PDA

View Full Version : [DC2-R] Time for a Change (Things affecting Fuel Consumption)

xntrik
19-10-2007, 09:19 AM
My car has been drinking petrol like it paid for it the bastard.
From what I've searched I need to check/change the following:

Injectors.
Would I need to change it or just clean it up?
If so what would you guys reccomend for a DC2-R

Fuel Filter.
No ideas about these, what should I replace em with?

Spark Plugs.
I was thinking replacing them with NGK Spark plugs?
(Any Other reccomendations/review on these welcome)
And would I have to change the spark leads as well?

Thermostat.
Was thinking of replacing these with Spoon B-series Low Temp Thermostat
What do you guys think?

O2 Sensor.
I was also thinking of replacing this with NGK's O2 Sensor?

Upon replacing all of these, my DC2-R should be drinking less petrol/making more mileage correct? Im so unsure.
If there is anything else I've missed that may affect Fuel consumption please do add.

b4dnuf
19-10-2007, 10:22 AM
For the Fuel Filter go OEM..

bennjamin
19-10-2007, 12:05 PM
replace your fuel filter with an OEM filter.
Air filter dirty ? CLEAN IT !/REPLACE IT !
Dont change your injectors just run some decent fuel and they will clean themselves. (BP 8000 or vortex 98 or whatever)
Get some iridium spark plugs to suit your DC2R

most common thing....

CHECK YOUR TYRE PRESSURE !

Low tyre pressure can drastically increase your fuel economy.
I drove around on a new set of tyres for a good 2-3 weeks wondering why they didnt feel so good , and that i was averaging 10-12l/100km (easy driving). Checked my tyres and they were a good 8-10 psi each underflated from the tyre shop DOH. Filled up to correct level (36 psi) and within a tank im back to my 7-8l/100kms :)

DLO01
19-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Thermostat.
Was thinking of replacing these with Spoon B-series Low Temp Thermostat
What do you guys think?

Upon replacing all of these, my DC2-R should be drinking less petrol/making more mileage correct? Im so unsure.
If there is anything else I've missed that may affect Fuel consumption please do add.

Do that with stock Ecu and you'll use more fuel. Don't do it.

Get honda or a mechanic to check your problems out.

xntrik
19-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the additional help guys.

Hm,
What about the O2 Sensor and Thermostat?
I heard if the thermostat reads your engine temp wrong, it'll
consumpt more fuel to get your car warmed up .. or something along those lines.

- Ly

wp89
19-10-2007, 03:47 PM
how many kms are you getting out of a tank ?

bennjamin
19-10-2007, 03:48 PM
does your temp. drop while cruising ? (say on the highway etc) ?
Does the run quite bad in normal everyday driving ?
IF so the thermostat is stuck ope and needs a change.
But otherwise , leave it.
The o2 sensor should give a MIL code on your dash if its bad or totally disconnected

both will make your car run more rich and use more fuel

xntrik
19-10-2007, 09:49 PM
does your temp. drop while cruising ? (say on the highway etc) ?
Does the run quite bad in normal everyday driving ?
IF so the thermostat is stuck ope and needs a change.
But otherwise , leave it.
The o2 sensor should give a MIL code on your dash if its bad or totally disconnected

both will make your car run more rich and use more fuel

MIL code?
My thermostat doesnt drop while cruising, it stays about a bar below the middle line (which is normal from what I've read right?)

xntrik
20-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Anyone else have an opinion?

shadou
20-10-2007, 03:35 PM
think it's all been covered. Regularly serviced? and how much kms out of one full tank?

aaronng
20-10-2007, 09:22 PM
MIL code?
My thermostat doesnt drop while cruising, it stays about a bar below the middle line (which is normal from what I've read right?)

The needle is not the thermostat. The thermostat controls the coolant flow to the radiator. The needle is the coolant temperature gauge. If it is constantly a bar below the middle, then your thermostat is good. If it was faulty, the temperature needle would drop to cold when you were moving and then climb back up when you are stopped (assuming your current thermostat is a Honda OEM one).

aaronng
20-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Anyone else have an opinion?

How many kms on your car? If you just passed 60,000 or 120,000km, then change the plugs. Stock are NGK platinums. You can go for the same or go for NGK iridiums. The difference is that platinums last 60,000 while iridiums last 120,000km.

The main ones are to replace your fuel filter with a Honda OEM one, increase your tyre pressure to 32psi, replace the airfilter if it is dirty (if it is an aftermarket one, you should be able to clean it).

DON'T change the injectors, DON'T change the O2 sensor and DON'T change the thermostat.

xntrik
21-10-2007, 05:55 PM
How many kms on your car? If you just passed 60,000 or 120,000km, then change the plugs. Stock are NGK platinums. You can go for the same or go for NGK iridiums. The difference is that platinums last 60,000 while iridiums last 120,000km.

The main ones are to replace your fuel filter with a Honda OEM one, increase your tyre pressure to 32psi, replace the airfilter if it is dirty (if it is an aftermarket one, you should be able to clean it).

DON'T change the injectors, DON'T change the O2 sensor and DON'T change the thermostat.

Thanks alot for that!

aaronng
21-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks alot for that!

BTW, are you using a plug in spoon ecu or those ebay "power chips"?

xntrik
22-10-2007, 08:36 AM
BTW, are you using a plug in spoon ecu or those ebay "power chips"?

Hell no.