PDA

View Full Version : Engine doesnt start smoothly???

Miz_II_Die_IV
18-10-2007, 01:40 AM
Hi guys,
I have a 06" Lux 5AT. Just wondering, for the past few days i have started my car, and it seems that it doesnt start as smooth... What i mean by that is that, when i turn the key it doesnt start up in one go. It seems like it hitting in but takes about 2 or 3 times to actually kick in. I did my last service at 10,000. So yeah.... Do you guys have any similar problems or know any fixes.... Spark plugs, starter motor.... Its really getting to me, i dont want my car to die on me??? Battery even???

EUR003act
18-10-2007, 08:40 PM
what the hell were you doing on here at 1:40am?!?!?! :eek:

lol besides that, mine occasionally does that, like maybe once or twice every 6months... so not often, i never really thought much of it... it doesnt sound like flat battery, flat battery is fairly obvious sound (starter motor really struggles)... maybe someone else knows?

aaronng
18-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Won't be the battery unless you have left the lights on overnight or used the radio while the engine was off for over 20 minutes. When you say it takes 2 or 3 times, do you mean you start the car and it cranks but doesn't start and you have to release the key and try again 2-3 times?

petsfact
18-10-2007, 08:57 PM
nah i think what he means is he heard the starter motor crank for more than one time before the engine started up.

my car only ever start at one crank after 40000km service, then after a week or so it's back to normal, i.e. crank a few times before the engine started.

ENVSSS
18-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Hmm mine does that occasionally. Won’t start and then release the key, wait a few seconds and usually starts the second try. However it nearly seems as though it on the verge of stalling for a couple of seconds once it kicks over.

aaronng
18-10-2007, 09:08 PM
nah i think what he means is he heard the starter motor crank for more than one time before the engine started up.

my car only ever start at one crank after 40000km service, then after a week or so it's back to normal, i.e. crank a few times before the engine started.

Mine takes 3 cranks before it starts. Never had it start with only 1 cycle of cranking sound.

aaronng
18-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Hmm mine does that occasionally. Won’t start and then release the key, wait a few seconds and usually starts the second try. However it nearly seems as though it on the verge of stalling for a couple of seconds once it kicks over.

Yeah, happens to me too. We had a thread on this issue before: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22130&highlight=difficulty+starting

petsfact
18-10-2007, 10:36 PM
i always notice that engine start up with less crank after servicing, and the condition start getting worse week by week, until the next service it's alive again! :D

blk05gli
18-10-2007, 10:49 PM
mine varies with the time of day. around midday, upto 5 cranks! - my car has a mind of its own!

EuroDude
18-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Ive gotten up to 8 cranks once, the engine literally started up at like 200rpm and spluttered up to 650rpm lolz

On average, its about 3 or 4 cranks

When you turn the engine off, let it idle for a few seconds first, so there is less fuel build-up

aaronng
18-10-2007, 11:15 PM
To minimise it, just idle the car for about 10 seconds before you turn it off at the end of your journey. Starting usually gets much easier if I do this.

sodaz
19-10-2007, 07:47 AM
I've driven quite a few different Euros and they all have the same problem. I've replaced the battery on mine and it still does it every now and again. Don't really know what's causing it though.

Eddie
19-10-2007, 08:33 AM
wow,

i thought i was the only guy that has the problem.
mine does it every time. about 4 to 5 crank to start the engine.

i thought it was the battery. now i know it's a common problem

aaronng
19-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Well, the TSX guys say that it is to limit emissions coming out when starting.

EuroDude
19-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Aaron didnt you earth the alternator or engine or something, and the problem improved in your car?

aaronng
19-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Aaron didnt you earth the alternator or engine or something, and the problem improved in your car?
I also started letting my car idle for 10 seconds before turning the engine off around then. I think doing this had more effect than the grounding alone because there has been once or twice recently where I turned the engine off straight away after stopping and I did encounter the hard starting problem. Also, I am now using a 430CCA battery as well.

EuroDude
19-10-2007, 07:08 PM
So I guess its an emissions thing after all. I'm having a guess and saying its the exhaust recycling system.

aaronng
19-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Nono, the emissions thing is the engine needing about 3-4 crank cycles before it starts (older F22 Accords would start with just 1 crank cycle). The struggling to start (very low RPM that stutters up to idle speed) issue is different. It's the 2nd issue that I "solved" by letting the engine idle for 10 seconds before turning off.

EuroDude
19-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Well if you think about it, if the left over exhaust is recycled back into the cylinders during cranking, there will be nearly no oxygen in the intake, resulting in a dodgy initial startup - hence low RPM.
If you idle before turning off the engine, the exhaust wouldnt be recycled during that time, which could explain why the engine starts quicker if you idle for a moment before shutting off the engine.

blk05gli
19-10-2007, 11:10 PM
tried the 10 sec idling before switch off, hard starting problem seems to have gone away :thumbsup:

aaronng
20-10-2007, 12:18 AM
Well if you think about it, if the left over exhaust is recycled back into the cylinders during cranking, there will be nearly no oxygen in the intake, resulting in a dodgy initial startup - hence low RPM.
If you idle before turning off the engine, the exhaust wouldnt be recycled during that time, which could explain why the engine starts quicker if you idle for a moment before shutting off the engine.

What do you mean by recycled? The k24a3 engine doesn't have exhaust gas recirculation (EGR). Only the Accord and CRV's k24a1 and k24a4 have EGR.

aaronng
20-10-2007, 12:20 AM
tried the 10 sec idling before switch off, hard starting problem seems to have gone away :thumbsup:

Glad to know it works. I am guessing that the idling allows the excess fuel to burn off. When you slow down the car and fully stop, you can actually notice the RPM sitting at about 800rpm before slowly settling back down to 650rpm. So I think that the moment you stop the car with your foot off the accelerator, the electronic throttle actually keeps the throttle open more than needed for just idling, resulting in more fuel being pumped in. If you turn the engine off at this point, the excess fuel is not burnt and it just wets the cylinder/plugs. That's probably why the problem happens only during warm starts but not on cold starts in the morning.

EuroDude
22-10-2007, 06:17 PM
What do you mean by recycled? The k24a3 engine doesn't have exhaust gas recirculation (EGR). Only the Accord and CRV's k24a1 and k24a4 have EGR.

hmm u sure about that? I though all K24's had EGR :o

aaronng
22-10-2007, 06:43 PM
hmm u sure about that? I though all K24's had EGR :o
Yes, 100% sure. On the Euro, only the K20A6, which we don't get in Australia (sold in Japan and Europe) has EGR. Take off your intake manifold cover. You'll see only 1 tube inlet on the "EGR plate". That inlet is for the PCV system. On the K20A6, there are 2 tube inlets, one for PCV and the other for the EGR.

EuroDude
22-10-2007, 11:13 PM
^ I see. Must be a fuel related thing then.

Or perhaps if you turn off the engine while the iVTEC CAM gears are angled in 'high output' mode (mid-high revs), they dont get a chance to reset back to idle mode, which in turn causes a rough start up.

aaronng
23-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Or perhaps if you turn off the engine while the iVTEC CAM gears are angled in 'high output' mode (mid-high revs), they dont get a chance to reset back to idle mode, which in turn causes a rough start up.
If this was the case, EVERY Toyota out there would have the same starting problem.

EUR003act
23-10-2007, 07:30 AM
^ I see. Must be a fuel related thing then.

i dont see someone turning the engine off while revving at 6000rpm?

sprmboi
26-10-2007, 09:45 AM
i dont see someone turning the engine off while revving at 6000rpm?

LOL...
yea it happens to mine. I think if you often start and turn off the engine, eg. short 3 mins journey to shops, it will happen. The engine seems weak and i went to the mechanics they sed the battery was fine.