PDA

View Full Version : Alarm in 06 FD Civic

bahloo
16-10-2007, 11:08 AM
I have a FD Civic VTi-L and according to the specs, it is suppose to come with an alarm and an immobiliser. Does anyone know how I can test if the alarm actually works? I tried locking the car with the remote and then opening it with the key but that didn't trigger off the alarm. Is there any other way I can check?

Thanks in advance.

Joele
16-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Wouldn't opening it with the key disable the alarm?

Try leaving a back window open and lock the car with the remote, then reach in and unlock/open the door from the inside..

For others a question on the Vti-L alarm: Can this be purchased seperately to get installed in the Vti?

ryanc
16-10-2007, 03:43 PM
correct me if im wrong, i dont think it comes with an alarm, just an immobiliser?

Joele
16-10-2007, 03:46 PM
correct me if im wrong, i dont think it comes with an alarm, just an immobiliser?

It says in the feature comparison in the civic booklet the dealers give you that the VTi just has an immobiliser but the sport and VTi-L have an alarm also..

JaCe
16-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Yes it has an alarm for VTi-L and Sport model- notice the flashing red light?

But then also take into account that it DOES NOT ACTIVATE immediately. There's like a 20 second grace period or something according to the manual from memory. I think the light flashes at a different rate once the alarm is activated but not definitely sure on this.

If you want to test; sit inside the car, press the lock button (once only!- if you do twice, it'll deadlock the car and you can't open anyway), wait a minute or so, and then try unlocking the door and opening it. Works equally well (since it's hot now!) if you put your windows down and do it from outside the car.

Borg
16-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Wouldn't opening it with the key disable the alarm?

Try leaving a back window open and lock the car with the remote, then reach in and unlock/open the door from the inside..

For others a question on the Vti-L alarm: Can this be purchased seperately to get installed in the Vti?

Probably, but if you have a VTi and want an alarm there are plenty of better ones out there. From what I read in the manual, the alarm in the VTi-L and Sport is pretty basic.

Joele
16-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Probably, but if you have a VTi and want an alarm there are plenty of better ones out there. From what I read in the manual, the alarm in the VTi-L and Sport is pretty basic.

Any suggestions? on alarm and installer?

JaCe
16-10-2007, 08:43 PM

AFAIK the only thing it monitors is if the door is open or not so yes it is quite basic.

dmx
16-10-2007, 09:40 PM
i got quote from honda dealer around 500. at the end, i installed 2-way paging alarm system with GPS option, only 400 :)
but the thing bother me is 2seperate remote. lock the car first and put alarm on or put alarm off and unlock the car.:thumbdwn:

denot
18-10-2007, 01:15 PM
I've tried jace suggestion before... i lock the car using the remote (key) while I'm still inside the car. wait for a minute or two, open the car from the button on the door (central lock button). keep it open for a couple mins... and no sound at all... once I press the central lock button, the alarm's red light gone... =S

Joele
18-10-2007, 01:31 PM
FWIW..

I asked two Honda dealers about the Vti-L alarm put into the Vti. They said they can't do it, the only alarm you get added to a vti is a different aftermarket one, which they would be happy to do. However we all know what aftermarket costs through a dealer. Far cheaper to buy elsewhere..

JaCe
18-10-2007, 02:58 PM
I've tried jace suggestion before... i lock the car using the remote (key) while I'm still inside the car. wait for a minute or two, open the car from the button on the door (central lock button). keep it open for a couple mins... and no sound at all... once I press the central lock button, the alarm's red light gone... =S

Mine works. It's the horn which goes off.

When you say open, did you actually physically open the door?

denot
18-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Mine works. It's the horn which goes off.

When you say open, did you actually physically open the door?

well... I unlock the car using the "central lock" button (next to the windscreen buttons). and then open the door. but maybe I should try to open it from the actual lock near the door handle...

JaCe
19-10-2007, 10:26 AM
hmmm alarm should go off... how odd. If I remember tonight I will try it without attracting too much attn hopefully.

Joele
19-10-2007, 10:52 AM
well... I unlock the car using the "central lock" button (next to the windscreen buttons). and then open the door. but maybe I should try to open it from the actual lock near the door handle...

That would be a serious loophole if the central lock button disables the alarm? :eek:

I ended up booking an install for a Python upgrade alarm from jbhifi.. Hopefully it is enough to stop the junkies that walk down our street and break windows hoping to find something in my coin tray or glovebox.. They do seem to skip the cars with alarms, though a flashing LED in that case would probably be enough :cool:

denot
19-10-2007, 11:20 AM
That would be a serious loophole if the central lock button disables the alarm? :eek:

I ended up booking an install for a Python upgrade alarm from jbhifi.. Hopefully it is enough to stop the junkies that walk down our street and break windows hoping to find something in my coin tray or glovebox.. They do seem to skip the cars with alarms, though a flashing LED in that case would probably be enough :cool:

while you @ jb, dont they have "fake" camera to install on your car? :p And I will test the alarm again tonite or tomorrow morning... forgot to do it yesterday

Also, when the alarm went on... how do you turn it off? pressing the big or small button on the key?

JaCe
19-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Also, when the alarm went on... how do you turn it off? pressing the big or small button on the key?

Is that directed at me?

If so, putting the key into ignition doesn't help. You need to press UNLOCK on the key to turn off the alarm.

denot
19-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Is that directed at me?

If so, putting the key into ignition doesn't help. You need to press UNLOCK on the key to turn off the alarm.

thanks JaCE ^_^

Joele
19-10-2007, 02:42 PM
while you @ jb, dont they have "fake" camera to install on your car?

No no I got a real alarm, I just meant the LED was probably all that mattered, anyone not put off by the LED, is probably smart enough to diable the alarm anyway..

They did have a reversing camera with sensors and visor LCD screen, installed for much less than just the reversing sensors from Honda..

markCivicVti
19-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Want give us some specs/features of you upgrade kit Joele ?

How much did it cost you all up?

I can't find much info on the net... so might have to go into autobahn/supercheap/strathfield and see what they have and how much they'd charge for installation.

Joele
19-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Want give us some specs/features of you upgrade kit Joele ?

How much did it cost you all up?

I can't find much info on the net... so might have to go into autobahn/supercheap/strathfield and see what they have and how much they'd charge for installation.

The unit is a Python upgrade 427PR it uses our factory OEM remotes, protects all entry points and has an adjustable shock sensor.. JB HiFi tickets it at $267 + install (about $130).. When you haggle they should do $350 installed, no problem, if you get it under that your doing well :thumbsup:

markCivicVti
19-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Great info Joele, thanks mate!

cracker
19-10-2007, 11:07 PM
fellas i got a vti-l and its back window got smashed and no alarm went off so i dunno what u boys talkin about...?

JaCe
20-10-2007, 01:33 AM
fellas i got a vti-l and its back window got smashed and no alarm went off so i dunno what u boys talkin about...?

There's no motion sensor or anything... but damn, what happened with your car? Hope insurance covered everything.

cracker
20-10-2007, 03:45 PM
hahaha my brothers laptop and his friends lap top and both of their wallets were stolen and insurance didnt do anything but obrian came to my house and made a new window the NEXT DAY so thats pretty good

denot
23-10-2007, 09:54 AM
yeah the alarm is only for doors, no motion sensor even on the sports...

bahloo
23-10-2007, 10:33 AM

I tried unlocking the car both ways, with the central locking switch and the actual lock and in both cases, the alarm did not sound. Is there something else I should be doing?

Stubbsalicious
23-10-2007, 01:35 PM
I tested my VTi-L out the other day. If u lock the car and then wait a minute and open the door with the lock near the handle and open the door the alarm goes off. Furthermore, once the security system is activated, it actually deacvtivated the emergency lock button. So that was my experience.

drunkntigr
23-10-2007, 03:16 PM
hijacking the thread, does anybody have any recommendations of alarms for the new civic? i'm sure there has to be one specific alarm that is good value and reliable, and one place that will do it where they won't jack you off.

markCivicVti
23-10-2007, 03:22 PM
hijacking the thread, does anybody have any recommendations of alarms for the new civic? i'm sure there has to be one specific alarm that is good value and reliable, and one place that will do it where they won't jack you off.

I asked the same a page ago:
Joele said:
The unit is a Python upgrade 427PR it uses our factory OEM remotes, protects all entry points and has an adjustable shock sensor.. JB HiFi tickets it at $267 + install (about $130).. When you haggle they should do $350 installed, no problem, if you get it under that your doing well

bahloo
24-10-2007, 09:56 AM
I tested my VTi-L out the other day. If u lock the car and then wait a minute and open the door with the lock near the handle and open the door the alarm goes off. Furthermore, once the security system is activated, it actually deacvtivated the emergency lock button. So that was my experience.

Thanks for the hint. I tried it again and this time waited till the red light went from a quick interval to a slow interval. The alarm sounded this time.

denot
24-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the hint. I tried it again and this time waited till the red light went from a quick interval to a slow interval. The alarm sounded this time.

how long does it takes? what happened if you close the door and lock it from inside again before the alarm goes off? I still havent be able to try it... :(

bahloo
24-10-2007, 10:42 AM
how long does it takes? what happened if you close the door and lock it from inside again before the alarm goes off? I still havent be able to try it... :(

You have to wait about a minute for the red light to start blinking slowly. I guess if you do it while the red light is still blinking quickly, the alarm will not activate at all.

JaCe
25-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Back on topic for the VTi-L alarm..

I tried it myself today in the carpark (and got some o_O looks!)... basically you press lock once on the remote, wait until red light stops flashing fast (there'll be a long pause after about 20 seconds) before it starts flashing slowly. Then, unlock the doors using the central locking switch, and the alarm goes off.

denot
26-10-2007, 10:42 AM

I tried it myself today in the carpark (and got some o_O looks!)... basically you press lock once on the remote, wait until red light stops flashing fast (there'll be a long pause after about 20 seconds) before it starts flashing slowly. Then, unlock the doors using the central locking switch, and the alarm goes off.

JaCE, did you unlock the door straight away and the alarm goes off straight away after you unlock or open it?

JaCe
26-10-2007, 02:06 PM
JaCE, did you unlock the door straight away and the alarm goes off straight away after you unlock or open it?

Hmm... memory going bad but I recall not having the door physically open- just pressing the Central Locking Unlock switch on the driver's side once the alarm was activated.

aswanderers
01-11-2007, 04:53 AM

ya you need to wait for 20 second before the car alarm is armed... and the alarm is actually the horn... keep your front window open and open the door from inside after 20 second will activate the alarm.. haha or the horn heeee...