PDA

View Full Version : amplifiers in flexiglass

sitta
15-10-2007, 10:06 PM
i've seen many audio install with the amplifier under the boot with flexiglass ontop of them. Dont they overheat because of this?

EuroDude
15-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Yep, I guess they use ducting and fans to move the air over the heatsink.

AzKik-R
16-10-2007, 08:17 PM
D-Class amp's build up a lot less heat. I've never actually felt a d-class with much heat on it, even after running the subbies for a while.

amurray
16-10-2007, 08:31 PM
when we do installs with a amp that is sealed in.. theres a few we do..

#1 if it s a new digital amp it will not create much heat.. but it will create a small amount.. a few neat holes at the edges can make it look really neat and vents hot air..

#2 using a normal amp u can leave a duct or do the same and drill a near line of holes..

JaCe
16-10-2007, 08:42 PM
How about the heat from the outside like in Summer? I've had my (relatively new) Rockford amp overheat in the boot (I have a sedan)...

sitta
16-10-2007, 08:50 PM
what happen if the amp overheat? i only have a small 400w amp planning to make a custom box to fit nicely in my boot with the amp in it

AzKik-R
16-10-2007, 08:51 PM
How about the heat from the outside like in Summer? I've had my (relatively new) Rockford amp overheat in the boot (I have a sedan)...

is it a d-class?

I used to have a Toyota Starlet GT, I mounted the amp under the passenger seat, it wasn't d-class soooo I got some fans from dicksmiths or jaycar mounted them to the heatsinks and wired the power for the fans from - positive to the remote wire, and negative to the earth lead on the amp. that way the fans turn on and off with the power to the amp. :D

EuroDude
16-10-2007, 11:21 PM
what happen if the amp overheat? i only have a small 400w amp planning to make a custom box to fit nicely in my boot with the amp in it

It should cut out and go into safety mode, until the Amp cools down to a safe level again. If it has no venting at all, it would probably cut out every 5 minutes lol

If its a hot day, turn the volume/bass down so the Amp doesnt need to work as hard.