PDA

View Full Version : Letting engine cool down before turning off after driving hard!

^__^ SM ^__^
12-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Hi everyone,

The title says it all. What does everyone think?

After driving hard (ie. constant hard accelerating and hard braking), is it better for the car (in my case a Euro) to let the engine idle for a while before turning off the engine or doesn't it make a difference.

Thanks in advance.

EUR003act
12-10-2007, 07:33 PM
if youve been smashing it hard ike a bitch, the best thing to do is for say the last 5km of driving take it nice and easy, this will allow cool air to flow over the radiator and help it cool down... leaving it idleing while parked can increase the engine temp as theres no air flowing over it... if you have to park it and youve been absolutely throttling it, i leave my bonnet up so all the heat can escape. the engine bay temperature actually rises after stopping the car... opening the bonnet stops this

^__^ SM ^__^
12-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Yup.. just ran out and did it.. thanks.. hope my battery or HID doesn't get stolen :p

dc2dc2dc2
12-10-2007, 09:02 PM
honestly i don't think it makes any difference. its not like we're all running F1 cars.

xenonkuraz
12-10-2007, 11:15 PM
If you've ever attended some high-powered races, you'll notice that after exiting the course (or after passing the checkered flag) they like to do a few cool down laps, where they cruise along nice and slow.

aaronng
12-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Opening the bonnet won't do much. What removes heat is the coolant and radiator. Like what EUR003act said, just drive normally for the last 5 minutes to cool down. I'd be more worried about your brakes than your engine too.

fatboyz39
13-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Don't let it sit, best is to drive around to cool down. Letting it sit will take longer to cool down.

mrwillz
13-10-2007, 03:11 PM
If you've ever attended some high-powered races, you'll notice that after exiting the course (or after passing the checkered flag) they like to do a few cool down laps, where they cruise along nice and slow.

also to add
the brakes are super hot and the cooldown laps help remove heat. putting up the handbraake after a hard run will ruin the brake discs

dc2dc2dc2
13-10-2007, 03:21 PM
i saw mrwillz ripping handbrake drifts in EM1 after he finished a day at the track.

mrwillz
13-10-2007, 03:33 PM
ass drift ftw
kill all my brakes
yes tai..