PDA

View Full Version : '94 accord (cd5) with near/more than 200,000kms

dw3ebo0
18-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Hey guys. I'm thinking about buying a cd5 (most likely a vti/-s) and looking at the ones on the market atm.. most cd5's have nearly or have done more than 200,000kms (fair enough it's been around for while).

Just want the opinions of any cd5 owners with ~200,000kms. How is it? Is there any problems/things I should know about it? Like engine-wise, suspension-wise.. etc. Or should I just save up another year for the '98 accord vti (CG), which have less k's? Any opinions are welcome! =]

Vinnie
19-10-2007, 12:17 AM
lower kilometre cd5's do still exist. mine has just hit 150k and others have less but ide be more concerned with the condition and history of each car rather than scrutinising the exact distance its travelled. you can have cars with slightly higher k's that have been better looked after and had an easier life and are thus less likely to have probs than ones with less k's. :)

rahul
19-10-2007, 01:26 AM
i can answer that question for you... i have a 95 accord vti-s with 195k on the clock. bought the car at 155k with fairly good service history,,, it missed a couple of services

i service the car every 5k and it hasnt missed a beat. i did chage a leaking radiator but that's about it.

so as long as the car has good service history and a vehical inspection comes out ok... i'd say go for it.

you can use companies like sydney vehical check or nrma, the former is a bit cheaper.

the car's suspension would have had it a long time back.. mine's on stock and its soft a pillow! koni yellow and eibach's sitting to be installed :d

personally i like the CD5, IMO the 98 model (CG) looks like a grandpa's car with out lowering it.

Joeyboy
19-10-2007, 09:14 AM
hi matey. I have a CD5, bought it when it was 209,000, but well-maintained by the previous owner (regular oil and oil filter change, fuel filter and spark plugs changed every 50,000, timing belts changed at 200,000, radiator flush, etc).

it is now 247,000 and i must say that i am VERY IMPRESSED with its performance! Everyone that has been in the car always tell me how smooth and good it drives. I havent had a problem with it (mechanically) as of yet. The engine is still going strong, no leaks, no gray smoke, not stalling,....NOTHING!! No problems with gearbox or clutch at all...still all very smooth.

But I make sure that I keep to the regular oil and oil filter change and all the others as well.

However I have lowered springs and aftermarket shocks. so cant really comment on the stock sussy.

I guess as long as u know that its been taken cared of, then im sure that u wont regret it! Plus i prefer the look of the CD5 comapred to CG.

dw3ebo0
19-10-2007, 03:36 PM
lower kilometre cd5's do still exist. mine has just hit 150k and others have less but ide be more concerned with the condition and history of each car rather than scrutinising the exact distance its travelled. you can have cars with slightly higher k's that have been better looked after and had an easier life and are thus less likely to have probs than ones with less k's. :)

yeah true. i didn't think of that..thanks for that :). The only reason i was looking at cd's with more k's was that they were cheaper; it's going to be my first car, and yeah, don't want to spend too much (of my hard-worked haha) money.

I was just scared that if i bought a car with high k's, it might cause problems and cost even more money to fix it, and i would regret buying it. but what you said sounds right, i should look at the condition and history of the car. It's also probably going to be my 'learning' car. I already know the basic things of servicing a car, just want to learn more stuff :)

dw3ebo0
19-10-2007, 03:49 PM
so as long as the car has good service history and a vehical inspection comes out ok... i'd say go for it.

Ok =]

the car's suspension would have had it a long time back.. mine's on stock and its soft a pillow! koni yellow and eibach's sitting to be installed :d

personally i like the CD5, IMO the 98 model (CG) looks like a grandpa's car with out lowering it.

Apart from the engine, i was also worried about the suspension..since it's usually as old as the car. And from some threads (using the search function of course :)), i read a few people had weird clicking or similar noises when they go over bumps :confused:. I guess i could always buy some coilovers and DIY (they are not that difficult to install, just more money).

I'm leaning towards the cd5, cheaper, haha =]

thanks mate! :thumbsup:

dw3ebo0
19-10-2007, 03:54 PM
However I have lowered springs and aftermarket shocks. so cant really comment on the stock sussy.

I guess as long as u know that its been taken cared of, then im sure that u wont regret it! Plus i prefer the look of the CD5 comapred to CG.

Was the suspension like that when you bought it or did you change it yourself?

Joeyboy
19-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Was the suspension like that when you bought it or did you change it yourself?

i bought it with aftermarket sussy. the previous owner spent about $1000. so im sorry i really cant comment on stock! not sure what brand shocks its got on, but its definitely got Kings springs. im quite surprised that its still a sweet ride, meaning not bumpy and very smooth on highways.

dw3ebo0
20-10-2007, 12:49 AM
i bought it with aftermarket sussy. the previous owner spent about $1000. so im sorry i really cant comment on stock! not sure what brand shocks its got on, but its definitely got Kings springs. im quite surprised that its still a sweet ride, meaning not bumpy and very smooth on highways.

nah it's alright mate. sounds good! now i just gotta look for the perfect car at the perfect price! :)

KruZzN
20-10-2007, 03:20 AM
Buy my CK1 Accord yo! Its for sale but i cant post it coz i need to wait a few more days until im not a "noob" :(

Riviera
20-10-2007, 08:21 AM
i got a VTI-S
mines just over 193k-km. runs cleanly and smoothly, have had it for near 5 months now, bought it from a car yard, the yard owner owned it himself for just over 12 months.
there was 1 problem that he did not pick up, probly cause he never touched
the sound system but when i was installin my head unit i found some shorted
out wiring running to the cig lighter... the guy before must have had an incar
phone and well yea sumthings shorted, the owner got it fixed for meh and yea

no problems at all, i got auto even the gear box is fine. hehe

awesome car soundz awesome with an intake on it aswell

sound system

stock 6-1/4 depth - 42mm speakers in the front - now alpine type R's not a clean fit needed 16mm spacers, brought them out to fit nicely, magnet diameter was fine...
6x9's in the back

0-100km/h

i think comparing other ozhonda users results was around
9 to 11 seconds

dw3ebo0
21-10-2007, 12:57 AM
I went from canberra to Tempe.......
Cheers,
Duy.

I'm guessing you're viet.. coz my name is also Duy :thumbsup: haha

Buy my CK1 Accord yo! Its for sale but i cant post it coz i need to wait a few more days until im not a "noob" :(

haha that car is too cool for me! :p, just want a simple look.. nice (but not extreme hardcore) rims, lowered. thanks though mate! ;)

i rkn, i don't know enough to answer all these guy's questions to get a member status LOLL.. oh wells.. good luck with the sale bro!

dw3ebo0
21-10-2007, 01:05 AM
i got a VTI-S
mines just over 193k-km. runs cleanly and smoothly, have had it for near 5 months now......no problems at all, i got auto even the gear box is fine. hehe

awesome car soundz awesome with an intake on it aswell

thanks mate! personally i'm leaning towards a manual (i'm pretty much sick of driving auto :() but i'm re-thinking it because i'll probably share with my bro and it would be more convenient to have auto just incase my bro or my mum needs to use it for some reason. so thanks for telling me about auto cd5's :thumbsup:

Nepolian
22-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Mine has over 310ks and still going strong. Only thing i have replaced in the last year is the cv's.

j.meng87
22-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Mine's just over 200k everything stock expect for the exhaust, the engine still runs well and can reach up to 300k if look after well. CD5's are build in japan so quality wise they are top notch. Like everyone said make sure maintenance is up to date including timing belt and valve been adjusted to spec. For the suspension the noise could be due to the worn swaybar bushing. Stock suspension are soft but reasonable considering the amount of millage travel, it may due to be change. Otherwise its all:thumbsup: If you want to know more info about the car check gen5alive.com its a dedicated forum for CD5

dw3ebo0
22-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Mine has over 310ks and still going strong. Only thing i have replaced in the last year is the cv's.

WOW! That's good to KNOW! =]

make sure maintenance is up to date including timing belt and valve been adjusted to spec. For the suspension the noise could be due to the worn swaybar bushing. Stock suspension are soft but reasonable considering the amount of millage travel, it may due to be change. Otherwise its all:thumbsup: If you want to know more info about the car check gen5alive.com its a dedicated forum for CD5

Thanks guys, for all the helpful info. and opinions so far! Really appreciate it! :)

Joeyboy
23-10-2007, 09:05 AM
oh yeh, i also know someone who had a CD5 with more than 300k on the clock and he had no problems with the engine. he was driving it to work everyday.

u could also try

www.ozaccord.com - aussie based accord forum

dw3ebo0
24-10-2007, 05:37 PM
u could also try

www.ozaccord.com - aussie based accord forum

thanks mate! :thumbsup:

Gards
26-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Good thing I noticed this thread as I was just about to ask a similar question. There are indeed low kilometer examples of accords around but sometimes still have problems which have turned me off after driving them or they don't have certain features ect I want.

I have found a 97 VTI-S with 180,000 kms which is tempting but was also wondering how long I would get out of components and that has been answered in here. I should be able to expect 250,000 or more with a well maintained example which would give me conservatively speaking at least 5 years of motoring without having to consider an engine recon. I might not even have the car then. It has log books and is 7 grand neg. Obviously another major service would be coming up at 200ks.

Ideally I want a manual but again they arn't as common especially in VTI-S trim. I know the autos have an issue where upon they crap themselves. Anything to particular to look for on a high kilometer example in regards to the gearbox? Obviously I would ensure it shifts smoothly and doesnt hunt for gears or make noises but what are some tell tale signs of the auto gearbox being on the way out in accords?

It also has 18 inch rims and looks somewhat lowered. Would scrubbing problems be expected with such big rims (e.g. over bumps or on full lock) even if considering they were offset correctly ect. Guess can always change them if it's too bad.

Thanks!

simpdogg
26-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Hey Dude,

my 5th gen is sitting at 263000 and with regular service and maintenance as you would with any other car.... it hasnt missed a beat.

Sure there are things I would like to change such as the AT and standard f22b to refreshen the car and give it a new lease on life.

Keep in mind with any standard car with high K's check out the exhaust for leaks or holes in the mufflers etc.
If you do buy an auto they do have a slight kick especially if your giving it a lil this is really only between 1st and 2nd dont worry about it.

If you do end up finding a 5th gen with low k's and it happens to be auto make sure you have no leaks from the transmission.... if the seals go expect to pay over $500 just to crack the case and have it serviced
not including parts etc....

I agree with Gards in relation to the VTI-S autos are most common...
if you can find a manual score...

In the end find what you can find do the H22A transplant and your a laughing...

Regards to ride height with the 5th gen optimum ride height for these cars you are looking at a 30 - 35 mm drop, personal experience you get better handling at this height and faster cornering at this height...

Also if you do drop by 35mm make sure the exhaust is tucked up else you will scrap... hence the hole in mine... you'll need to get some custom brackets to lift it up in to the floor weld also line with heat shield at the top....

Any other questions etc pm I can go on for ages...

Cheers

dw3ebo0
27-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Ideally I want a manual but again they arn't as common especially in VTI-S trim. I know the autos have an issue where upon they crap themselves.

I know, same here! That's why I am looking at the VTi's, and not the VTi-S's. And by the way, what do you mean by "crap themselves"? Do you mean the gearboxes become sluggish?

Regards to ride height with the 5th gen optimum ride height for these cars you are looking at a 30 - 35 mm drop, personal experience you get better handling at this height and faster cornering at this height...

Also if you do drop by 35mm make sure the exhaust is tucked up else you will scrap... hence the hole in mine... you'll need to get some custom brackets to lift it up in to the floor weld also line with heat shield at the top....

Wow thanks for your advice! :thumbsup: Yeah, I was thinking about installing coilovers to lower it and give it a harder bounce in the future. That's what I am scared of, like when I drive over, for example speed bumps, the tip or the front lip will get damaged..:(

dw3ebo0
27-10-2007, 11:28 PM
I have found a 97 VTI-S with 180,000 kms which is tempting but was also wondering how long I would get out of components and that has been answered in here. I should be able to expect 250,000 or more with a well maintained example which would give me conservatively speaking at least 5 years of motoring without having to consider an engine recon. I might not even have the car then. It has log books and is 7 grand neg. Obviously another major service would be coming up at 200ks.

That's good! The best one I can find in VIC is a 94 VTi-S with 265,000kms, and that person is asking for 10 grand. :( I might as well go for the VTi's, they're about 4 grand cheaper, they got the same engine, lighter by a bit, faster, just not as much features as the VTi-S's.

Nepolian
27-10-2007, 11:49 PM
That's good! The best one I can find in VIC is a 94 VTi-S with 265,000kms, and that person is asking for 10 grand. :( I might as well go for the VTi's, they're about 4 grand cheaper, they got the same engine, lighter by a bit, faster, just not as much features as the VTi-S's.

IMO VTI'S are a bargain buy. I have seen them under 5K. The leather in the VTIS is usually carked and the diff between the VTI and VTIS after that doesnt really justify the 2-4k diff. Buy a good cheap VTI and you already have enough money to but as set of wheels, shocks etc.....under the price of an VTIS.

If you really want leather, put leather in. Doesnt cost that much these days. :)

Vinnie
28-10-2007, 12:33 AM

:eek:

as a point of reference, i paid that for mine 1.5 years ago in excellent condition with 140k's (5MT). :)

Gards
28-10-2007, 02:10 PM
I know, same here! That's why I am looking at the VTi's, and not the VTi-S's. And by the way, what do you mean by "crap themselves"? Do you mean the gearboxes become sluggish?

Wow thanks for your advice! :thumbsup: Yeah, I was thinking about installing coilovers to lower it and give it a harder bounce in the future. That's what I am scared of, like when I drive over, for example speed bumps, the tip or the front lip will get damaged..:(

Do some searching around the forum. Apparantly the Auto Transmission strainer can get clogged which damages the box requiring it to be rebuilt ect. It's a bit of a defect with these accords. Using the correct AT fluid and regular servicing should help in this regard though. I'm not saying it will happen but there seems to be many reports of it although more so in the V6 models I think... Not a cheap problem to fix.:(

IMO VTI'S are a bargain buy. I have seen them under 5K. The leather in the VTIS is usually carked and the diff between the VTI and VTIS after that doesnt really justify the 2-4k diff. Buy a good cheap VTI and you already have enough money to but as set of wheels, shocks etc.....under the price of an VTIS.

If you really want leather, put leather in. Doesnt cost that much these days. :)

But you also get climate control, not a huge deal but definatly handy and saves you fiddling with knobs periodicly to maintain a comfortable temperature. If it was just leather and nothing else yes it might not be worth some of the price premiums. Having said that I'm sure Honda know they could have easily included climate control in VTI spec considering it has things many cars don't have such as electric seat functions, sunroofs ect. Not that I havn't seen some deadset bargains on good VTI-s (auto) for the same price or less as VTI's!

Btw thanks for that info regarding lowering ect Simpdog!;) Maybe if I lowered I wouldn't go as low as 35mm although it most likely looks great.

Vinnie
28-10-2007, 03:01 PM
But you also get climate control, not a huge deal but definatly handy and saves you fiddling with knobs periodicly to maintain a comfortable temperature. If it was just leather and nothing else yes it might not be worth some of the price premiums. Having said that I'm sure Honda know they could have easily included climate control in VTI spec considering it has things many cars don't have such as electric seat functions, sunroofs ect. Not that I havn't seen some deadset bargains on good VTI-s (auto) for the same price or less as VTI's!

Btw thanks for that info regarding lowering ect Simpdog!;) Maybe if I lowered I wouldn't go as low as 35mm although it most likely looks great.

prob also worth keeping in mind climate control only came in the vti-s' from '95 onwards as well. the main differnces is that the vti-s has leather, abs brakes and standard drivers airbag (which was a $1k option on the vti iirc), thats what u pay the premium for :)

and cd5's ride pretty high, im sure if u got to lowering u might want to go at least 35mm (one guy did a 3.5 inch drop without bags) ;).

mrwillz
28-10-2007, 03:35 PM
u missd out on my cd5 wif only 140k's a1 spec n stock!

Riviera
28-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Ideally I want a manual but again they arn't as common especially in VTI-S trim. I know the autos have an issue where upon they crap themselves. Anything to particular to look for on a high kilometer example in regards to the gearbox? Obviously I would ensure it shifts smoothly and doesnt hunt for gears or make noises but what are some tell tale signs of the auto gearbox being on the way out in accords?

Thanks!

what i noticed in my older accord is slipping dropping back gear through corners and taking off in second those can be problems to be found with autos

its really dangerous lol u take off at the lights on a slight hill it rolls out into the intersection and doesnt move lol u then have to shift to N and back to D4 to get it to move again

P
R
N
D4
D3

mrwillz
28-10-2007, 08:49 PM
never had a problem like that in the auto box. or unheard of as well.

downshifting on a auto is alwais a no no. to much pressure put down on the GB so thats why u mite haf the problems?

94_vtec
28-10-2007, 09:09 PM
my cd5 vti-s just hit 269000 i bought it from an elderly couple every service is up to date i have done 40000 since i got it, they are alot of car for the money

Gards
31-10-2007, 10:57 AM
I also meant to ask ealier as this fits in with the topics of this thread.

How much would you expect to pay for an engine reconditioning in a CD5 Accord?:D

What about a price for recon of auto tranny?

4thGenExi
03-11-2007, 05:32 PM
CB7s and CD5 Accords (ie the ones built in Japan) go the distance. My dad has a 99 CG? Accord VTi-L and has had some fairly major problems with it. Ignition shat itself, and so did the distributor. Big dollars to fix both.

Meanwhile my 91 CB7 has 307,000 on it. I just completed a 100,000k interval major service which included replacing a few seals and belts (timing belts a big job). It now runs beautifully and should continue to do so for a while yet. There are no oil leaks and the transmission still shifts smoothly. Interiors beginning to wear a bit (but what do you expect with a 17 year old car).

I've had the car since 200,000km and the only major expenses I've had to do are CVs and a new distributor. Everything else has been pretty much faultless.

dw3ebo0
07-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Yeah, after reading people's comments (really appreciate it guys! :D) and looking around forums.. I would probably won't buy an CG (don't have the money for one anyway haha)

I want a CD5 now! :)

Just the fact that overall, I've read that cd5's go the distance without much problems (like 4thGenExi above with 300k); it would be a good cheap first car, and aye, I reckon it looks pretty good for a car that's nearly 14 years old! :thumbsup: The other reason would be that there aren't many manual CG's around. CD5.. it's a four door car, manual, decent power, has a honda badge on it, looks pretty good.. hey what else do I need! Just need to find one now! :cool:

Vinnie
08-11-2007, 02:58 AM
Just the fact that overall, I've read that cd5's go the distance without much problems (like 4thGenExi above with 300k

he was actually talking about a cb7 (4th gen), the cd5 (5th gen) is the model after it but you can see the point he was making ;)

the cd5's (and cb7s :p) do have a good reputation for reliability but that doesent mean u can't get one with problems, always be wary when buying a second hand car, good luck with finding a good one :)

and as you mentioned, people do seem surprised when i tell them the car is 13 years old, the design has aged very gracefully.

mason_luke
27-12-2007, 03:22 PM
i picked my vti cd5 up for $3850 with 280 on the clock, drives smooth and everything works great, only thing is its dark green and the roof has perished, few slight dings but i mean il pay the cash to have a respray as i saved the money on the price.

dw3ebo0
28-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Oh nice! Lucky, in what state by the way?

I haven't found a good one yet, there's only one manual cd5 on carsales and it's in burgundy with 235,000kms for $6.5k. If I got no choice, I guess I got to go with burdundy haha

Riviera
30-12-2007, 06:34 PM
wat are your plans for it??? keep the stock engine or upgrade>???

FAT VTI
01-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Oh nice! Lucky, in what state by the way?

I haven't found a good one yet, there's only one manual cd5 on carsales and it's in burgundy with 235,000kms for $6.5k. If I got no choice, I guess I got to go with burdundy haha

champ,
6.5K is a good price for a vti-s manual with about 150-180 xxx KM's.
Personally, 235K is too much for 6.5K, however if you can bargain it done to 5, then i'd consider taking it.

If you can be patient, I would wait and see what becomes available.
I own a cd5 vti-s (94) auto, very reliable car. Has done 164,000kms.
When i purchased the car, it had 150 000 on it, and bought it for a much better price.
Now let me put some of this BS to rest.
Firstly, My auto gearbox, in my cd5 vti-s has not got any problems. It has not in any way screwed up, and i do not know if this is a one off thing, that because it is a vti-s everybody starts to believe it, and this "inconsistancy" in the production of vti-s must be true, because somebody downshifted in an auto too much , and like somebody said, IT MOST DEFINATELY PUTS TOO MUCH STRAIN ON THE CAR!!!!
dont do it.

Secondly, vti-s are a very good car. In comparison to the vti, the added benefits are of personal opinion as to whether you would like the features or not. Somebody also said the 2-4K price difference between the same year vti and vti-s .
THIS PRICE DIFFERENCE IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!
vti-s are on average 1-2K more than the vti but remember, you never buy a car for the price you see on a car sales website, it is simply a starting price, and if anybody on here has actually purchased a car through private sale (or through dealerships) you would know you can always bargain the price down.
Now, the vti-s has leather trim, in my car, the leather has been very well maintained, and if you are going toobuy a 13-14 year old car with leather, MAKE SURE THE WINDOWS ARE TINTED, this is a pretty good indication as to how faded the leather will be.
Also, the vti-s (s= sports) , it has a "sporty spoiler", i swapped mine with a vti boot lid to get rid of the spoiler.
vti-s has abs, vti doesnt. Vti-s has gold badging, vti has silver badging.
vti-s as far as i know has climate control, vti doesnt...however am not 100% sure bout this 1.

Anyways, the extra 1.5K price difference (NOT FKN 2-4K) is most definately eligable, if you want the features!
It is totally up to you, however if you can afford to wait till a vti-s comes on the market, which does not have high kms and a price tag too high for the amount of kays, then I would encourage you to do this.

I have owned my car for 5months or so, and in this time, all I have changed is the cv joints, however there wouldnt be a difference in the cv joints between a vti and vti-s so i think its just an age thing.

Finally, the only other bit of advice I can give you, regardless of what car you buy (so long as it's a honda) with however many kms are on it, GET IT SERVICED as soon as you buy it by Rob at Hannys performance if you in Sydney. If there are any problems, he will find them.

Hope i have helped in some way,
Sean (94 vti-s owner)

p.s. When you buy your accord, jump on www.ozaccord.com and have a chat to the australian Accord community, great blokes on it who will help you with any possible problem or issue you may encounter.
pss give me a POINT!!!!

94_vtec
02-01-2008, 09:22 PM
champ,
6.5K is a good price for a vti-s manual with about 150-180 xxx KM's.
Personally, 235K is too much for 6.5K, however if you can bargain it done to 5, then i'd consider taking it.

If you can be patient, I would wait and see what becomes available.
I own a cd5 vti-s (94) auto, very reliable car. Has done 164,000kms.
When i purchased the car, it had 150 000 on it, and bought it for a much better price.
Now let me put some of this BS to rest.
Firstly, My auto gearbox, in my cd5 vti-s has not got any problems. It has not in any way screwed up, and i do not know if this is a one off thing, that because it is a vti-s everybody starts to believe it, and this "inconsistancy" in the production of vti-s must be true, because somebody downshifted in an auto too much , and like somebody said, IT MOST DEFINATELY PUTS TOO MUCH STRAIN ON THE CAR!!!!
dont do it.

Secondly, vti-s are a very good car. In comparison to the vti, the added benefits are of personal opinion as to whether you would like the features or not. Somebody also said the 2-4K price difference between the same year vti and vti-s .
THIS PRICE DIFFERENCE IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!
vti-s are on average 1-2K more than the vti but remember, you never buy a car for the price you see on a car sales website, it is simply a starting price, and if anybody on here has actually purchased a car through private sale (or through dealerships) you would know you can always bargain the price down.
Now, the vti-s has leather trim, in my car, the leather has been very well maintained, and if you are going toobuy a 13-14 year old car with leather, MAKE SURE THE WINDOWS ARE TINTED, this is a pretty good indication as to how faded the leather will be.
Also, the vti-s (s= sports) , it has a "sporty spoiler", i swapped mine with a vti boot lid to get rid of the spoiler.
vti-s has abs, vti doesnt. Vti-s has gold badging, vti has silver badging.
vti-s as far as i know has climate control, vti doesnt...however am not 100% sure bout this 1.

Anyways, the extra 1.5K price difference (NOT FKN 2-4K) is most definately eligable, if you want the features!
It is totally up to you, however if you can afford to wait till a vti-s comes on the market, which does not have high kms and a price tag too high for the amount of kays, then I would encourage you to do this.

I have owned my car for 5months or so, and in this time, all I have changed is the cv joints, however there wouldnt be a difference in the cv joints between a vti and vti-s so i think its just an age thing.

Finally, the only other bit of advice I can give you, regardless of what car you buy (so long as it's a honda) with however many kms are on it, GET IT SERVICED as soon as you buy it by Rob at Hannys performance if you in Sydney. If there are any problems, he will find them.

Hope i have helped in some way,
Sean (94 vti-s owner)

p.s. When you buy your accord, jump on www.ozaccord.com and have a chat to the australian Accord community, great blokes on it who will help you with any possible problem or issue you may encounter.
pss give me a POINT!!!!

1. not every vti-s came with a ''sporty spoiler''
2. not every vti-s came with climate control
3. not every vti-s came with gold badging

Vinnie
03-01-2008, 02:04 AM
to confirm, the gold badging and spoiler were factory options. climate control was standard on all vti-s's from mid 1995 onwards and the main difference between the vti and vti-s was the leather trim, abs brakes and standard drivers airbag ($1000 option on vti).

and if you can find an immaculate manual vti-s with around 150k on the clock for $6.5k, buy it immediately because that is a very good price, ide say the best examples are still worth around $8k-$9k.

as for the auto trannies, it was the autos in the cg series accords that was most renowned for having problems but the auto trans were the same in all cd5 accords so no issues would be specific to the vti-s. the fact that they are now around 13 years old would be a greater contributor to any issues but well looked after they should perform fine. :)

Riviera
03-01-2008, 06:55 AM
one thing somebody may not have noticed i think is different brakes

whenever i look up brake pads its either
exi
vti
vti-s

and they all have different brake pads

FAT VTI
03-01-2008, 08:21 AM
well,
I was judging by my vti-s as to what vti-s and vti were different.

the optional extras are jst bullshit, however Id love to get my hands on a silver vti-s badge, id trade 2 accord badges, a honda badge , a sliver vti badge and a gold vti-s badge all for that 1 vti-s badge any1 keen?

Anyways, 6.5K for a car with 235KMs i still think is a little much, its around the mark but i mean i'd be trynna bargain it down.
Not saying anything is wrong with it, but it's an old car, no matter what people on here will tell you about "oh its a honda they last forever blah blah blah" all in all, its an old car, expect minor problems.

e.g. broken seals, leaks, cv joints etc.

Its all part and parcel of owning an old car with high kms.
Thats the only reason I'd try to find something with a few less kays, due to the problems which you may face its probably worth it.
in saying this, remember it is how a car has been driven, a car with 120xxxkay thrashed by its owner will not be as good as a car with 230xxxKms driven by say an elderly couple who use it to go up the road.

Its a win and lose situation,

Sean

FAT VTI
03-01-2008, 08:23 AM
94 vtec

Just about every variation you just listed that was wrong with my post, I want on my car!!!!!
I had to change my boot lid to fk off the spoiler, I debadged my accord coz gold badging on a white car was ugly,

ah well,
U got silver badging u wanna trade?, ill give you 5 for 1.

Sean

Nepolian
03-01-2008, 08:37 AM
I bought my wagon with 305000k's onit and and hasnt missed a beat. I have changed the fuelpump and cv's, but what do you exect from a 300k plus.

As for pricing, a car is worth what people will pay. Asking price for some is what they want and some are flexible. Never hurts to offer a lower amount. If declined, move on to the next car, plenty of Accords around. If you find one you like and cost too much, too bad! Remember, a well kept car will always command more money and not everyone can get a bargain.

FAT VTI
03-01-2008, 09:05 AM
not everyone will get a bargain!

NO BUT TRY, ITS AN ACCORD, THEY ARE NOT EXACTLY TOO RARE!!!!!

Sean

mason_luke
03-01-2008, 09:06 AM
i picked it up in northern nsw, id keep your ear to the ground though should be able to pick one up around melbs for 4- 5 g in decent condition.

dw3ebo0
03-01-2008, 07:13 PM
wat are your plans for it??? keep the stock engine or upgrade>???

engine.. I would keep it stock. The only things I would do to it would be coilovers, full exhaust and rims.

dw3ebo0
03-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks a lot for that detailed response "FAT VTI"!! I don't know if I want the extras.. I'll just wait and see, see if any more manual cd5's come on the market, if things come to worst, I'm just going to buy an auto. =]

FAT VTI
03-01-2008, 08:32 PM
hey dude
If you dont want the extras just get a vti.

When i bought mine, there were alot floating around, however I was after the leather seats more than anything.
Sean

Element12
19-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Hey guys. I'm thinking about buying a cd5 (most likely a vti/-s) and looking at the ones on the market atm.. most cd5's have nearly or have done more than 200,000kms (fair enough it's been around for while).

Just want the opinions of any cd5 owners with ~200,000kms. How is it? Is there any problems/things I should know about it? Like engine-wise, suspension-wise.. etc. Or should I just save up another year for the '98 accord vti (CG), which have less k's? Any opinions are welcome! =]

Yep, i bought my accord with 83,445km's on the clock :)

Its now up to about 109,552km's

So, yeah i'd say they do exist hidden in garages !

skyflyer
20-03-2008, 11:31 PM
I bought my '96 white VTi-S for $6K with 249,000kms. The best decision I've ever made and the car runs great as a daily driven car, and gearshift is smooth as - having owned it for about close to 2 months now. The best looking Accord Honda has ever made so far (with Japanese CF Accord comes as close second).

Also VTi-S from late (Dec.) '95 onwards (i.e. the post-facelift CD Accord) has auto climate control (like the one found in Accord Si-R), front driver's and passenger's airbags, leather seats, sunroof, no boot spoiler (this is optional extra), ABS, silver VTi-S badge (gold badge I think is for anniversary version). And it's auto.

Auto or manual depends on how you are going to drive the car - around town in peak traffic etc. I used to drive a 1980 BMW 323i E21 2.7L stroker engine (my second car) with 'dogleg' manual BMW sports gearbox (sports gearbox of early 80s era with first gear pattern is down to the left, second is up, third is down, fourth is up and fifth is down) with no power steering and lowered. It is not fun at all driving this around town.

The coolest thing I found in CD Accord is the auto climate control. Love it!

Good luck with the search though.

FAT VTI
21-03-2008, 08:50 AM
I bought my '96 white VTi-S for $6K with 249,000kms. The best decision I've ever made and the car runs great as a daily driven car, and gearshift is smooth as - having owned it for about close to 2 months now. The best looking Accord Honda has ever made so far (with Japanese CF Accord comes as close second).

Also VTi-S from late (Dec.) '95 onwards (i.e. the post-facelift CD Accord) has auto climate control (like the one found in Accord Si-R), front driver's and passenger's airbags, leather seats, sunroof, no boot spoiler (this is optional extra), ABS, silver VTi-S badge (gold badge I think is for anniversary version). And it's auto.

Auto or manual depends on how you are going to drive the car - around town in peak traffic etc. I used to drive a 1980 BMW 323i E21 2.7L stroker engine (my second car) with 'dogleg' manual BMW sports gearbox (sports gearbox of early 80s era with first gear pattern is down to the left, second is up, third is down, fourth is up and fifth is down) with no power steering and lowered. It is not fun at all driving this around town.

The coolest thing I found in CD Accord is the auto climate control. Love it!

Good luck with the search though.

94 accord vti-s have climate control it was an optional extra.
94 accords also came with vti-s/vti/exi badges gold or silver was an option
boot spoiler came with vti-s 94/95, but i dont think it was ever on vti's 94/95 could be wrong.

Personal opinion, best accord ever made was either they cd5 sir, or the cd5 ex coupe'

skyflyer
21-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Personal opinion, best accord ever made was either they cd5 sir, or the cd5 ex coupe'

Yeah agreed. Love the Si-R. But I don't like the look of Accord coupe (it looks very much like Prelude of the era) and it is not available in Japan (I think the coupe is made in America??? Can someone confirm this?)

Cheers.

Riviera
22-03-2008, 07:26 AM
ya coupes only for america, ive seen a couple of coupes getting round here but
definatly import.

FAT VTI
22-03-2008, 09:52 AM
I highly doubt you have seen accord coupes in australia.

Riviera
22-03-2008, 10:14 AM
not the CD5 model in particular... a couple 3rd gen CA's

skyflyer
23-03-2008, 10:54 PM
They don't look nice anyway because CD wasn't meant to be a coupe in my opinion. In Japan, they're only available in sedan (and wagon of course).

Sorry not related to topic. Does anyone know where to source a CF Accord in AUS? Thanks.

Below is a CF Accord:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ja/1/17/6thACCORD.JPG

DeejCD5
24-03-2008, 05:25 PM
hey buddy, i bought a VTI-S as a first car bout a month ago with 197k on the clock. Not a problem with it so far, except the front drive-shaft needed to be replaced due to wear and tear. That got picked up through roadworthy anyway so was at sellers expense.

Also 200k service is a major one so can get a bit expensive. It's a beautiful car though.

Riviera
24-03-2008, 06:33 PM
yes i am well due for my 200k service, its stupid it was awesome until it reached 200k right after that the leaks are here lol

FAT VTI
24-03-2008, 07:17 PM
yeah
my leak has started from waterpump seal, its on 168xxxkms.
Will try to sit it out, if it gets too bad ill have it done.

Element12
24-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Anyone got an accord with <115,000km's ?

Just out of interest.

tuppelo
24-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Just to put my input here...My CD5 is 94 model, it had 191 and I put 2000km in last 4 days...I went from Adelaide via Great Ocean Road, to Melbourne and just returned back... Everything is in perfect condition, car has regular services, I have just changed Water pump all tensioners and timing belt as car was approaching 200K. It hasn't got a single drop of oil on engine or gearbox….. In regards to my trip, it was just perfect, car revs so nicely despite the fact that has close to 200K. It was flying through corners of Great Ocean Road and today when I was driving back from Melbourne, when overtaking it was doing 140-160km with no trouble, I was overtaking Commodores and Falcons and it had more guts left but I wasn't keen on paying any fines...fuel consumption was great as well, I almost made it on a single tank..

You can't go wrong with it as long as it is well maintained.

Vinnie
25-03-2008, 04:21 AM
as good as it is that you are happy with your car and as much as i love cd5's, most likely the only reason you were able to seemingly so effortlessly overtake the falcadores was because they were smart enough to be not doing the speeds you were, let alone bragging about it on a public forum. not having a go at you mate but cops have been known to lurk around forums, best to not admit to illegal activities :)

Riviera
25-03-2008, 06:16 AM
lol my leak is going on the timing belt :s nooooooooooot gud

tuppelo
25-03-2008, 07:50 AM
as good as it is that you are happy with your car and as much as i love cd5's, most likely the only reason you were able to seemingly so effortlessly overtake the falcadores was because they were smart enough to be not doing the speeds you were, let alone bragging about it on a public forum. not having a go at you mate but cops have been known to lurk around forums, best to not admit to illegal activities :)

I said that more to emphasize that 4 cylinder Accord Engine after doing 200,000km still performs well...Surely I can not compare with 4Litre engines...

Spoon-Accord
28-03-2008, 02:37 AM
i've owned 2 accords in my lifetime, and i wouldn't hesitate to buy another one in the future, pure Japanese built car :)

the first one i had, had 122km's on the clock, bought it back in 1999 (was 4 years old when i bought it) had alot of k's for that year model car

now is rocking somewhere 260 thousand k's?

still using the same engine, torque converter, brake rotors, exhaust.

second accord was about 200 thousand k's on the shell, but had a h22a conversion, car worked fine for 2 years, clutch lasted ages ( the way i drive;] )

overall CD5 accords are one of the best accords thats ever been built, flaws where minimal, but driving them was always a pleasure :)

just check for visible oil leakage, and also the cooling system (radiator grime, rust) that could lead to future problems :)

hope that helps, any more inquiries just feel free to PM me

kenny

stoodamire
28-03-2008, 02:40 AM
Sell you my CD5 with 70,000kms on it :D

mike0094
29-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Seems as though most people'v had trouble free runs with their CD5's, i got my 94 with about 170k on the clock, and its been fastidiously maintained by me up to 210k now..but the following major things have gone wrong, starter motor went, master cylinder went, ignition switch went....and those things werent cheap to repalce either, i still love it though (:

xenonkuraz
29-09-2009, 11:51 PM
My accord has 112,000 on the odo.

freshprince
01-10-2009, 11:06 PM
my frend is driving a cd5 thats done about 260k km the last time i drove it. It's about 100k km more than what my cd5 has done, and they run exactly the same.

interfooler
02-10-2009, 06:03 PM
I drive a 1995 CD5 VTi with 145k on it. When I bought it it had 126k and was well maintained by the previous owner. Since the change of ownership the only part I have changed is the exhaust due to a puncture. It drives without a hitch so far. I have also driven from adelaide to melbourne in 1 tank of fuel. Great car.

Element12
02-10-2009, 09:26 PM
I got my CD5 with 84,455km's on the clock original with full logbooks.

Now, she's at 117,8xx km's

Never had a problem except at around 110,xxx km's the master/slave clutch cylinder died, easy fix but thought it should have been mentioned.

Always been serviced every 5,000km's, it all comes down to how well do you look after your car and how well it will last :P

Jarkz
03-10-2009, 12:46 PM

Mine has 250,000 kms on her, but drives and idles still like new. VTEC still kicks in just as good as day one also.

Don't let the number of kms decide it's health.

aaron182
13-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Hey mate, probably just more of the same, but i bought my CD5 with about 150k, its now about to tick over to 190k (40k in a year :S) but its going great. serviced every 10k by local mechanic and havent had to replace A THING, besides getting a near new set of stock struts as the original were cactus.

skyflyer
15-10-2009, 12:24 PM
cd-chassis accord is one of the more reliable cars ever built on the planet... they were built like a tank. mine was 255,000 before i sold it.