PDA

View Full Version : Short shifter

aeuro
25-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Anyone tried this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CompTech-Honda-2003-2007-Accord-6MT-Short-Shifter-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33736QQihZ003QQitem Z130165133374QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Installation instructions -
http://comptechusa.web01.yourhost.com/instructions.htm

Pumped
25-10-2007, 02:42 PM
yep, ive got one,

Goes aight

terryansimon
25-10-2007, 03:04 PM
any picture of it after it's installed?

Pumped
25-10-2007, 03:14 PM
It doest actually make your gear stick sit any lower,
Just makes the shift shorter :)

aaronng
25-10-2007, 04:16 PM
any picture of it after it's installed?

It looks EXACTLY the same as before installation. LOL.

It shortens the up-down throws. It's pretty short. But the left-right throws are still the same as stock. I prefer the Spoon/Mugen shifter. It's not as short, but it shortens up-down and left-right by about 1/2 the amount of the comptech, but it has much heavier springs and solid bushings. It feels very nice.

Suntzu
25-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Im a bit confued by these options. Theres comptech, mugen and another type on ebay.

i want a shorter throw, thats slicker, not necessarily a shorter stick....

aaronng
25-10-2007, 04:45 PM
By "shorter", I mean shorter throws. You can always shorten the stick by cutting it and then retapping the thread.

terryansimon
25-10-2007, 06:30 PM
oh. I knew that. :o

I was always under the impression that if a short shifter was stuck in, the length of the transmission stick/thingy will be shorter as well. heh. I guess not! :p

Suntzu
25-10-2007, 07:25 PM
I think it would be a great help if someone listed the available kits, the changes made, and the approx cost and complexity. I know its a bit of work but Ill buy them 3 schooners next time I see them for sure :)

aaronng
25-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Comptech and Spoon/Mugen.
Comptech goes to the bottom of the existing stick, the Spoon/Mugen replaces the whole assembly below the gearknob. Differences in feel and throw, I've posted it above and in addition, the comptech one can enhance any notchy feel that your gearbox already has.
I think that's it. :)

stephen8512
26-10-2007, 01:01 AM
Comptech and Spoon/Mugen.
Comptech goes to the bottom of the existing stick, the Spoon/Mugen replaces the whole assembly below the gearknob. Differences in feel and throw, I've posted it above and in addition, the comptech one can enhance any notchy feel that your gearbox already has.
I think that's it. :)

listen to the man
hahahaha and aaron has had first hand exp driving my euro with the spoon ss
personally i thought it was a good mod, but im glad i didnt pay full price for a brand new spoon ss. it was used, but in awesome condition

aaronng
26-10-2007, 07:32 AM
listen to the man
hahahaha and aaron has had first hand exp driving my euro with the spoon ss
personally i thought it was a good mod, but im glad i didnt pay full price for a brand new spoon ss. it was used, but in awesome condition

It was so good that I got one as well and I'm using it in my Euro now. :thumbsup:
Go for the Mugen one as it is about $50-80 cheaper than the Spoon. Both are the same as they come from the same manufacturer.

tony1234
26-10-2007, 07:37 AM
It was so good that I got one as well and I'm using it in my Euro now. :thumbsup:
Go for the Mugen one as it is about $50-80 cheaper than the Spoon. Both are the same as they come from the same manufacturer.
How much is the Mugen ss??

aaronng
26-10-2007, 08:10 AM
About $320-350 or so, depending where you buy it from. It's cheaper if you buy from overseas.

Suntzu
26-10-2007, 08:48 AM
How difficult is the mugen install?

So you rate the mugen a LOT better than just the comptech?

aaronng
26-10-2007, 09:11 AM
How difficult is the mugen install?

So you rate the mugen a LOT better than just the comptech?
Basically:

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4229/gearshiftbw5.jpg

You have to take out the shifter trim, the cup holder trim, the armrest trim ashtray trim and the centre compartment trim. Then you do the same thing as the comptech and remove the main up-down shifter cable from the bottom of the stick. Finally it's just unclipping the 2 shifter cables from the original assembly and 4 bolts. Remove the assembly and replace with the mugen.

I prefer the mugen eventhough the throws are longer than the comptech because it has a heavier spring/solid bushes and because BOTH up-down and left-right distances are shortened appropriately.

In contrast, the comptech shortens only up-down movement, so doing a quick shift from 2nd to 3rd will take a little bit of practice, but I'm sure you'll be able to shift it as fast as the mugen when you get used to it.

Cranial
26-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Out of curiousity... is it possible to add the Comptech Short Shifter to the Mugen assembly? Would that make the shifts (up-down anyway) super short?

aaronng
26-10-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm not 100% sure. I wouldn't want to do that though. The mugen short shifter makes the Euro's shifter feel like a 2005 EP3R's. I don't think I want it too short as it would be very easy to misshift.

aeuro
28-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the info aaronng. Where did you buy the Mugen short shifter from? I haven't been able to find one on the web so far.

aaronng
28-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the info aaronng. Where did you buy the Mugen short shifter from? I haven't been able to find one on the web so far.

I had a friend buy it for me from a shop in HK. You can get any of the modding workshops to order it in. They won't keep it in stock here in Australia.

EG5
28-10-2007, 08:23 PM
I had a friend buy it for me from a shop in HK. You can get any of the modding workshops to order it in. They won't keep it in stock here in Australia.

We have Mugen short shifter in stock :wave:

aaronng
28-10-2007, 08:46 PM

^^ there you go, EG5 (JDMYard) has them for $345. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65648&highlight=accord+euro

doosra
02-12-2008, 09:53 PM
i'm thinking about a short shifter..

The comptech ones shipped from states cost $150 AUD, and then there's these neuspeed ones for $150 shipped.. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99568&highlight=short+shifter

If i didn't want to spend $350 for a mugen one, would you recommend any of the above ones.. ? is it well worth the money?

aaronng
02-12-2008, 11:06 PM
I didn't like the comptech because it shortened the up-down movement only. The left-right distance was still the same as stock.

Crapdaz
03-12-2008, 06:19 AM
agreed with aaron, best to get the mugen one!
if you have a DIY you can get it installed in <30mins - 1hr, but when i did it i didnt want to do anything wrong so i took my time about 1.5hrs.

The only hard thing is the U clip which tightens the center shift cable when you pry it out have to wriggle one side than the other side.

even though its dear because it's the full shifter assembly rather than an adapter.

you can also try www.kingmotorsports.com (http://www.kingmotorsports.com) but because it's a US site it'll be very dear.
go for JDMYARD FTW!

i'm thinking about a short shifter..

The comptech ones shipped from states cost $150 AUD, and then there's these neuspeed ones for $150 shipped.. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99568&highlight=short+shifter

If i didn't want to spend $350 for a mugen one, would you recommend any of the above ones.. ? is it well worth the money?
you can always go for the adapter ones, can't rmemeber which other brands have them but look for TSX short shifter.

Suntzu
03-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Yeah but whats the verdict on the Mugen one? Worth the $350 or not? Theres a trader here with them and I was gunna buy but got gunshy as Im not really sure if i will like it at all...

Crapdaz
03-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Yeah but whats the verdict on the Mugen one? Worth the $350 or not? Theres a trader here with them and I was gunna buy but got gunshy as Im not really sure if i will like it at all...

It's more solid and heavier than the stock (knife in butter).

The knob will sit lower also depending on your shift knob design.

The throws are pretty short and more solid feel when shifting.

The choice ultimately is up to you Russ. :p In my opinion if you track your car it is worth it.

aaronng
03-12-2008, 09:51 AM

Simple solution. Come to Sydney with Justin the next time he is up. Quite a few of us here have the mugen short shifter.

ndeuro_
03-12-2008, 10:43 AM
im thinking of gettin the stock shifter out. get it cut shorter n reweld. this wont make the shift shorter but it will make the throw heavier cause theres less lever.

aaronng
03-12-2008, 10:56 AM
im thinking of gettin the stock shifter out. get it cut shorter n reweld. this wont make the shift shorter but it will make the throw heavier cause theres less lever.

That defeats the purpose then, because shorter lever, heavier throw, less precise shifting, worse performance.

Crapdaz
03-12-2008, 11:07 AM
That defeats the purpose then, because shorter lever, heavier throw, less precise shifting, worse performance.

all i have to say ROFL!

ndeuro_
03-12-2008, 11:11 AM
just like the look of a shorter looking shifter

aaronng
03-12-2008, 01:47 PM
just like the look of a shorter looking shifter

Get a countersunk gearknob instead.

ndeuro_
03-12-2008, 02:32 PM
what do they look like

aaronng
03-12-2008, 02:44 PM
what do they look like

They look like a gearknob. Countersunk means that the threads go into the gearknob so that you can tighten it all the way down to the bottom of the hole. Like this image from jdmshit:

http://www.jdmshit.com/parts/interior/ARCknob.jpg

enkay
03-12-2008, 05:56 PM
^^^ i got exact same one =D

edit: heres how it looks, i got the mugen ss too

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7666/photo0090bd5.jpg

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/5263/photo0093xc0.jpg

Adrian Euro
03-12-2008, 07:35 PM
^^^ i got exact same one =D

edit: heres how it looks, i got the mugen ss too

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7666/photo0090bd5.jpg

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/5263/photo0093xc0.jpg

So the Mugen has shorter throw but not shorter stick like this? Is that correct?

aaronng
03-12-2008, 07:48 PM
So the Mugen has shorter throw but not shorter stick like this? Is that correct?

That is the mugen in the pic. It is not the stick alone that determines how long it is. If the knob is counter sunk, it will go very low. The pic is ARC countersunk knob + mugen short shifter.

sinobi
03-12-2008, 10:07 PM
the price of the mugen ss from jdm yard has gone up to $390 due to the fall in the aussie dollar, ive ordered one over 2 months ago. they told me it would be in within 2-3 weeks, but im still waiting. hopefully it should arrive soon.

Adrian Euro
03-12-2008, 10:42 PM
That is the mugen in the pic. It is not the stick alone that determines how long it is. If the knob is counter sunk, it will go very low. The pic is ARC countersunk knob + mugen short shifter.

And where may you find ARC countersunk knob and at what price? Thanks

doosra
03-12-2008, 10:43 PM
the price of the mugen ss from jdm yard has gone up to $390 due to the fall in the aussie dollar, ive ordered one over 2 months ago. they told me it would be in within 2-3 weeks, but im still waiting. hopefully it should arrive soon.

390, damn... Might hold off...I ordered a BC exhaust from them and they said roughly 5-10 working days and it was over 2 months so i decided to cancel.... I wonder if the batch even came in... I wouldnt hold my breath for something thats not in stock

ndeuro_
03-12-2008, 10:50 PM
looks tuff

doosra
03-12-2008, 10:54 PM

I ordered a BC exhaust from them and they said roughly 5-10 working days and it was over 2 months so i decided to cancel.... I wonder if the batch even came in... I wouldnt hold my breath for something thats not in stock

Crapdaz
04-12-2008, 06:15 AM
rofl doosra double post, yeh i know my mate waited for TODA for 2-3months before for a final drive + lightweight clutch & f/w

ozzie dollars sux.

tony1234
04-12-2008, 06:27 AM
rofl doosra double post, yeh i know my mate waited for TODA for 2-3months before for a final drive + lightweight clutch & f/w

ozzie dollars sux.
Au $ is shit ATM..64A$:thumbdwn:

aaronng
04-12-2008, 06:54 AM
And where may you find ARC countersunk knob and at what price? Thanks

Try searching the trader section. They sell it in there.

You don't need to buy ARC. You can buy any other countersunk gear knob with the correct tread size (M10 x 1.5)

Euro858
04-12-2008, 01:20 PM
yep, ive got one,

Goes aight

Where did you buy yours from and how much?

EG5
04-12-2008, 01:29 PM
I ordered a BC exhaust from them and they said roughly 5-10 working days and it was over 2 months so i decided to cancel.... I wonder if the batch even came in... I wouldnt hold my breath for something thats not in stock

The new batch is not even out in the market yet , still in production / manufacture process , thats why We cant get them at all. . If they are in stock in overseas yes 10 working days.

sinobi
04-12-2008, 07:45 PM
The new batch is not even out in the market yet , still in production / manufacture process , thats why We cant get them at all. . If they are in stock in overseas yes 10 working days.

hey, so theres no stock on the mugen ss kit?
its been a while.

EG5
04-12-2008, 09:50 PM

Pm sent

Accord Basic
06-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Hi guy, I need the answer urgent, I have problem to pry the centre shift cable clip.
What do you mean PRYING?
Thanks

aaronng
06-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Pry out the U-shaped clip using a flat head screwdriver, then you can pop apart the shift linkage from the stick.

Accord Basic
07-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Thanks Arrong, I manage to pull the u clip out, very hard pull. and I need to remove one more trim (flipping door drawer) above to have more room to pull the pin out. I have installed the mugen short shifter now. and putting back all the plastic trim now. I hope I can finish soon and have a test drive.

Crapdaz
09-06-2009, 07:09 AM
Thanks Arrong, I manage to pull the u clip out, very hard pull. and I need to remove one more trim (flipping door drawer) above to have more room to pull the pin out. I have installed the mugen short shifter now. and putting back all the plastic trim now. I hope I can finish soon and have a test drive.
yeh i agree when you have no clue on what your doing the U clip is hard, after you figure it out you realise you just have to wriggle on both sides and it pops out so easily. :p

enkay
09-06-2009, 09:50 AM
yeh i agree when you have no clue on what your doing the U clip is hard, after you figure it out you realise you just have to wriggle on both sides and it pops out so easily. :p

lol good ol u-clip, got me stuck on that part for a while too back when i did it lol

Accord Basic
12-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks all of you, I have it installed a week now, just loving it. but a bit solid shift and harder. but much quicker and also no clash bcos I normally release the clutch too fast when using normal shift lever. but now the timing just right.

aaronng
12-06-2009, 04:56 PM
I like how it springs to the middle quicker, so 2-3 shifts are damn quick now. :)

craze
12-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Would this have a shorter throw compared to the comptech add on?

dtngo
13-06-2009, 12:09 AM
I remember Aaron saying the vertical (up/down) shifts are closer on the Comptech. The drawback of the Comptech is it doesn't shorten the horizontal distance.

craze
13-06-2009, 03:24 AM
If you're looking to get one, i got a new one from the states for sale.

Pm the price lol

Just want to know if it is a knotchy as the comptech one because i have the comptech one atm

Crapdaz
15-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Pm the price lol

Just want to know if it is a knotchy as the comptech one because i have the comptech one atm
hmmmm.... last time you changed gearbox oil?

anyhow the mugen ss is more solid and gives it a better feel.
You'll know when it's slotted in cause you feel it click in.

aaronng
15-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Pm the price lol

Comptech is notchier because the vertical shift distance is shorter.

craze
15-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Comptech is notchier because the vertical shift distance is shorter.

I've heard that since the comptech is a add on it is bad for your transmission in the long run is this true? Would the mugen ss have the same effect even tho you change the whole unit?

aaronng
15-06-2009, 11:11 PM
I've heard that since the comptech is a add on it is bad for your transmission in the long run is this true? Would the mugen ss have the same effect even tho you change the whole unit?

The quicker you shift, the more wear on your synchros. So the comptech will increase wear over stock. The mugen will also increase wear over stock, but it is not as bad as the comptech.

Accord Basic
21-02-2010, 08:35 PM
I found the Mugen short shifter is very good item but the 6th gear lever positiion is very close the handbrake handle. May be I got a big hand and long finger. Now i Know why the original gear lever had a bent.

rayd
22-02-2010, 06:53 PM
its next to impossible to find a nice gear knob for my euro... anyone suggest any places??

Accord Basic
23-02-2010, 03:03 AM
I like the Skunk2 gear knob with grey colour. ppl said is heavier than stock and better for shifting. JDM yard selling for $90. I am interested it as well. Other option is using the DC5R, I have try but not really match with my car and the luxury trim. It may be good for sport euro.

stink
08-03-2010, 09:24 PM
hi raising an old post here but just installed my mugen ss today but having trouble reattaching the boot cover to the gearknob now. just doesnt want to attach for some reason:confused: did anyone else have this problem?

aaronng
09-03-2010, 07:23 AM
hi raising an old post here but just installed my mugen ss today but having trouble reattaching the boot cover to the gearknob now. just doesnt want to attach for some reason:confused: did anyone else have this problem?

Did you break any of the clips on the boot clip?

stink
09-03-2010, 09:13 AM
i dont think so. when i was putting the leaver cover back over the stick i did find it difficult to get over. but i thought that was cause the stick isnt bendy anymore

aaronng
09-03-2010, 09:26 AM
i dont think so. when i was putting the leaver cover back over the stick i did find it difficult to get over. but i thought that was cause the stick isnt bendy anymore
Just compare your original shifter stick to the mugen one to see if the mugen is a bit thicker. If it is thicker, then you will want to use a file to widen the hole on that boot clip. Remove the clip from the boot by cutting the cable tie before you do any filing.

stink
09-03-2010, 09:33 AM
god this is weird but i finally managed to get it on by first screwing on the gear knob attached to the connector and then connect the cover back on. makes no sense at all why it should make a difference:confused:
just glad to be enjoying my new shifter. freakin sweet:p

stink
09-03-2010, 09:35 AM
thanks aaron i noticed taht it was thicker too and was just about to file it when i got lucky with the above combo.

Accord Basic
10-03-2010, 06:42 AM
mine didn't have this problem. perfect fit. but there is a plastic cap on the gear stick. I did remove the plastic cap. then perfect. the leather boot just too long for the SS.

craze
11-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Which provides a shorter throw, the mugen ss or the comptech one?

Mr.DC2
12-03-2010, 09:20 PM
how close does the gear knob get to the hand brake when its in reverse with the mugen short shifter ?

2 cm between ?

aaronng
12-03-2010, 11:40 PM
how close does the gear knob get to the hand brake when its in reverse with the mugen short shifter ?

2 cm between ?

Probably 3-4. You can still put it in reverse and then release the handbrake after

Accord Basic
13-03-2010, 11:36 PM
yes, still can do the reverse and release hand brake. about 3cm gap. I might have a fat hands compare the others. hehehee.. sometime my tumb hit the hand brake when shifting to reverse.

oongie
15-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Which provides a shorter throw, the mugen ss or the comptech one?

Comptech will only shorten the throw between 1-2 3-4 5-6 i.e the vertical throw.
Whereas the Mugen will shorten vertical and horizontal throw.

npcan2
25-05-2010, 11:54 AM
This is a bit off topic, but is there any way to remove just the shifter stick from the assembly?

I want the shift knob to sit about an inch lower. I went to a machinist guy at uni and he told me I had to remove the shifter stick.

You can always shorten the stick by cutting it and then retapping the thread.
In other words, how do I do this? ^^^

Cheers

rayd
25-05-2010, 12:19 PM
This is a bit off topic, but is there any way to remove just the shifter stick from the assembly?

I want the shift knob to sit about an inch lower. I went to a machinist guy at uni and he told me I had to remove the shifter stick.

Cheers

i did this a couple weeks ago when installing my comptech short shifter.

used a 10.1 or 10.2 die and a wrench :)

look up tap and die set, should answer all ur questions.

ill post a pic up aswell soon :D

aaronng
25-05-2010, 06:45 PM

Cheers
Wrap the area around the gearstick with lots of cotton cloth. Take a hacksaw and cut the stick shorter. Be careful not to slip because you are cutting it sideways. Then use a tap and die set (M10 x 1.5) and rethread the stick.

npcan2
25-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks Aaronng!
I will do that this weekend!
If I could give u rep points I would. :D

rayd
04-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Heres a pic of mine installed with AP2 gear knob.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x223/rayd89/Euro/IMG_97321.jpg

npcan2
04-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Damn that looks good!

How does it feel when you drive?

rayd
04-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Damn that looks good!

How does it feel when you drive?

great mate,

with the short shifter, it feels similar to my mates S2000!

terryansimon
15-01-2012, 11:42 PM
apologies in resurrecting a thread that was last touched in 2010.... but I figured it's way better than starting a new thread eh?

anyways, apart from my embarrassingly noob question in the beginning of this thread, I was wondering if somebody can help me regarding the short shifter.

I'm thinking of getting a Mugen short shifter from one of our traders. because I am not the most mechanically inclined (heck, I don't even have the appropriate tools!), I was wondering if anybody can point me in the direction of an installer who can do it for me in Melbourne? a workshop or something, or a friendly forum member. anybody.

I've yet to buy the short shifter, but I thought I'd do my research now first.

roony
17-01-2012, 12:37 AM
If one is to change to a short shifter like the mugen one, should the bushings be changed too? or is the stock one good enough to keep, keeping in mind the cars are aging now?

aaronng
17-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Any decent mech can do it. I had mine installed at my friend's house. 2 guys and some beer = short shifter install.

roony: No, you don't need to change the bushings. The stock bushings are fine. My Euro is a 2004 and the bushings are still good.

roony
17-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Great, thanks

roony
27-01-2012, 02:40 PM
anyone go through this thread,

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-engine/51710-quest-ultimate-affordable-tsx-short-shifter-8.html

comments?