PDA

View Full Version : clutch "skipping" -- "slipping" ?

petsfact
18-10-2007, 10:42 PM
anyone with manual euro found their clutch skip a bit in 1st gear? especially after cold start i.e. in the morning?

i am not sure if that's skipping or slipping but it seems like no matter how much fuel you give when taking off, the car jerk....

it feels alright just after like 5 minutes of stop go traffic where clutch is fully utilized.

i also found my 1st gear a bit annoying sometime, when taking off and accelerate smoothly the car seems to accelerate steadily pull strongly, but if i take off aggressively it just make noise and not going anywhere.... :( but this condition also get better after around 20 minutes of freeway driving....

honda is one mysterious car....

blk05gli
18-10-2007, 10:59 PM
hmm, your car has a fuel supply regulator that you adjust from the cabin when taking off? :-)

aaronng
18-10-2007, 11:17 PM
anyone with manual euro found their clutch skip a bit in 1st gear? especially after cold start i.e. in the morning?

i am not sure if that's skipping or slipping but it seems like no matter how much fuel you give when taking off, the car jerk....

it feels alright just after like 5 minutes of stop go traffic where clutch is fully utilized.
Because during cold start, the throttle is opened larger than usual. That's why you get a sudden jerk when taking off with a cold engine.

i also found my 1st gear a bit annoying sometime, when taking off and accelerate smoothly the car seems to accelerate steadily pull strongly, but if i take off aggressively it just make noise and not going anywhere.... :( but this condition also get better after around 20 minutes of freeway driving....

Does your rpm rise but your speed stays the same?

petsfact
19-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Because during cold start, the throttle is opened larger than usual. That's why you get a sudden jerk when taking off with a cold engine.

Does your rpm rise but your speed stays the same?

my speed does increase till 3 or 4krpm after that range it's all nosie and roughness from the engine. and hell a lot of noise and vibration from the engine.

aaronng
19-10-2007, 11:05 AM
my speed does increase till 3 or 4krpm after that range it's all nosie and roughness from the engine. and hell a lot of noise and vibration from the engine.

Is this when the engine is cold or warm? So you mean after 4000rpm, the speed doesn't increase much and it's the rpm that is increasing instead?

petsfact
19-10-2007, 01:20 PM
yeh, this happens in all condition..... the car definitely do not go faster after 4krpm in 1st gear.

aaronng
19-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Sounds like a slipping clutch. Does your clutch pedal have any freeplay at the top (it should feel floppy through your foot). If there is no freeplay, then your clutch is partially disengaged. If there is freeplay, then either your clutch is worn out or the pressure plate has a fault.

petsfact
19-10-2007, 04:31 PM
the clutch is always a suspect, there is enough freeplay on the clutch, but sometime when i slightly rest my foot on the clutch pedal i can feel a constant roughness of the clutch spinning.

i always think i have a lose clutch + flywheel setting because from time to time when i release the clutch slowly it gives the clutch dumping feeling, feel like the clutch suddenly disengage on the process of slowly releasing the clutch pedal.

aaronng
19-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Your clutch/flywheel is not loose. If it was, your car would be in trouble.

Is your friction point at the bottom or at the top? Also, why are you resting your foot on the clutch pedal?

petsfact
19-10-2007, 05:03 PM
because my foot rest on it i don't know why!!!!

oh well sometime i rest on it because i drive on toorak everyday on peak hour you know how frequent it stop and go....

aaronng
19-10-2007, 05:43 PM
because my foot rest on it i don't know why!!!!

oh well sometime i rest on it because i drive on toorak everyday on peak hour you know how frequent it stop and go....
Well, resting is the 2nd culprit to premature clutchwear.

BTW, is your bite point at the top or bottom of the pedal travel?

petsfact
19-10-2007, 09:16 PM
close to bottom

aaronng
19-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Hmm, if it is close to the bottom, then it shouldn't be clutch wear... Any warranty remaining?

petsfact
19-10-2007, 10:49 PM
just ran out. didn't continue.

anyway i am bringing my car into a local mechanic for 5000km oil change tommorow, might ask them where is the roughness and metalic scrapping noise coming from.

aaronng
20-10-2007, 12:08 AM
Do you get the metallic scraping sound only when you are releasing the clutch? No sound when the clutch pedal is released? If it is that, then it could be the throwout bearing.

petsfact
20-10-2007, 11:38 AM
the metalic sound only happens when driving.

i.e. cruising at 80km/h in 5th or 6th gear, smooth no noise, decided to overtake car, put my foot down to accelerate, immediately i can hear constant metallic noise from the engine with window down, car does not response quickly to the acceleration, the speed increase slowly, once i take my foot off the accelerator the metallic noise is gone, put my foot down, noise is there, release the pedal noise is gone.

in other words the metallic noise only come on when the engine is under heavy load, regardless what gear was in, it happens from 1st to 6th gear, haven't really try with reverse gear though.

the noise wasn't really as loud just after each service, and it start getting louder after around 2 - 3000km build on the new service.

aaronng
20-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Do you use 91, 95 or 98 octane petrol?
How many kms does your car have and what year model is it?
Do you do your servicing at the dealer, elsewhere or DIY?

petsfact
20-10-2007, 01:28 PM
98 always
2003 dec manual
always service and Honda

this metallic noise happens the moment i drive my car out from the dealer after 40000km service