PDA

View Full Version : DC2R gearbox problems

sai_vang
18-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Hi guys..
i have a DC2R but somethings wrong with the gearbox.. i somehow cannot downshift from gears 3 to 2.. when u try, it just wouldnt go in.. (sometimes it does.. after abit of driving mayb 1 hour or so)
Even if the car is going at low speed it wouldnt go in.. you have to come to a complete stop in order to do the change..

another problem is that when you put the car in reverse and you clutch down again it locks the gearstick and u cannot take it out and when u clutch in the car suddenly stops.. (doesnt keep rolling back)...

Any one know what could be the problem?? please inform me..

Zilli
18-10-2007, 02:31 PM
hmmmm... in before anyone else... have you changed the gearbox oil lately? if not, slap in some fresh Honda MTF

Also, how old is your clutch? it may not be disengaging properly

sai_vang
18-10-2007, 02:44 PM
no havent change the gearbox oil.. i doubt it that the previous owner did it too.. and yea my clutch is pretty worned out... getting new clutch put in next week (cushion button)... so u recon it might be the oil too right... i might get it changed aswell... thanks for the info... by the way there is no crunching noise or nothing when u try to change gears.. its like there is something there blocking the change...

Zilli
18-10-2007, 02:54 PM
yeh well the clutches job is to fully disengage your gearsbox from the spinning motor... i dont profess to be a mechnic bu that might be preventing you from shifting, and locking the gears in

but definitely give it a fresh oil change too! let us know how you go

sai_vang
18-10-2007, 03:03 PM
yea thanks.. the mechanics that are going to put my clutch in has said that since they are taking the gearbox out they might as well check the gearbox to see what the issue is.. hopefully nothing serious....

bennjamin
18-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Also look at your shift linkage - it could be bent.
Or your engine mounts could be broken / worn.

Does the car shift into 2nd while the engine is off ?
IE it cant get in , when the car is moving and accelerating ?

sai_vang
18-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Yes it can shift up and down into all the gears properly when the engine is off..
the shift problem only occurs when u downshift while the car is moving... if u upshift from 2 -3 its perfectly ok.. all the other gears are ok too...

bennjamin
18-10-2007, 03:50 PM
perhaps your rear engine mount is busted...when it is , it gives excessive movement as the engine revs - when you down shift into 2nd the engine pitches forward too much and your shift linkage cannot engage 2nd gear correctly.

sai_vang
18-10-2007, 03:52 PM
how much does a new or second hand rear engine mount cost..??

bennjamin
18-10-2007, 03:54 PM
you could get a 2nd hand one for about $50 or so.
Go to your car , with your engine off , open teh bonnet and grab the engine around the inlet manifold , and pull/push it to teh front and back of the engine bay.
Does teh engine move excessively ? Also try this in neutral with the engine on , open the bonnet and basically rev the engine and see how much it moves in the engine bay.

sai_vang
18-10-2007, 04:19 PM
so the point of this is to see if the engine is loose right... i'll give it a try when i get home and i'll post the results back...

thanks bennjamin...

ewendc2r
31-03-2010, 09:44 PM
guys was there a result here? I have the same issue ... not quite as bad, but 2nd crunches badly and pops out of gear. suspect worn clutch, but changes fine 3/4/5 ... likely wearing out the synchros?

Lukey
31-03-2010, 09:54 PM
guys was there a result here? I have the same issue ... not quite as bad, but 2nd crunches badly and pops out of gear. suspect worn clutch, but changes fine 3/4/5 ... likely wearing out the synchros?

my guess is 2nd gear synchro

mnc
31-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Make sure you are there with the mechanic when he opens up the gearbox. If there is something wrong with the gearbox tell him to show it to you. Tell him to show you that there is evidence in damaged/worn gears, synchros etc. =]

ewendc2r
01-04-2010, 09:37 AM
All goods -- I'll do it myself over a weekend (pull apart inspect put back together to pull back out the next weekend and replace parts lol)...

OK wierdest thing though -- Today after some pretty serious shudder starting out in first, both 1/2 gears are easily selectable and stayed in gear!! So WTF .. If its the syncros or damaged gear it should be ****ed all the time. Could it be a broken puck on the clutch disc or broken pressure plate? i.e. resulting in intermittent failure?

Well -- At least droppin the gearbox will be easier than bloody replacing the rear engine mount lol. what a pita that was.

Having said all the above -- Could also be a combination of issues ie. wearing/damaged clutch, damaged / worn gearbox (it doesn't like high rpm changes from 2 to 3 on the track)

Be interested in your thoughts....

I had a bad shift a while back which I thought was my clutch disintegrating but it came good -- the cltuch pedal dropped to the ground effectively then came good about 1 second later.. bizarre. Changed MTF found a couple of little bits of metal (tiny chunks) but nothing much. Worked well for a bit then i installed engine mounts and now its a pita.. 3/4/5 are working absolutely fine!

The shudder is whats got me --- almost like there is something not balanced or contacting correctly...

Lukey
02-04-2010, 01:23 PM
clutch shudder, as in you can feel the clutch pedal pulsating on ur foot when taking off in 1st?

ewendc2r
03-04-2010, 12:35 AM
Yes exactly

Lukey
03-04-2010, 01:03 AM
we had a landcruiser come in to work with that. from memory one of the mechanics said it was a spot or something on the clutch. now i cant remember clearly if thats what he said.

pure_na
03-04-2010, 05:19 PM

the result may have been that this fag0t had a completely fcked car and then went on to sell it to someone else who had to deal with all his stupid fcking problems. the only reason the other guy didn't return the car was because this guy was a poor fat bastard and probably deserved a break. that may have been the result here :P.

to help you out,i notice a lot of people are quick to jump on the 'it's the synchros' bandwagon. i'm in no way saying i know more than them (i don't), but in my experience, it's usually the clutch. but then again...popping out of gear leads me away from the clutch..

89lude
03-04-2010, 06:38 PM
This problem sounds very familiar. When you take your clutch out, check out the pressure plate - pretty sure that itl be in pieces. Since your changing your clutch you shouldnt have a problem after that. Unless you've rooted synchros from driving around with this problem, the gearbox should be fine. Best to not drive it until you get the new clutch in.