PDA

View Full Version : fibreglassing

omgitsmatt
13-10-2007, 07:12 PM
hey guys,
just a few questions, i have a eg and i want to make a fibreglass console ie where the hand brake is and the gears, i know the easiest way to do it is to take the actual console out and use it as a guide but my question is would i make the mould over the top of the console or under ( like in the the console ) and if anyone could tell me how to make it up aswell
thanks guys

Red_EG4
13-10-2007, 10:21 PM
well, my take on this is that you want to make a replacement fibre glass item for you centre console, is that right?
if so, my opinion is that you should take the original console (will be used as a 'plug') out and make a mould off it. The Plug is used to base the mould around. You would need to make two pieces to the mould, one off the underside of the plug and one off the top side of the plug, when constructing the actual product the fibreglass would be layed into the middle of these halves and then the moulds would be pushed together.

blk_shadow
15-10-2007, 11:35 PM
that's correct, you have to make two half molds and then joined together before pouring in the resin.
you can vac-form the original console to make the mold. but can't be use for long term tho.

just out of curiosity, why do you want fiberglass? its heavier. unless its custom design. plastic is more durable.

omgitsmatt
16-10-2007, 04:07 PM
well im gonna wire up some neons so i want the switches to be in the console, and i want a drink holder too

blk_shadow
16-10-2007, 04:09 PM
if u're gonna switch on the neon all the time, just be cautios of the way of fiberglassing it and installing the neon, they can warp sometimes cos of heat.

amurray
16-10-2007, 08:34 PM
easy way to do it man.. lay masking tape over the hole surface u will be working on.. and alittle extra for spilling lol.. then lay some alfoil over large arers and tape down.. glass over that to get the mold of what it will sit on.. then cut it to the shape and build up off it.. if u dont kno what your doing with fiberglass.. try making som molds of somthing in your house.. EG.. a tissue box.. and put a cup holder on it lol... just to get used to what is going to happen when u glass

omgitsmatt
16-10-2007, 08:59 PM
if u're gonna switch on the neon all the time, just be cautios of the way of fiberglassing it and installing the neon, they can warp sometimes cos of heat.

sorry what i meant was im gonna have neons under the foot wells and under seats and some more but i want the switches to be moulded/fitted in the console rather then having them sticking out if that makes sense

blk_shadow
16-10-2007, 11:13 PM
sorry what i meant was im gonna have neons under the foot wells and under seats and some more but i want the switches to be moulded/fitted in the console rather then having them sticking out if that makes sense

ah I see. that's what u meant.

Fo55il
17-10-2007, 09:54 PM
bro y dun u just cut out switches ? if u do it properly u can have a really nice finish to it.

blk_shadow
18-10-2007, 08:04 AM
bro y dun u just cut out switches ? if u do it properly u can have a really nice finish to it.

thing is, if you want to sell the car, and take out the switches, there will be holes in it

Fo55il
18-10-2007, 09:12 AM
dats tru but buying a new console would be less of a hassle.

if u use the original console as a base for the fibreglass one then its going to be slightly bigger than the original. n theres not lots of room around that area.

u could look around n get a jdm console, which has cup holders.

good luck anywyas

let us kno your plans

blk_shadow
18-10-2007, 10:00 AM
dats tru but buying a new console would be less of a hassle.

if u use the original console as a base for the fibreglass one then its going to be slightly bigger than the original. n theres not lots of room around that area.

u could look around n get a jdm console, which has cup holders.

good luck anywyas

let us kno your plans

YEAH, i LIKE OEM MATERIAL BETTER AS WELL