PDA

View Full Version : Engine kms

B18VTK
24-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Hey guy's im hoping you can help me out. Im still looking to buy a 2001 integra type-r dc2. or depending on money a 1997 civic vtir hatch. I was wondering how many km's a motor should have before I should avoid buying it. I am paranoid about buying one with over 100,000 kms. I would love to find one with less 80,000. oh and is true that due to the vtec system it takes engines using it a longer time to break in?. cheers guy's I would appreciate your opinion.

Chuckz
25-10-2007, 08:00 AM
dc2r are either close to or over the 100k mark. just have to look around and hopefully u'll find an owner that looks after it well

Spunkymonkey
25-10-2007, 08:07 AM
With hondas its not the kms its done, its how well its been maintained.....

our ek4 has over 270,000kms on it, and doesn't blow any smoke or burn any oil.

Borg
25-10-2007, 09:55 AM
I dont think you can make a sweeping statement about the kms on a car.

A car with over 100,000 kms that has been well maintained, regularly serviced and treated well is a better buy than one that has done 50,000kms but hasn't been looked after.

The best advice is to find a car in your price range regardless of kms on it, and get it checked out completely by a mechanic you trust, check the service record, and look out for any signs of major body repairs.

And if anything doesn't look or feel right, just walk away.

Limbo
25-10-2007, 10:59 AM
it will be hard trying to find one with less than 100k on the clock.
These engines are usually still in excellent condition over 100k.
I'd prob try to get one under 200k if possible, but depending on how well they have been looked after they are generally not too many km issues in relation to the engine.

I've seen a engine with 270k on the clock still running excellent times down the 1/4 mile.

Just make sure that the car is not worn out, as above stated

xntrik
25-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Its all about how the previous owner drives the car. KMs is just like experience.

VT1-R
25-10-2007, 12:48 PM
haha.. in australia..if u wanna find cars over 10 yrs old and lesser than 100km.. be prepared to pay for it.. Eg. civic vti-r 97 or under...

if u wan DC2R.. 80km and below is still possible.. i seen some for sale.. go carsales etc.. probably looking at 19k-25k.. depending on mods etc..

gd luck.. make sure u squeeze the seller though.. u have the money.. and cash is king..

b4dnuf
25-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Cars under 100K like stated previously cost more.
My DC2R had 120 k's on it and it was well maintained. Clean engine, new belts etc.
Look at the service history when was the last service and wat was done to it.

Joeyboy
25-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Don't worry too much about the K's with Honda engines...they're built to last!! But it all depends how well the previous owner has taken cared of it (meaning regular servicing, what oil was used, how often they changed oils and oil filters etc). You should have NO PROBLEMS with Honda engines over 100k.

Mine has done over 247k and its still going strong. no problems with engine and no gray smoke at all. I know someone who had a Honda with more than 300k and he had no problems at all...the car was still running real smooth.

Just make sure to ask for logbooks (if any) and just how often they changed the oil & oil filter and what oil they used previously and what other servicing it has done. For over 100k, they would have at least changed the timing belt (which one would do every 100k) and fuel filter every 50k and even spark plugs.

Hope that helps.......

steve88
25-10-2007, 02:07 PM
exactly, i got 179xxx on my ek1. only problem im having is the gearbox bearings! excellent engine. could probably use an engine bay clean though.

AzKik-R
27-10-2007, 08:45 PM
wahooo, I Scored my dc2 off a guy who brought the car, but was given a work car, so the dc2r sat in the garage and got taken out twice a month, it had 46k on the clock when i picked it up. Brought the car for $20k, it is in excellent condition.
Also, I remember some of the guys back home who said the honda engines seam to push harder over 200k like the engine had to be run in or something to that effect

roar
28-10-2007, 07:05 PM
yer that is somewhat true...

in bmi:type r's...they talk about how nsx's with 150,000km on the motor generally get higher power readouts when compared to much newer engines...perhaps it is something to do with all the moving parts moving so much that it grinds down small surface imperfections inside the engine so in effect you get less internal resistance...just a thought

EG30
29-10-2007, 07:18 AM
I much rather buy a car that is driven mainly on longish trips with 150,000kms then one driven mainly on short trips/ stop-go city traffic with less than 80,000kms. Just think of the wear and tear on the drivetrain in stop start traffic esp for the gearbox/clutch/mounts. Not to mention owners with low mileage cars demand and lot more $ as they are more sought after from the public.

We bought a 1999 d2r ( build no 226 )about a year ago from Qld with just over 100,000kms that has been regularly serviced ( at least every 10,000kms, sometimes 5000kms ) and driven along the southern coast of Qld by the prev owner. All I could say it's mechanically perfect, with no oil leaks anywhere, doesn't burn any of its 5W30 oil and when I changed the oil after 7500kms it's still quite clean despite my hard driving at times. Had the oil analysed by a lab too and that came out spot on as well with no excessive wear particles detected.

The only thing I would pay close attention to a dc2r ( apart from an ex bogan's riced up car and prev major accidents ) is the gearbox, if abused by its previous owner(s) and it crunches gears the synchros are not cheap to replaced due to the labour involved.

AzKik-R
30-10-2007, 06:18 PM
does make me sad that the guys at HoMoCo havn't got the parts grinding quite right? ooooor is it that phoenomononononon or however you spell it where the engine gains that sudden burst of life right before it keils over and dies?