i'm confused where its coming from

aaronng
22-10-2007, 01:07 AM
I did, it says he was wondering where he might get water from. If you look at post #12 he says he's had a compression test also and that has been fine. THat's why i'm confused where its coming from

I think it's more from the PCV intake.

spanks
22-10-2007, 02:24 AM
losing coolant means nothing. i build engines for a living. i see this shit every single day of my life.

U dont have to lots lose coolant for problems. My boss recently hydra locked his car.. he went 4wdriving without a snorkel and filled the motor with water.

next day i had a look @ it.. almost no water in the oil. and thats with the engine FULL of water, unlike urs which wouldnt have had much water in the intake if any at all.

u might be losing coolant and u just dont know it ;) dont forget the rad will draw water from the resivoir if it gets too low ( it creates a vacuum inside the radiator which then causes the radiator cap to open allowing water to enter via resivoir)

Perhaps i have read this wrong,but when you hydraulic an engine,the chambers are full of liquid that cannot be compressed,not the crankcase.
There will be SOME water in the sump,but only cause it has proberbly bent a rod or broken rings.

Maybe something constructive like pressure testing the cooling system,leakdown test for starters would be better.

Sure am glad i build my engines myself.