PDA

View Full Version : car wont start

gnx1987
23-10-2007, 09:37 PM
a few weeks ago I went to start my car, it started, but then just died. not instantly but over about 2 seconds. so I figure it must be a fuel problem, most likely fuel pump. as I'm a bit of a procrastinator it took me a few weeks to take the tank out and take the fuel pump out but i got it done couple of days ago. my mechanic ordered me a new pump but got the wrong one even though he told the woman it was an import and everything but she told him the fuel pumps were the same from 1990 to 2000. anyway he got it to fit anyway so I chucked it back in. but it still wont start.

here's what i've checked. 1.the new pump was rewired correctly. 2.power is sent to the fuel pump (checked at the terminal under the back seat). 3.relay works. 4.no petrol is pumping to fuel rail. 5.hoses to tank put together correctly.

any ideas?

yes it does have spark.

tRipitaka
23-10-2007, 09:39 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31796&highlight=pgmfi

destrukshn
23-10-2007, 09:52 PM
how do you know the relay is working?
do you head it clicking?
when you turn the key on the "ON" position on the barrel?

gnx1987
23-10-2007, 10:01 PM
i checked the relay by removing it and doing the diagnosis like it says in the shop manual for the aus delivered civics and crx's. get battery put positive on # and negative on # and check continuity between # and #, on three different checks. there was continuity on all three checks it also clicked when the battery was connected to the 2 specified terminals

ECU-MAN
24-10-2007, 08:43 AM
it may pass thoes test and still be faulty. if it has dry joints then it will fail when it has load across the terminals.

16CTEG
24-10-2007, 09:15 AM
test your fuel relay grab a test n a friend. get to the fuel pump there's 2 wires a power n a earth. earth your test light n stick the probe into the power source get a mate to turn the igniton on. if it lights up for abotu 3 seconds then your relay is fine. if thats the case then your fuel pump possibly a blockage. not many other things i can think of. check if there's a breakage in your fuel lines. i renecetly thought my fuel pump was gone but turns out i was being a bad mechanic 2 days later. after having my car on the side of the road i worked out that it was my dizzy. the ignitor in the dizzy was gone!