PDA

View Full Version : Water temp, oil temp, ol press gauges for bling? or are they useful?

dc2-forshizzle
20-10-2007, 07:53 PM
As per the title,

those that are running gauges, do they serve any purpose for the street?? They look pretty but i'm not sure if i'd ever make use of them. On the track I can see where they come into play, but most of us here only probably track once or twice a year. What are your thoughts? Thanks

CRXer
20-10-2007, 08:03 PM
total bling for street use.

existing water temp & low oil warning light are more than useful & reliable enough.

but if u want a racecar style cockpit in your car than go right ahead,do whatever makes u happy.

aaronng
21-10-2007, 07:55 AM
I'm a fan of oil temperature and oil pressure gauges on the street. The oil temperature gauge lets you know when you can start fanging, because the coolant warms up quicker than oil and the coolant temperature gauge on your dash is not a good indicator of how warm your oil/engine is.

The oil pressure gauge lets you detect problems before it actually occurs. By the time the oil pressure light comes on, your engine probably has some damage. Even when the oil level is at minimum and you are having problems engaging vtec, the light doesn't come on. The oil pressure gauge lets you know of potential problems, while the oil pressure light lets you know when you already have a problem. I know I would prefer an early warning rather than it telling me that I've already stuffed up my engine.

IEVAQ8
21-10-2007, 08:41 AM
i have oil pressure guauge for my dc2r and a boost gauge for obvious reasons..
the oil pressure guage was installed as soon as i got the car, like the guys have said, i would rather shut down my engine once i see a drop in oil pressure on the guage, rather than wait for the light ion the dash to switch on, which happens once there is no oilo pressure at all, which prob would have already mostlikely damaged something inside already

beeza
21-10-2007, 09:53 AM
I was going to install an Oil Temp guage in my car but I want to keep it a sleeper as much as possible.I don't want any prying eyes looking through window,seeing the guage and then thinking 'He must have something under the bonnet'.I park my car in a carpark 40 hrs a week.Am I too paranoid?

dc2-forshizzle
21-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Q for those running gauges...has it ever come to a point where your oil pressure was abnormally low and you switched off your engine? I like the idea of fanging the car only after a certain level of oil temp has come in though, i've never trusted the stock one.

aaronng
21-10-2007, 11:33 AM
I was going to install an Oil Temp guage in my car but I want to keep it a sleeper as much as possible.I don't want any prying eyes looking through window,seeing the guage and then thinking 'He must have something under the bonnet'.I park my car in a carpark 40 hrs a week.Am I too paranoid?

You're not too paranoid at all. Thefts do happen. If they will break into your car if they see a suction cup on the windscreen, imagine if they saw a gauge! I'd put it in the centre compartment with a lid (if you have no lid, custom make one). I'd leave it closed when parked and open it when driving.

aaronng
21-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Q for those running gauges...has it ever come to a point where your oil pressure was abnormally low and you switched off your engine? I like the idea of fanging the car only after a certain level of oil temp has come in though, i've never trusted the stock one.

The stock one is the coolant temperature, not your oil temperature. Coolant temperature usually warms up in less than half the time of oil temperature.

Limbo
21-10-2007, 11:48 AM
i got an oil temp & oil pressure guage. The oil pressure saved me when i sprung a leak in one of the hoses as the pressure dropped. The factory sensor only came on afterwards when it was really low, so i have to say it was a good warning indicator.

THe oil temp was good as it helps me see how hot the oil gets. I usually wait till i reach about 60 degrees before i start to fang it. On track it helps for you to monitor as if the temp gets too high over 100/110 degrees the car will start to loose power.

Water temp, i've always just used the factor one.

P.S also the look cool when they light up and especially when the oil pressure moves up and down ;)

beeza
21-10-2007, 06:27 PM
You're not too paranoid at all. Thefts do happen. If they will break into your car if they see a suction cup on the windscreen, imagine if they saw a gauge! I'd put it in the centre compartment with a lid (if you have no lid, custom make one). I'd leave it closed when parked and open it when driving.

Ah,good to hear....
Yeh I've had wheels on my car stolen b4.
Sleeper ftw!

dc2-forshizzle
21-10-2007, 07:31 PM
The stock one is the coolant temperature, not your oil temperature. Coolant temperature usually warms up in less than half the time of oil temperature.

Yeah I was referring to those who run aftermarket oil pressure gauges. I just wanted to see if it has saved anyone's engine when the pressure was too low. So far its saved one person :thumbsup:

iced
25-10-2007, 12:38 AM
i use water temp, oil temp, oil press for street.
its quite useful.
its good to know the cars vitals when you give your car stick or wringing its neck through the mountains.

the pressure i usually just look at max and min pressures once the engine oil is warmed to nominal temps.
you just glance at them when you feel the need to.