PDA

View Full Version : Apexi Power Fc

VT1-R
21-10-2007, 01:53 AM
Any 1 with b16a2 that is Apexi Power FC tuned?

Modded with:
I/H/E
CTR cams
exedy clutch
lightened flywheel
+tune

How much gain in hp did you get before tune.. jus a comparison.. tinking seriously to get power Fc despite cost factor in comparison to the more mild VAFC.. help pls.. noob here..

SeverAMV
21-10-2007, 02:42 AM
Any 1 with b16a2 that is Apexi Power FC tuned?

Modded with:
I/H/E
CTR cams
exedy clutch
lightened flywheel
+tune

How much gain in hp did you get before tune.. jus a comparison.. tinking seriously to get power Fc despite cost factor in comparison to the more mild VAFC.. help pls.. noob here..

head to ebay for it. its not that much more expensive than a vafc.

VT1-R
21-10-2007, 02:49 AM
yeah.. i know where to get it.. jus wanna find out any1 with EK4 has Power FC and wats the gains they got since using.. in terms of hp.. thanks for ur feedback though..

beeza
21-10-2007, 09:59 AM
I haven't got the answer but I was going to buy the AFC NEO.What's the advantage of a power FC over the AFC NEO?

SeverAMV
21-10-2007, 11:19 AM
the power fc is a full stand alone ecu. the afc neo is an interceptor type piggyback. there is a limit to what a piggyback can do and alter, and piggybacks arent as accurate, but for most people, theyre sufficient. power fc allows full adjustments to pretty much everything the factory ecu could do as the power fc range are designed off the factory ecu. if all you're looking for is a cheap fix, then get the neo. if you want full tuneability, get the power fc.

locote
21-10-2007, 01:06 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-APEXi-POWER-FC-Commander-Honda-B16B-Civic-EK9-CTR_W0QQitemZ4648241491QQihZ001QQcategoryZ43807QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Heres 1 for ya...
As long asu got CTR cams in yours should work fine just by swaping urs and ur stock ecu over..
U might need a conversion harness but...
I needed 1 for my cost me 180 from US but dollar transfer rate is alot better now so itll be cheaper for u

beeza
21-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Thanks Mate!

VT1-R
21-10-2007, 07:06 PM
locote!!.. i tot power FC jus fit in straight by taking stock ECU out and put in power FC tats it.. coz i buying mine 2nd hand from a fren.. pre tune to suit b16.. with pretty much same mods as mi.. for $500.. u tink its gd?..

and from the previous thread.. u say u went from 14.7 to 14.2 1/4 mile when u put in power fc in ur b18?.. u jus put in without tuning and the gains were so much? right? pls reply..thanks

locote
21-10-2007, 07:38 PM
500 is good price, got a hand controller too

VT1-R
21-10-2007, 08:46 PM
2 more question

a.) pre tuned to a b16 with identical mods is gd for me right so i dun have to go for a tune.. though it will not be at its max max max potential.. maybe a few hp diff at most?.. so its ok?

b.) u use Apexi power FC and without tuning, your car made 14.2 in 1/4 mile from 14.7?.. is tat true? or u did it with tune..

haha i ask this 2 questions specifically. thanks locote.. pls enlighten mi..

aaronng
21-10-2007, 09:09 PM
If you are going to get a PowerFC and not tune it, what's the point? The gains come from the tune, not the PowerFC itself.

Edit: I see it's pre-tuned to similar mods. Each engine is different, so you you can either get it to make slightly less power on your engine (which is good), or in worse case, the tune is too aggressive for your engine (say the condition of his engine is cleaner internally, thus has lower tendency to pre-ignite), then you can get damage. At least the PowerFC has a knock sensor warning and you can get it to warn you if it is the 2nd case, but if it does, you should get it retuned.

SeverAMV
21-10-2007, 10:21 PM
power fc has shown to give a big improvement over the factory ecu out of the box many times. cant really quote power gains for hondas, but a stocko supra twin turbo managed to gain an extra 30hp straight out of the box, and an extra 20hp on top of that with a tune. altho with an atmo honda, i wouldnt expect that much of a power gain, but the response should increase noticeably.

VT1-R
21-10-2007, 10:42 PM
so if i do not get the knock sensor warning.. its probably still safe to run with the guy's tuned settings and still gain some gd response yeah? but a further tune will give it max potential.. tat i get it.. but leave it for a mth or two.. to raise some funds for tune.. haha

SeverAMV
21-10-2007, 10:47 PM
so if i do not get the knock sensor warning.. its probably still safe to run with the guy's tuned settings and still gain some gd response yeah? but a further tune will give it max potential.. tat i get it.. but leave it for a mth or two.. to raise some funds for tune.. haha

probably dont fit it till you can afford to get it tweaked. better safe than sorry.

aaronng
21-10-2007, 10:47 PM
^^ Agreed.

VT1-R
21-10-2007, 11:57 PM
ok.. but cant i fit in and use the default honda b16 settings first .. if theres any pre set in?.. i am kinda off noob about ECUs.. pls enlighten mi..

and also if theres no knock sensor warning means i am safe right? so wats there to be afraid though? haha..

locote
22-10-2007, 12:37 AM
Using default settings would mean erasing the tuned map...
I have found pdfs before online for maps to use with power FC with the list of ppls mods...
But i havent been game enought to use them...
But yeah the car felt loads better goin from std Honda ECU to a powerFC.
I plugged the honda ECU back just to make sure it wasnt a mental thing and felt a difference...
And i proved it at the track..
Im sure ill gain more if i tune it but wats the point when my motor is still stock.
the only mods i have a 4-1 header exhaust and CAI...
FC would be tuned for use with 4-1 header and better flowing exhaust, as the Jap ITR comes with 4-1 and better exhaust from factory..

aaronng
22-10-2007, 01:03 AM
ok.. but cant i fit in and use the default honda b16 settings first .. if theres any pre set in?.. i am kinda off noob about ECUs.. pls enlighten mi..

and also if theres no knock sensor warning means i am safe right? so wats there to be afraid though? haha..

If you are a noob about ECUs, then do more research before you install it. It's worth getting since you have I/H/E and cams already. Just read to understand what the ECU can do, especially destructively to your engine if the tune is not suitable.

If there is no knock sensor, you can't detect knock, which is not as safe.

VT1-R
22-10-2007, 01:06 AM
so if u reckon i should get it tune again or jus use the pretune settings tat guy had.. i noe every engine is different.. but some guys told mi not to install it as it may harm my engine if the settings too aggressive..since theres knock sensor to warn mi of any danger.. install and wait a few mths for tune is still alright????.. wat u reckon locote..

locote
22-10-2007, 02:27 AM
I wouldnt use some one elses tune unless my mods are identical 100% to what it was tuned for and i would do it on a dyno with a A/F meter hooked up to it..

I ve had my on a dyno with preset tune and it ran safe..
I have chosen not to tune because of the cost involved in tunning a number of times...
once i open my motor up it will go straight to a dyno and my tuner but till then i keep my eye on the knock meter to make sure it doesnt go to dangerous levels...
highest my goes under full throttle at high rps 25 to 30
My car been old also has other rattles which register aswell

aaronng
22-10-2007, 02:30 AM
so if u reckon i should get it tune again or jus use the pretune settings tat guy had.. i noe every engine is different.. but some guys told mi not to install it as it may harm my engine if the settings too aggressive..since theres knock sensor to warn mi of any danger.. install and wait a few mths for tune is still alright????.. wat u reckon locote..
You are meant to NOT LET YOUR ENGINE KNOCK.

Even if it does warn you of danger, what are you going to do to avoid it? Are you doing to slow down everytime you hear the warning beep?

Save your money and tune it. The dodgy way is to install it, get it on the dyno but tell the mech that the car might detonate, misfire or run lean and to stop if he feels that. In this case, it depends how good the mech is and usually the damage is already done. If it is not suitable, then you have to uninstall it then. Waste of time and money.

I'd say buy the PowerFC, save up more money to get it tuned and when you have all the required cash, get it installed and tuned.

zco
22-10-2007, 12:00 PM
dont play if you dont have monies

VT1-R
22-10-2007, 07:03 PM
haha.. ok advise taken... i will install and tune it again.. thanks every1..

beeza
22-10-2007, 08:05 PM
I just read something very interesting about piggy back ECU's fro this old thread:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1094.html

This part:

"Basic piggy back ECU’s such as AFC’s e-Manage link all the very low end devices which don’t normally handle things like vtec / ignition or cold starts correctly are between 600 and 1500 These devices sux because over time your stock eca makes corrections and auto adjusts the settings back to stock… which is why you will forever be dyno tuning your car.. good for workshops because you have to keep paying them retuning fee’s !! eheh"

aaronng
22-10-2007, 08:10 PM
He's not using a piggyback.

beeza
22-10-2007, 08:30 PM
:o:o:o