PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Speedo Needle!!! Ideas?!?

iijjee
07-08-2004, 11:02 PM
My speedo needle has started going a little crazy over the past few months! At times, it works fine, but some days the check engine light comes on intermittently and the needle bounces all over the show! Some days it will stop working for minutes at a time! Had the plug into the g'box checked by an auto-elec, but he said it is likely that the unit itself is dying (the VSS?). I rang Honda and they say the part is $270 - 350 depending on the actual model. Are there any shortcuts? Do any other VSS's fit my engine?

I have a 5 speed EG Civic with a B16A from a Jap SiR ('94)...

Any help will be appreciated... are they available anywhere second-hand? Is that a wise option? What will labour be worth? Can anyone help me out??? I read a past thread where a guy purchased a part from NZ. Is that the best I can do???

Ta.

iijjee

ECU-MAN
08-08-2004, 12:44 AM
I do not know Of any aftermarket VSS for Civics
since the Engine Check Light Comes on and then your needle plays up Idd say its teh VSS circuit. you need to make sure you have code 17 in your ECU. they only take 10 min to replace. make sure your VSS is rooted before you replace it.

88crx
08-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Yeah i just recently got a similar prob:(

When i first start driving the car its fine for about 5mins
then it just bounces around. eg: doing 60 will bounce up n down
from 55-65km/h. Im not sure if its the actual VSS or the dash (where speedo cable plugs in)
Havent checked ECU codes yet (will do soon as i cbf)

Just wanted to know possiblities of this.

any way to test the VSS if taken out??

thanks

ECU-MAN
08-08-2004, 04:16 PM
Yeah i just recently got a similar prob:(

When i first start driving the car its fine for about 5mins
then it just bounces around. eg: doing 60 will bounce up n down
from 55-65km/h. Im not sure if its the actual VSS or the dash (where speedo cable plugs in)
Havent checked ECU codes yet (will do soon as i cbf)

Just wanted to know possiblities of this.

any way to test the VSS if taken out??

thanks

if your talking about an 88CRX, I dont think they have the VSS on the gearbox, the VSS is in the instrument cluster, so you have to lube up the cable to stop the needle from bouncing.

iijjee
09-08-2004, 07:42 PM
any aother ideas???????????????

Parts???

Will check back of speedo tomorrow!

Is NZ cheaper than Honda Oz???

iijjee