PDA

View Full Version : DC2 Vtir Steering issues

da spike
20-10-2007, 01:21 AM
Ive noticed recently that when im standing still and i turn the steering wheel the revs drop quite a bit and when its nearly in full lock it makes a weird noise (when its in full lock the noise is a little louder) while the revs being quite low... it has never stalled or anything it just drops idle to around 400-500rpm.

Ive checked the fluid levels and its all OK, is it my power steering pump?

tiet
20-10-2007, 07:21 AM
does it make a loud screeching sound?

T-onedc2
20-10-2007, 08:42 AM
It's your power steering pump but the sound and drop in revs at full lock you describe is quite normal as long as it's not excessive.

da spike
20-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Yea its like a screeching sound but its not like its extremely loud, but you can hear it when ur stopped and the windows are down when u turn. Any ideas on how much it would set me back to fix?

proton
20-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Yeah definitely your power steering pump. Someone quoted me upwards of $1000 to get it straight from Honda, but you can go searching around for second hand ones for $150ish

traumatized
23-10-2007, 02:54 PM
yep sounds like your power steering pump is on the way out as stated above

also when was the last time your power steering fluid was changed? if you bought the car second hand it may also indicate that the power steering fluid used was non-genuine. you could also try to change the fluid with genuine honda fluid to see if it help as it is only slightly making the noise at the moment

Shraka
23-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Don't ever leave your power steering equiped car at full lock. Hit lock, and back off a few mm. At full lock the power steering pump is trying to assist you in turning the wheel against the mechanical limits of your steering rack. It's not good for the pump.

da spike
26-10-2007, 03:53 PM
cool, thanks fellas

i'll havent changed the steering fluid since ive had the car, so i should do it soon :)