PDA

View Full Version : B18C2 into EK1 - Registration

1996ek1
21-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Hey, this is probably wrong section, but i dont know what else suits...

but was planning on buying the VTiR halfcut for my EK1 from AKMotorworks, and when i asked what year it was, they were unsure, because my car is built date Aug 95' which would mean the halfcut would have to be same age or newer to that date doesnt it? (Is it specific to the month, or the year?) They said

Im not sure, ours are mechanical front cuts, receipts are
provided for vicroads, we havent had problems before.

If it ends up being older then my car, will i be able to get it registered?

z3lda
21-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Make sure the receipt reads a 1998 engine and you'll be fine.

no one can tell what year the engine is unless they know what their' lookin for, and most of the time, the year of the engine is covered by the exhaust manifold heat shield.

fatboyz39
21-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Yes has to be >98. Very hard to find a late model VTI-R halfcut teggy. Very easy to source 94-96. 98 halfcuts GOODLUCK.

1996ek1
21-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Yes has to be >98. Very hard to find a late model VTI-R halfcut teggy. Very easy to source 94-96. 98 halfcuts GOODLUCK.

Why >98?
My car is Aug 95' so wont that mean i need a 95+ model frontcut??

bennjamin
21-10-2007, 06:58 PM
why does the engine have to be 98+ ?
Generally (unless its recently changed) the engine has to be the same age or newer than the chassis , and also be a "replacement" engine ( that came in the same or similar chassis)

fatboyz39
21-10-2007, 07:02 PM
oh my bad...i didn't read your first post. Yes 95 then.

1996ek1
21-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Someone said to me they got a 94 VTi-R conversion into their 96 CXi , and it got blue slip and registered and everything...

I thought you need same age or newer, but i have no reason not to believe them (as in it doesnt sound like their just talking bullshit) ?

But again, yous just said same age or newer, making it 95+ So im confused....

bennjamin
21-10-2007, 08:36 PM
to be safe , get a engine the same age or newer than your chassis.
The reason the engine needs to be same age/newer is that you cannot have an older engine due to different emissions controls laws depending on engine ( for example you cant put a OBD1 engine into a OBD2 car unless you swap over the emissions controls and wiring etc.
(prime example is a B16a out of a EG put into a EK - same engine but one is OBD1 and the other is OBD2 - some different sensors

tRipitaka
21-10-2007, 08:39 PM
I thought you need same age or newer, but i have no reason not to believe them (as in it doesnt sound like their just talking bullshit) ?

But again, yous just said same age or newer, making it 95+ So im confused....

that's correct.. to do a legal engine conversion, it has to be the same age or newer.

Someone said to me they got a 94 VTi-R conversion into their 96 CXi , and it got blue slip and registered and everything...

the guys doing the blue slip need to know hundreds of different models of engines and cars.. so i'm sure they won't know exactly what year they're looking at, when they see a b18c2 or whatever you're getting.. so as z3lda said, if they see 1998 or whatever on the receipt, i'm sure they'll just go with it.

1996ek1
21-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Yea the problem was AKMotorworks doesnt know what year the engine is, i asked them to check and they said they not sure what the halfcut was from, so they cant give me an answer. Although i thought there was a little plate under the bonnet with the built date on it ?

1996ek1
21-10-2007, 08:41 PM
the guys doing the blue slip need to know hundreds of different models of engines and cars.. so i'm sure they won't know exactly what year they're looking at, when they see a b18c2 or whatever you're getting.. so as z3lda said, if they see 1998 or whatever on the receipt, i'm sure they'll just go with it.

So if i just ask AKMotorworks to write 1998 on the reciet, think that would work? lol

Also the guy said he can get me a blueslip, in sydney (same guy with the 94teg -> 96 CXi) for the conversion....
Just worried i wont be able to get rego... >< Dont wanna take a chance lol

bennjamin
21-10-2007, 08:43 PM
to get a blueslip ( AFAIK) is easy for a 1.8 into a 1.6 car.
You go to any legit blueslip place , they fill out a "adjustment of records" , write your new engine number on it and send it to the RTA. $30 later and its all legal.

1996ek1
21-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Oncei get a blueslip, do the RTA just check that i have a blueslip, and rego me? Is it that simple?

I think ill just go ahead not knowing year model, the chances of being 95-96 are higher then it being 94, and im pretty sure ill get a blueslip (if its as simple as them looking at a reciept or how ever they chose to do it)

Thanks guys!

Phuong1987
21-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Oncei get a blueslip, do the RTA just check that i have a blueslip, and rego me? Is it that simple?

I think ill just go ahead not knowing year model, the chances of being 95-96 are higher then it being 94, and im pretty sure ill get a blueslip (if its as simple as them looking at a reciept or how ever they chose to do it)

Thanks guys!

Yes it's that simple.
The rta will look at the blueslip as your new engine number will be on it. If you get pass blue slip, you will get your rego.

AsH_
21-10-2007, 09:16 PM
do we have blueslips in vic???

1996ek1
21-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Yes it's that simple.
The rta will look at the blueslip as your new engine number will be on it. If you get pass blue slip, you will get your rego.

Yea i was gonna go for it anyway.
Its not that i dont believe u got yours on a 94 teg, just that i thought laws were same or newer, which they are, and i was abit confused, but when i found out about their method of giving blueslip, like if reciept says 98 model, seeing its so simple, ill just go for it :D

z3lda
22-10-2007, 12:27 PM
get akmotorworks to look at the numbers stamped on head, it will tell u exactly what year the engine is unless the heads been swapped.

1996ek1
28-10-2007, 01:21 PM
After the conversion, what do i do about keys?

Do i have to get my keys reprogrammed to the new immobilizer?

And what ECU does a Integra VTi-R use, and what ECU does Civic VTi use?
Is the VTi-R ECU a P72 ?