PDA

View Full Version : rain repellent on windscreen - do you use it?

eurofan
17-10-2007, 10:37 AM
sorry if this has been discussed before.

do you use any rain repellent? any preferred brands? Rain-X, etc.

any idea what the brand new euros have on their windscreens? water used to just roll off when the car was new but there's some streaking now.

thanks

traumatized
17-10-2007, 11:23 AM
i use rain-x works pretty well and lasts pretty long also.

if water is not repelling off your windscreen, try using glass polish and then rain-x.. this should leave the glass nice and smooth and water should repell well.

streaking may be due to your wiper blades, they may have become dry due to the the weather and needs to be replaced.

SpadeSix
17-10-2007, 01:52 PM
this one sounds convincing but i haven't tried it yet. I've asked others in the detailing/appearance forum but looks like nobody knows anything about it

http://www.burgdesign.com.au/catalog...oducts_id=1722

aaronng
17-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Yeah, like what traumatized said, you must clean your winscreen well before applying the rain repellent. If your windscreen has waterspots on it, especially on the areas that the wipers don't reach, clean them up with autoglym glass polish before you use rain X.

Oh, and I use Rain X together with Sonax washer additive (stops the skipping) and PIAA silicone wipers (keeps leaving a layer of water repellent on the winscreen so it doesn't streak even when the Rain X is gone).

aaronng
17-10-2007, 01:59 PM
this one sounds convincing but i haven't tried it yet. I've asked others in the detailing/appearance forum but looks like nobody knows anything about it

http://www.burgdesign.com.au/catalog...oducts_id=1722

You can always be the first. Just remember to clean your winscreen well before applying. Otherwise you risk wasting the $35.

eurofan
17-10-2007, 02:13 PM
thanks for your feedback :thumbsup:

TRaNz
17-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Yeah Rain-X user here, love it mate, works realli well and lasts too. I tend to put it one when after i wash the car. ( i dont wash the car often :p )
Its cool to see how the water just runs off the windscreen, sometimes i dont bother to use the wipers....hehehe

NeoNode
17-10-2007, 06:30 PM
If you can find Aquapel, I also heard it's pretty good stuff.

EuroDude
17-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Anyone use the Rain-X wiper blades?

Have a look at the clip
http://www.rainx.com/offer/

aaronng
17-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Do the Rain X ones fit your 06?

EuroDude
17-10-2007, 11:45 PM
^ I doubt it, they look like they may fit 03-05 though

king9
18-10-2007, 12:11 AM
where to buy rainx in melb?

aaronng
18-10-2007, 07:32 AM
Repco, autobarn, supercheapauto. Get the one for exterior, not interior windows.

tony1234
18-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Just bought some RainX.Do you have to reapply it every time you wash your car?How long does it last between applications?

aaronng
18-10-2007, 08:02 AM
It should last 2-3 months, depending on how clean your windscreen is when you apply, as well as how much you use your wipers and windscreen washer. Do you use windscreen washer additive? If you need to use your wipers, it might skip across, so spray some windscreen washer to lube it. But ideally you won't need to use your wipers after applying RainX.

tony1234
18-10-2007, 08:11 AM
It should last 2-3 months, depending on how clean your windscreen is when you apply, as well as how much you use your wipers and windscreen washer. Do you use windscreen washer additive? If you need to use your wipers, it might skip across, so spray some windscreen washer to lube it. But ideally you won't need to use your wipers after applying RainX.
Yeah i use Sonax although i find it seems to be a bit"soapy".I think next time i'll halve the dosage and see how that goes.Thanks Aaron.

aaronng
18-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Yeah i use Sonax although i find it seems to be a bit"soapy".I think next time i'll halve the dosage and see how that goes.Thanks Aaron.

Yeah, that's what I do, halve the dosage.

traumatized
18-10-2007, 11:16 AM
is Sonax safe on paint? looking for new washer additive and seeing how i have a luxury euro the HID washer sprays the headlights and gets all over the paint around the headlights.

aaronng
18-10-2007, 11:41 AM
is Sonax safe on paint? looking for new washer additive and seeing how i have a luxury euro the HID washer sprays the headlights and gets all over the paint around the headlights.

Yup, it's safe. Just wax your paint regularly as most glass cleaner sprays and some washer additives can strip wax off your paint.

traumatized
18-10-2007, 11:43 AM
cheers aaron.

big jim
18-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Aaronng where do you get the piaa wipers from and also where can I purchase pollen filter from besides honda.

aaronng
18-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Aaronng where do you get the piaa wipers from and also where can I purchase pollen filter from besides honda.

I got my PIAA wipers from overseas as I couldn't find them here locally. You could try a shop that sells JDM bling like air fresheners and stuff. They should be able to order it in for your. I paid the equivalent of AU$36 for mine and brought them over with me when I came back from overseas. You need size "82" and size "5" silicone refills.

As for pollen filter, I just use the ones from cabinfilter.net or from ebay. You can also PM destrukshn to get the OEM Honda pollen filters.

corn_flakes
21-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Yeah, like what traumatized said, you must clean your winscreen well before applying the rain repellent. If your windscreen has waterspots on it, especially on the areas that the wipers don't reach, clean them up with autoglym glass polish before you use rain X.

Oh, and I use Rain X together with Sonax washer additive (stops the skipping) and PIAA silicone wipers (keeps leaving a layer of water repellent on the winscreen so it doesn't streak even when the Rain X is gone).

where do u get this autoglym glass polish from? expensive? easy to use? :)

aaronng
21-10-2007, 11:03 PM
where do u get this autoglym glass polish from? expensive? easy to use? :)

Autobarn, I think it's about $18-25. Apply on with a foam or cotton pad, work it in and then wipe off with a clean cotton cloth. After you are done, reapply RainX. Oh and don't get the glass polish on the paint or rubber/plastic trim around the windscreen.