PDA

View Full Version : Annoying - Can't search 3 letters or Less!

preludacris
13-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Hey, i've always found this restriction to be rather annoying, and in my opinion even more so because its a CAR forum.

EGR, LSD, HID, K24, dc2,dc5, em1, eg6 etc etc.

I am aware these terms can be paired with other words and put inside quotations marks with other words eg. "EGR Valve" but yeah, its still annoying alot of the time.

Was just wondering if this could be altered by the moderators? or is the restriction put in place for a reason.?

joe282828
13-10-2007, 06:44 PM
don't quote me on this but I think it has to do with the software that this forum (and many others) runs off.

someone more technically minded could probably answer that better...

krogoth
13-10-2007, 07:23 PM
lol searchhhhhhhhhhhhhh

this has been covered heaps b4

just put a star on the end

eg, LSD*

shood work

Stoosh
17-10-2007, 07:01 PM
don't quote me on this but I think it has to do with the software that this forum (and many others) runs off.

someone more technically minded could probably answer that better...

Yes, vBulletin has a option to restrict search characters (it's to minimise the processes of search (to make faster)) however the option is editable, so its up to wyn if he wants to change it

dsp26
17-10-2007, 07:31 PM
lol searchhhhhhhhhhhhhh

this has been covered heaps b4

just put a star on the end

eg, LSD*

shood work

**EDIT**
nevermind... works now :D

wynode
18-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Yes, vBulletin has a option to restrict search characters (it's to minimise the processes of search (to make faster)) however the option is editable, so its up to wyn if he wants to change it
We're using fulltext search which is server side (ie I can't change it). The less letters you have the larger your search index is also (searching is what does put a lot of strain on the server).

But yeah....use the '*' wild card after the 3rd letter.

preludacris
19-10-2007, 03:05 PM
yep cool , that lil tip has come in handy.

thx guys. :)

Stoosh
19-10-2007, 07:23 PM
The less letters you have the larger your search index is also (searching is what does put a lot of strain on the server).

(it's to minimise the processes of search (to make faster)

Yea, thats what i said hehehe

wynode
22-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Yea, thats what i said hehehe
Ahhh OK.....I meant to emphasis the latter part of your previous reply......and that's that the min chars limit is restricted by the host since we are not using vB's search index.