PDA

View Full Version : removing steering wheel

alphabeatsco
08-08-2004, 11:26 AM
does anyone know how to remove the EK steering wheels?
its got airbag?

SPEEDCORE
08-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Reason for removing an airbag equiped wheel?

Do you have a replacement one with airbag?

ECU-MAN
08-08-2004, 04:18 PM
tell us why and we will tell you how

mytoycivic
09-08-2004, 11:27 PM
hahahahahahahahahahaha!
"tell us why and we will tell you."
DANGER WILL ROBINSON
sorry its like 11.30pm, im tired...my apologies. but you have to admit, removing a steering wheel with an airbag is a big jobby...meh!

SiR JDM
10-08-2004, 10:30 PM
dont mean to hijack , but im after the same info, but for an EG wheel

reason : after my conversion the dighead dind't put the wheel on properly n i cant change properly because the wheel covers my tacho when they're straight >_<

can ne one tell me in a few steps how to remove it and put it back on straight?

thx guys!

BlacKEGPedroew
11-08-2004, 10:58 AM
when i took my eg wheel off,

- undo two screws at back of wheel (bottom of wheel, cant get screwdriver to the top ones)

- This will loosen centre cap, pull up center cap slowly, this will bend the metal but it is ok as the metal will bend back once the screws are back in.

- undo big ass bolt

- use a steering wheel puller to pull wheel off.

There might be a better way to do it but it worked for me!

Peter

bennjamin
11-08-2004, 11:22 AM
....the best way to take off a EG civic steering wheel ( and i guess any non-airbag steering wheel) isa to simply , get a flathead screwdriver , and slowly pry out the "H" embelem in the middle- revealing a large bolt in the middle.

Simply use your 4-point wheel brace ( that you should have to take off wheel nuts n change a tyre etc) - and the large bolt simply undos, and you then take it off !!!

Civic Type R
11-08-2004, 03:31 PM
disconnect the power from the battery before starting.
HINT 101 !

SiR JDM
11-08-2004, 05:10 PM
thanx alot guys for the replies

ill give it ago probably 2nite and let you kno how it turns out :)

BlacKEGPedroew
11-08-2004, 05:17 PM
i had no idea the centre H came out like that,
wicked!

ECU-MAN
11-08-2004, 09:51 PM
ok for SRS
NOTE: I nor OzHonda take responsibility in your airbag accidently going off and killing you or causing you or anyone els injury, do this at your own risk

removing the air bag to put on a different wheel without an airbag is illegal
read the entire thread or dont read it at all. do not take shortcuts.

disconnect both battery terminalz

looking at your stering wheel, look at the sides of it, you will see a cover on either side. remove the covers by pulling them off, you may need to use a flat head screw driver.

with the covers off look in there and you will see a screw with a torqx bit head on it. ( size 42 I think ). undo them, one on either side.

then gently pull the airbag towards you. note dont pull to hard as there is a wiring loom there, when the yellow connector is exposed you have to pull the foreskin of the connector back and pull on the other end. the connector should disconnect. NOTE the connector has a built in short connector to prevent accidental deployment of the air bag. place the air bag on a bench with the airbag facing the sky. the SRS ECU is bolted to the underside of the air bag, be carfull handling the airbag, its not a toy. now do what you have to do with the stearing wheel.

to put the airbag on connect the connector, you should hear the connector snap in. gently place the airbag into the stearing wheel. put your two (NEW) screws back in and tension them up with a tention wrench as per manufactures specifications refer shop manual. place covers back on and reconnect your battery. start the car looking at your SRS light, it should go out with in 8 seconds or so.

note.
- air bag ECU is on the back of airbag.
- replace the screws you took out as they have a locking compund on them.
- tention them to manufactures specs
- when removeing stearing wheel when you undo the bigass bolt leave it on a few turns, so when you yank on the wheel to remove it 1. you dont smack your self and knock your self out ( stupid I know but I have done it B4, out cold :shock: ) 2. you dont rip the connector out from the clock spring, which is vey very expensive.
- do not play with the air bag. its dangerous. its an explosive
- make sure the srs light goes out when your done.

NOTE: I nor OzHonda take responsibility in your airbag accidently going off and killing you or causing you or anyone els injury, do this at your own risk

Psyklops
11-08-2004, 10:10 PM
so what is the logic behind it being illegal to replace an airbag wheel with a non airbag wheel? Sure having an airbag is kinda re-assuring, but this means I cannot put a nice, comfortable leather sports wheel on and keep it road worthy? Wadda load of shit...while they're at it, why don't the government wrap us all in cotton wool and not let us outside to play? friggin nanny state

ECU-MAN
11-08-2004, 10:21 PM
dont know, the law is the law. cops can defect you if your windscreen washer bottle is empty. in the event of an accident and the driver dies, the authorities will come down like a tone of bricks on the person who removed the airbag.
same applies on ABS. if the car was released with it then it has to work. even your insurace will have the right not to forfill a claim because of undesclosed modifications. too much fine print IMO

Psyklops
11-08-2004, 10:31 PM
oh well....yet another innovative/cutting edge bit of legislation from those we trust and love :)