PDA

View Full Version : Basic System Recommendations.

Red_EG4
14-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Ok I was hoping you audio nuts would be able to give me some quick suggestions for a simple set up to go into my EG civic.
I am only looking for
A Head Unit, CD/MP3/iPod?
(2x) 6" for the front.
(2x) 6x9" for the rear.
My budget is around $600 and I am not aiming for an amazing set up. I would just like reasonable sound quality throughout the speakers, and a head unit that doesn't look too out of place.
Open to all suggestions....

sitta
14-10-2007, 03:45 PM
i dont have any reccomendation for headunit but for the speakers i reccomend jaycar precision response speakers

6" split cost 139
6.5" split cost 149
6x9 coxt 139

so all the speakers you are looking at around $300 with cables, you still have 300 for the head unit. if you want also stick a small 4 ch amplifier, a jaycar 4x50watt amp cost 199

I highly recomend the jaycar speaker since they are as good or even better as speakers 2 or3 times their price

amurray
14-10-2007, 05:03 PM
honestly man, i would get a decent headunit 400 - 500, eg. Alpine, then use that on standard speakers.. u will notice a massive increase in quality.. then save for 2 sets of 6.5" splits and a 4 channel amp i just started sticking 8 sets of splits in my car man.. splits are the way to go

Red_EG4
14-10-2007, 10:00 PM
honestly man, i would get a decent headunit 400 - 500, eg. Alpine, then use that on standard speakers.. u will notice a massive increase in quality.. then save for 2 sets of 6.5" splits and a 4 channel amp i just started sticking 8 sets of splits in my car man.. splits are the way to go
That would be all nice if I had a set of stock front speakers, thanks for the suggestion though. I really can't justify 3-400 bucks for a head unit when my mates have got head units <200 bucks which give the level of quality I am looking for. I understand that cost usually equals quality, but at the moment I am not too fussed about the Head unit as Im sure I'll decide to upgrade when I start earning more money.

i dont have any reccomendation for headunit but for the speakers i reccomend jaycar precision response speakers

6" split cost 139
6.5" split cost 149
6x9 coxt 139

so all the speakers you are looking at around $300 with cables, you still have 300 for the head unit. if you want also stick a small 4 ch amplifier, a jaycar 4x50watt amp cost 199

I highly recomend the jaycar speaker since they are as good or even better as speakers 2 or3 times their price
I have been told this also, but I am torn between opinions as my teacher at school who is an electrician by trade and fairly enthusiastic about audio systems has told me that I should stay away from Jaycar speakers. Then on the other hand my mate and now you have recommended them.
Is an amp really necessary when running the splits? because my budget is very limited, (birthday present from my folks.) What kinda cables am I looking at also?

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies.

sitta
15-10-2007, 06:09 PM
i guess if you are not going to use a sub you wouldnt need an amp. get a split at the front and a 6x9 at the rear. if your total budget is $600 than i would recomend getting some fancy brand like focal, hertz, mb quart, rockford, etc

check out focalaustralia.com.au, their a1 range is quite good and is perfect for running off standard head unit. Cable doesnt really matter unless you are a crazy audio person, normal speaker cables will be good. You can also check out this website www.mobileelectronics.com.au and go to the forum, you can find good audio bargains in the forsale section

You are going for a front stage sound therefore you need a good split, and a decent rear speakers. Rear speakers are only for rear fill, for your passengers to listen to. if you have the budget get focal 165A1 and jaycar response 6x9

If you want a sub im selling a 12" kicker ex sub with ported box inperfect working condition :)

EuroDude
15-10-2007, 06:49 PM
If you are not using Amplifiers, you need to get speakers that have low wattage (50wRMS or less) and high Sensitivity.

If you install 150w speakers that run directly off the Head Unit, they will perform badly and give out very little bass.

Try to avoid the cheap sony/pioneer stuff (they tend to be overpriced and underperformers), jaycar speakers are good value, but if you want decent sound quality, spend a bit more and go for an American/European brand like JL Audio, Boston Acoustics, MB Quartz, Focal, etc..

Red_EG4
15-10-2007, 07:29 PM
thanks for the info guys.
Im looking at some alpine type-s gear.

EuroDude
15-10-2007, 07:39 PM
^ yeah 50wRMS and 92dB should be fine running off a decent deck

Red_EG4
15-10-2007, 09:23 PM
its also an alpine deck, This bad boy;
http://www.alpine.com.au/products/images/normal/CDE-9873RB.jpg
http://www.alpine.com.au/products/product.asp?modelID=293

EuroDude
15-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Yeh not fussed about alpine hu's, prefer blaupunkt head units like the Memphis MP66

http://www.blaupunkt.com/au/images_produkt/7646530310_21762_LO.JPG

Rasputin
15-10-2007, 10:13 PM
You say you dont want amazing sound quality, for $600. Which is good because you can either have great sound, or a small budget, not both.
Now all you really have to decide is: What do you consider good sound?
For your money, you can either go for a clearer, crisper setup, or a louder, bassier setup. I.e.
1 Spend money on splits for the front, and chuck cheapie 6" speakers in the back to use for filler (optimal soundstage has sound coming from the front). I'd recommend Hertz hsk-165 or something like that. A second hand amp and a capable mate can work wonders here as decent fronts powered correctly could give you the bass and volume you needed anyway

2 Get the 6x9's in the back which will give more bass, and hope you can score a head unit with some kind of filtering so you can still make enough sound come from the front speakers to not have all the audio playing behind you.

That being said i'm sure you'll be happy with either option. Just keep in mind what you're aiming for, and don't be too scared of buying second hand to save that cash / get better gear but stay in your budget. Don't forget installation costs, wether they be full retail price or a case of beer for your mate.
For new gear, what I hear about jaycar's kevlar speakers is as good as their price. But dont buy a cheapass Head Unit, esp. if not running an amp. I can recommend the JVC G615 head unit (may have been replaced with a similar model) was ~ 250 when i bought it, and has mp3 capability as well as an input jack at the front for any ipod/discman etc you might have.

jay_vtec
15-10-2007, 11:12 PM
For Started Unless using spacers 6x9's are pretty hard to put in as the honda parcelshelving is not dead straight, i chucked in 6.5" alpine speakers ($140) Brand New 07 Range, Panasonic Headunit ($300 which is now something like $240 and its unbelievable changes colour looks mean loads of compliments for a good priced powerful headunit, so far thats $380, and you still have at least $200 for splits :)

however if your after any bass what so ever you will need 6x9's or a subbie because running my system without my subwoofer is just acoustics barly any bass also because it's running directly off the headunit....

in the end cant go wrong with Alpine or JL audio thats what i tell everyone or even JBL Or MTX From strathfield

DC5TYPER
16-10-2007, 12:38 AM
First of all is it a EG hatch or Sedan?

EG hatch
Front [6 to 6-1/2 inch]
(You have to make up spacer to fit anything over 5inch into EG Doors)
Rear [6 inch]
Most japanese brands will bolt straight into existing mount.

Sedan
Front - Same as Hatch
Rear [6x9 inch]
You should be able to get all good brands to fit inside the rear.

Pioneer will give you good value for money good sound for under $600

DEHP5950 $350 With direct Ipod connection
TSA1672S $99 each pair (6 inch)
or TSA6962E $88 (6x9s)

Then if you want to spend the rest of the money you can purchase thinker gauge wires for the speakers. EG civics have very thin crappy wires run in between the Headunit and Speakers.

Red_EG4
17-10-2007, 05:37 PM
First of all is it a EG hatch or Sedan?

EG hatch
Front [6 to 6-1/2 inch]
(You have to make up spacer to fit anything over 5inch into EG Doors)
Rear [6 inch]
Most japanese brands will bolt straight into existing mount.

Sedan
Front - Same as Hatch
Rear [6x9 inch]
You should be able to get all good brands to fit inside the rear.

Pioneer will give you good value for money good sound for under $600

DEHP5950 $350 With direct Ipod connection
TSA1672S $99 each pair (6 inch)
or TSA6962E $88 (6x9s)

Then if you want to spend the rest of the money you can purchase thinker gauge wires for the speakers. EG civics have very thin crappy wires run in between the Headunit and Speakers.
Thanks heaps for the responses everyone!
It's a hatch and I will be making a spacer for the front and a bracket to fit the rears in, I wont be cutting into the parcel shelf.

I have gone for the CDE-9873E Alpine Head Unit.
http://www.alpine.com.au/products/product.asp?modelID=292
SPE-17CS 6.5" Component 2-way speakers for the front.
http://www.alpine.com.au/products/product.asp?modelID=321
SPS-69C3 6x9" 3-way rear speakers.
http://www.alpine.com.au/products/product.asp?modelID=320

narchi
17-10-2007, 06:58 PM
If i were u i would not get the 6x9s. Honestly biggest waste of money. Buy a 2 channel amp and use the standard rear speakers off the head unit.

Good choice on headunit but with the budget u have got i would have gone JVC.

Good choice on speakers for the front but will sound 20 times better with an amp putting more power to them.

2 channel amp for around 150-$200

Factory rears running of deck.

$600 maybe a little bit more depending on amp.

will sound way better than having fronts and 6x9s of the headunit. Also leaves room to go to sub later. 6x9s and subs dont mix

Red_EG4
18-10-2007, 12:04 AM
ill look into the amp later on, dont really want a sub.