PDA

View Full Version : EK1 Boot shave

1996ek1
17-10-2007, 10:26 PM
This probably isnt the right section, so if there is a more appropriate section, please move it....

What yous recon about a boot shave? Think its worth the effort ?
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x300/g488/civic42.jpg

Would also get rid of that rear wiper while im there....

To look like this
http://file029b.bebo.com/11/large/2007/01/18/13/790052556a3250106769b581429718l.jpg

As my car is going into the workshop for engine conversion, thought i might as well do that while its there :p

Zdster
17-10-2007, 11:02 PM
To do it properly there is a fair amount of work (ie time/expense) involved. Personally I dont like the look either, but if you like it and have time/money then I say go for it.

1996ek1
17-10-2007, 11:13 PM
To do it properly there is a fair amount of work (ie time/expense) involved. Personally I dont like the look either, but if you like it and have time/money then I say go for it.

Hmmm expense?

I, correct if im wrong, thought you bend a piece of metal to the correct shape + size, then weld it on, and sand it all back so its smooth, and respray boot?

I would have all the tools and metal at the workshop, are there many other costs if i do it myself?

steve88
17-10-2007, 11:38 PM
im planning on doing it =) wasnt sure exactly how. if you stick a peice of metal over it you cant sand metal to be flush with the boot. i was thinking of making it to fit the where license plate is and suspend it up, fill in gap with mould and sand it back.

1996ek1
17-10-2007, 11:44 PM
im planning on doing it =) wasnt sure exactly how. if you stick a peice of metal over it you cant sand metal to be flush with the boot. i was thinking of making it to fit the where license plate is and suspend it up, fill in gap with mould and sand it back.

Na i meant pull the black thing out, so there is a big hole, then weld it from the front and back, and sand down the front, making it flush with the surrounding area

Zdster
17-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Hmmm expense?

I, correct if im wrong, thought you bend a piece of metal to the correct shape + size, then weld it on, and sand it all back so its smooth, and respray boot?

I would have all the tools and metal at the workshop, are there many other costs if i do it myself?

For most that is not a cheap easy process. Getting the right shape of metal and welding it plus respraying the whole hatch is for most a costly exercise.

steve88
18-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Na i meant pull the black thing out, so there is a big hole, then weld it from the front and back, and sand down the front, making it flush with the surrounding area
filling it up with weld is pretty pricey. but it seems to be the only way. you said you got a workshop, you a panelbeater or something mate?

xtercii
18-10-2007, 01:13 PM
I think it looks crap and funny.

Rivic
18-10-2007, 07:53 PM
ive just currently finished shaving my boot on my eh.. all u do is grind out a piece of metal of a scrab bonnet etc, take out your black plastic surround and bend and weld the piece into place, grind back your welds smooth over with some bog, sand, prime and paint! ;)
if uve got any questions about anyhitng give us a pm, im also shaving my door handles if thats any help if your wondering about doin it...

mrwillz
18-10-2007, 08:33 PM
do it if u really like it
sheeesh

1996ek1
18-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Na, no pannel beater, at the school workshop, car is my automotive HSC project.

So will have metal and welding stuff their....

So that kinda means free materials :D

steve88
18-10-2007, 11:39 PM
hahaha lucky bastard! i dont have that kinda stuff handy when i wanna shave my boot :(

beeza
19-10-2007, 09:34 AM
It's Ok I guess if you can do it cheap.Just dont put in tail lights like in that pic.Ewwww...

steve88
19-10-2007, 10:29 AM
imo it'd only look good on a dark car (like urs and mine, we got same car :)) where it looks sleek. otherwise it looks like an eyesore

beeza
19-10-2007, 10:37 AM
^^ Agreed :)

Fo55il
19-10-2007, 09:37 PM
damn i was thinkin od doin it on my eh - BUT
i think cops would bust my nuts for not havin reverseing lights. ...

1996ek1
20-10-2007, 11:17 AM
It's Ok I guess if you can do it cheap.Just dont put in tail lights like in that pic.Ewwww...

I wouldnt think of it.....

Only things i like about that car are the shaved boot, the colour, and the window tint (cos i got none) :(

And yea, its dark green so would look abit better, but i plan on changing it eventually to black! But eventually......

steve88
20-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Keep it green, do some tinted tail lights, Type R grill and you got steve88mobile ;) I plan on keeping mine green. Green n black will be my colour scheme, yummy.
Although my mate has red car, red and black = way sexier :(
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/casmira/Photo-0081.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/casmira/stephanos-2.jpg

(rims are currently being spraypainted black, litrelly right now hahha)

1996ek1
20-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Already got the CTR grill, was thinking of tinting my lights before, but i thought i might stuff them up? because i dont like it too dark, and i dont want it to look dull or w/e.

But i was thinking of getting the 99+ taillights later on, taping off the white section, spray the red section, then take off the tape. So the red is tinted, white is white. But probably too much effort and i wont do that, haha (was just a thought)

steve88
20-10-2007, 05:20 PM
its really hard 2 tint them properly. when u apply tint it dulls ur tail lights, so you get a strong hand and scratch X and keep applying until its polished :). 99-00 tail lights are rare if not a rip off ($150-$200 at least!) and it would look a bit wierd leaving indicator/reverse clear because its frosted out, and imo only would look hot if it was clear.

i did the opposite, i did a light tint on my break lights (EK9 style top n bottom break light) and did indicator/reverse DARKER. :) you cant tel in that photo because i hadnt polished the right side yet.

tint is hard again because it dries much darker than it looks wet, i redid my tail lights (cause of too much tint or whatever) twice before third time getting them perfect (no dust, shine perfect, no drips etc.) so its a patience thing :p but end result is sex spec ;)

1996ek1
20-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Lol great, making me want to tint them more and more...

Rivic
21-10-2007, 10:59 AM
damn i was thinkin od doin it on my eh - BUT
i think cops would bust my nuts for not havin reverseing lights. ...

keep the lights in the boot, jsut shave the numberplate..