PDA

View Full Version : mods

ef-civic
18-10-2007, 08:04 PM
hey all.. looking to do up my ED hatch its white black bonnet extractors and exhuast.. thats it for now.. i need ideas on what to do.. anyone can help that'd be great :D cheers all

smomo
18-10-2007, 11:19 PM
are you looking to keep the standard engine? i dare say your best option would be to save some money and do an engine conversion, what engine is in there now? the 1.5 dual carb?

this is assuming your talking about modifying for more power, if not just ignore what i said

dupac->
18-10-2007, 11:20 PM
paint the black bonnet white. :D

est1989
18-10-2007, 11:25 PM
engine convert to fuel inject first :)

lol then u might have to change extractors lol..

cristian
19-10-2007, 12:12 AM
engine convert to fuel inject first :)

lol then u might have to change extractors lol..

he can use the same ones if he changes to a d16

SeverAMV
19-10-2007, 09:56 AM
i've heard that some people have done a quad carburettor conversion, but i cant seem to find much info on it. seems to be a worthwhile conversion that could bump up response. aside from that, you could search for the keihin cv dual carb mod on this forum, or replace your airbox lid with a cut baking tray to expose the filter, with the base of the airbox acting as a heatshield of sorts. you can remove the air resonator box thingy at the start of the intake and replace it with a hose getting air from the outside of your car if you dont want to remove your airbox lid.

other option is ebay bolt-on turbo. not too bad according to some people if you run low boost, and you wont need ecu tuning as its a carb.

cristian
19-10-2007, 11:47 AM
i've heard that some people have done a quad carburettor conversion, but i cant seem to find much info on it. seems to be a worthwhile conversion that could bump up response. aside from that, you could search for the keihin cv dual carb mod on this forum, or replace your airbox lid with a cut baking tray to expose the filter, with the base of the airbox acting as a heatshield of sorts. you can remove the air resonator box thingy at the start of the intake and replace it with a hose getting air from the outside of your car if you dont want to remove your airbox lid.

other option is ebay bolt-on turbo. not too bad according to some people if you run low boost, and you wont need ecu tuning as its a carb.

there's plenty of quad carb conversions for the d15 motor examples on www.d-series.org and search

some variants using kawasaki carbies with a custom manifold, sounds great, looks awesome, good gains, but end of the day efficiency is no where near using a b series into the ED platform...

cristian
19-10-2007, 01:54 PM
you can remove the air resonator box thingy at the start of the intake and replace it with a hose getting air from the outside of your car if you dont want to remove your airbox lid.

here's a pic i found in an old forsale thread...

http://images.carsales.com.au/private/2765627.jpg

as u can see, he's still using the airbox but changed the piping to a smoother stainless steel piping with an HKS style pod...(in these applications u can remove the filter inside the airbox)

and i think thats an X-Force header he's using there...

this is in an EH body which means that his battery is sitting next to his firewall...if u do the same with an ED , the battery sits between the engine and where the pod is situated in the photo...which to some extent keeps some of the heat away...

in my car i use this flexi pipe that runs from the front of the car to the inlet of the plastic piping...i've also removed the resonator and ran another pipe thats directed to the front of the car

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v105/232/81/707362688/n707362688_242028_8824.jpg

http://a822.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/86/l_ca83cb781a3dc90d1a3c6e2575fe7f55.jpg

last night i was on the freeway and stopped at the freeway petrol station and popped the bonnet, its amazing how cooled the piping and the airbox were...

i also use x-force headers, stock cat and 2inch catback made by a local exhaust place...

http://a149.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/2/l_b5dd6ab479262ba9a92f00550c48d2cc.jpg

SeverAMV
19-10-2007, 02:22 PM
as u can see, he's still using the airbox but changed the piping to a smoother stainless steel piping with an HKS style pod...(in these applications u can remove the filter inside the airbox)

this is in an EH body which means that his battery is sitting next to his firewall...if u do the same with an ED , the battery sits between the engine and where the pod is situated in the photo...which to some extent keeps some of the heat away...

in my car i use this flexi pipe that runs from the front of the car to the inlet of the plastic piping...i've also removed the resonator and ran another pipe thats directed to the front of the car

last night i was on the freeway and stopped at the freeway petrol station and popped the bonnet, its amazing how cooled the piping and the airbox were...

i also use x-force headers, stock cat and 2inch catback made by a local exhaust place...

rawr, your car seems to be everything mine isnt.

the engine bay is friggin annoying with the piping and wiring blocking off my mounting points for my strut braces.
i've got an pipe running from the air resonator to outside the car too.
but my engine cant seem to stay cool. i swapped to anti boil coolant, and it still steams out after short sprint races on the track. should run a little cooler when my stainless steel extractors arrive, supposedly stainless steel stays cooler. then i'll heatwrap it.

with regards to the image of the pod intake system, i find that the flow rate is much higher when you move the piping a little more to the right from the pic. airflow is massive around the battery of an ED.

cristian
19-10-2007, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=SeverAMV;1394316]should run a little cooler when my stainless steel extractors arrive, supposedly stainless steel stays cooler. then i'll heatwrap it.
QUOTE]

just be careful heatwrapping stainless steel extractors, they tend to have a shorter lifespan in form of cracks...

SeverAMV
19-10-2007, 03:03 PM
just be careful heatwrapping stainless steel extractors, they tend to have a shorter lifespan in form of cracks...

mm, im just hoping these extractors will last a year or two. i got em on ebay along with a full stainless steel n1 catback exhaust with silencer for $140, so it wont be too expensive to replace. cant seem to figure out why my engine keeps coming close to overheating tho.

cristian
19-10-2007, 03:40 PM
mm, im just hoping these extractors will last a year or two. i got em on ebay along with a full stainless steel n1 catback exhaust with silencer for $140, so it wont be too expensive to replace. cant seem to figure out why my engine keeps coming close to overheating tho.

is it blowing a lot of smoke?!?

my old motor died coz the head was goneskies...
the last 2 weeks before i got it changed i would drive the car to places, and have a full radiator, perfectly good water pump and no water leaks but still it would overheat after about 10 minutes of driving...

SeverAMV
19-10-2007, 03:48 PM
is it blowing a lot of smoke?!?

my old motor died coz the head was goneskies...
the last 2 weeks before i got it changed i would drive the car to places, and have a full radiator, perfectly good water pump and no water leaks but still it would overheat after about 10 minutes of driving...

nah, had the head fixed recently so no smoking. also had a new water pump put in too. but the coolant temp gets a little too high for my liking sometimes, and then the coolant just vaporises. it overheats after 10 minutes of half-throttle sprinting, which is rather unusual. its not too bad if i drive slower. i'll have my mechanic look into it once i get most of my parts in. was planning a major modification soon, so i'll get it looked at at the same time.

cristian
19-10-2007, 04:11 PM
ahh k...

i had that problem before...the spring in the radiator cap was springing at a lot lower pressure levels than it should...and it used 2 let coolant out into the reservoir but never the other way around...

SeverAMV
19-10-2007, 04:32 PM
ahhh, hmm, could be the problem, altho i swapped radiator caps recently. for some reason, coolant in mine doesnt want to go into the reservoir until it boils >.<

oh btw, is there much clearance between your extractors and airconditioning and radiator? my front end is dented in, so im a little short on space when i get my extractors fitted.

cristian
19-10-2007, 04:40 PM
ahhh, hmm, could be the problem, altho i swapped radiator caps recently. for some reason, coolant in mine doesnt want to go into the reservoir until it boils >.<

oh btw, is there much clearance between your extractors and airconditioning and radiator? my front end is dented in, so im a little short on space when i get my extractors fitted.

yeah, the extractors sit pretty much where the heat shield used 2 be...theres about a centimeter gap between the piping and the fan...
i dont know how u'd tackle that man, maybe mod ur radiator mounts...

ef-civic
19-10-2007, 07:00 PM
yeah im thinking engine swap atm not to sure as to what to change it to.. want something so i can have more power.. but dont wanna spend much.. haha but yeah atm ... also the motor i got now..when i rev it.. it blows a little black smoke.. whats that mean ? real rich on fuel ?

ef-civic
19-10-2007, 07:07 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34440&page=13

go to the bottom... thats a pic of my car.. what it is atm

SeverAMV
20-10-2007, 11:16 AM
yeah im thinking engine swap atm not to sure as to what to change it to.. want something so i can have more power.. but dont wanna spend much.. haha but yeah atm ... also the motor i got now..when i rev it.. it blows a little black smoke.. whats that mean ? real rich on fuel ?

if you're lucky, its rich on fuel, if you're unlucky, one of your cylinder's is going and the fuel isnt combusting. i'd probably check your filter first, if its clogged up it wont be getting enough air for complete combustion so it may blow black smoke.

it all depends on how much power you really want. some owners complain about the b16a after hyping it up so much, so im not too sure about it there. but engine swaps to me are relatively expensive and could probably be outclassed by modifying the existing engine.

if you have faith in your motor's durability, i'd go the way of the ebay turbo kit and replace some internals and maybe opt for a smaller faster spooling turbo from a wrecker. the ebay turbos are 600-ish, leaving you plenty for internals. but your motor's reliability will go down significantly beyond 5-8psi boost. but the turbo will increase the efficiency of your carbs by a fair bit so the power boost should be noticeable.

nick_sixx
22-11-2007, 12:58 PM
hey man this thread is kinda old but if you want to upgrade to a d-series (more than enough power for your platform) sohc vtec,************** i just think it'd be the best way to go for your chassis etc