PDA

View Full Version : changing springs for dc2

aydo14
23-10-2007, 11:11 PM
all the steps for switching a set of springs for another set of springs

would be great.

GIPONU
23-10-2007, 11:29 PM
umm u do know u need a machine/device thing to hold the strut and pull the spring down.. so doing it at home isnt recomended. and u would need special machine/device..

ucme
23-10-2007, 11:34 PM
umm no not really. its like a spring compressor. its a long threaded screw with two hooks and all you need is a spanner to compress it. You use two of them and changing springs at home is a VERY doable job.

i wish i took some pics when i changed them on my old eg

aydo14
24-10-2007, 11:03 PM
cheers, more info wuld be great

zpreme
24-10-2007, 11:42 PM
it's pretty much a clamp to hold the springs intact. it's a safety issue because the springs will release under pressure. you can use any sort of clamp.

ECU-MAN
25-10-2007, 08:59 AM
you can use any sort of clamp.

you can ?????

play it same and go to super cheap and purchase some spring compressors for $30. compress the spring evenly so it wont fly of the clamps and rip you head off.

saftey 1st

misteR_bilzz
25-10-2007, 01:08 PM
as ECU-MAN said. dont skimp out on 30bucks if something goes wrong its about 1tonn of compressed metal flying at you.

i used SiReals write up i own a civic but its the same concept.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45435
u just wont need to rip out ur rear seats just access the strut towers from your boot.

dsp26
27-10-2007, 12:37 PM
yeah dude... as above stated by ECU-MAN & misteR_bilzz.. need the compressors and it is very easy and do-able at home

my only tip would by to SLIGHTLY LOOSEN the nut that connects the shock rod to the mount BEFORE unbolting the mounts off the chassis

Compressing springs is gay in summer.. i'm such a wuss LOL!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/dsp26/Suspension/SpringCompressors.jpg

dsp26
27-10-2007, 12:40 PM
and yeah, do it properly... i got lazy with my last set (arms sore lol) and DIDN'T compress the springs enough, pointed it towards my fence and when the mount came off, dented the fence and took my ratchet with it.. and this was an oem spring that was MAYBE 50% compressed

yourfather
27-10-2007, 03:11 PM
umm u do know u need a machine/device thing to hold the strut and pull the spring down.. so doing it at home isnt recomended. and u would need special machine/device..
Shit advice. Its easy as, me, SiReal and 95civic changed 2 cars suspension in 2 nights, removed kings and put stock oems back on one, and put coils in the other.

umm no not really. its like a spring compressor. its a long threaded screw with two hooks and all you need is a spanner to compress it. You use two of them and changing springs at home is a VERY doable job.

i wish i took some pics when i changed them on my old eg
yes, good post!

it's pretty much a clamp to hold the springs intact. it's a safety issue because the springs will release under pressure. you can use any sort of clamp.
it's better to use spring compressors.

and yeah, do it properly... i got lazy with my last set (arms sore lol) and DIDN'T compress the springs enough, pointed it towards my fence and when the mount came off, dented the fence and took my ratchet with it.. and this was an oem spring that was MAYBE 50% compressed
use a good impact drill, saves you hours, honestly!

aydo14
07-11-2007, 09:10 PM
thanks guys some good info here, me n my mate think we'll give it a crack. plus ill be savin some buks by not gettin someone else to do it.

if we feel good enough we might take some pics for anyone else.

yourfather
07-11-2007, 09:56 PM
no problems mate. you might want to take before and after pictures and post them up so someone like yourself gets the opportunity to see what you have done. I didnt take pics with my integra, I should have .l... my bad